Dr. Joyce Brothers - On the subject of getting fired and bouncing back!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Dr. Joyce Brothers - On the subject of getting fired and bouncing back!

I read this with my morning coffee and thought that it was worth sharing here.  It's a little quiz that I think is well worth takeing and reading.

As unemployment in America hovers near the 6 percent mark, being laid off or fired has become a real-life nightmare for many people who depend on a regular paycheck. Can you cope and bounce back if that dreaded pink slip ends up on your desk? Take this quiz to find out. Answer honestly, and then compare yours with the "best" answers and the explanations that follow.

1. If I find myself suddenly without a job through no fault of my own, the best thing to do would be to hit the ground running -- start job-hunting the next day.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

2. Lists are fine for the grocery store, but not for helping me figure out my future.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

3. The best thing to do with my anger about being fired is to confront it head-on.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

4. I should act as if everything is fine in order to restore my self-confidence.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

5. It is better not to think about all the anxieties caused by the loss of my job.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

6. It is not helpful to work part time or to volunteer while I am out of work. Job-hunting should be my full-time occupation.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

7. Wishful thinking about what things could be like if they work out is just setting myself up for disappointment.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( )

8. There is no way that people who interview me won't see me as a loser if I have been fired.
    TRUE ( ) FALSE ( ) ANSWERS:

1. FALSE. Even though you might be in a panic to find a new job right away, force yourself to take a week or two off to get over the shock and collect your thoughts. Potential employers will not even want to talk to people who are on the rebound fresh from a firing. Relax.

2. FALSE. Two lists will actually help you expand your horizons. One should focus on your assets and weaker points, and another on the same aspects of your former job. Now you can see how your immediate goal -- a job -- fits into your ultimate goal: working toward what you really want to do with your life. With nothing to lose, a change of direction now just might suit you.

3. TRUE. Trying to suppress your anger at being fired will not keep you from falling apart -- it is more likely to add to your stress and make you an unlikely candidate for being hired to do anything. Don't be afraid to be angry; you've earned it!

4. TRUE. Act as if you still have a job. You do, in a way -- your job is to find a new one! You should get up in the morning, get dressed, make appointments, go out, and carry on as though you were confident, as though you were involved in having your career move forward, and as though you were engaged with people. All the while, your subconscious mind will be working to help you find the right direction.

5. FALSE. One of the best things you can do with your fear and anxiety about losing your job and finding another one is to write down every single anxiety you have now: money problems, your career direction, your marriage and so on. People who acknowledge their fears and set them down to be studied have gone on to find jobs more readily than those who haven't, research has shown us.

6. FALSE. First of all, a meaningful volunteer job in the same area in which you have skills or a good part-time job can sometimes help to beef up your resume, especially if your job search is stretching on into months. But beyond that, you will have the opportunity to network and meet others in your chosen field. Don't hesitate to use the contacts you make, and consider turning those you meet into friends. Replacing some of the social world you lost along with your job is a worthwhile goal.

7. FALSE. Don't regard it as "wishful" thinking. What we are really talking about is "constructive" thinking. Visualize the job interview and how you will handle it successfully. Think about the offer, the right amount of salary you deserve, and how it would feel to take the job and give it your best. Feel the joy of success. All this will help you set a goal and start acting upon it to ultimately achieve success.

8. FALSE. If you've followed all these tips and are up, out and busy each day, you will already have achieved the most difficult part of the goal: to have an aura of success around you as you seek to move forward. I call this the Positive Halo Effect, and if you come across as well-groomed, energetic and a hard worker, it will be awfully hard for anyone to connect the label "loser" to someone like you!

If you answered six of these eight questions correctly, you will be approaching your job hunt primed for success.

Susie in MN

Registered User writtenonmybody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a great post! Thank you for sharing!