Food Stamp Recipients Pinched by High Food Prices
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Food Stamp Recipients Pinched by High Food Prices

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/Wi...4872598&page=1

Here is another article about how food stamps are not enough.

Take a read and see how many things you can find that are just wrong with the article.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It really is sad how much things are costing these days. I feel sorry for people who are having trouble just getting food to eat.

What were you trying to point out is "wrong"?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me too. I could not imagine not having enough to eat, but if the economy continues to decline at this rate, I might one day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean Daniel, a spokeswoman for the Agriculture Department, "Food stamps were designed to be a supplement to the food budget," she said. They "were never intended to be the entire budget."

I think this helps to say it all!!!! Too many depend on Food Stamps for their entire budget...very sad.

soda pop, bags of cookies and chips

I do NOT think these things should be included in the food stamp program....ONLY healthy foods should be premitted. This is junk food that the families are wasting their free money on. Again, Very sad, IMO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree that with the high costs of food, we maybe just be eating out of the pantry for a while. As for the foodstamps, I agree that it shouldnt pay for ALL of someone's food but help them with the majority, however in some cases even that just isnt enough these days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can be so creative with that amount of money to spend on food. The problem is that people in general don't know how to or don't want to. I would agree that it isn't a fun way to live, but you could survive and do okay with some effort. It just saddens me that the article states that soda, chips and snacks are cheaper than real food. They make it sound like everyone should just throw in the towel and not even try to make it work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My opinion was that you can buy cheaper charcoal than Kingsford.That would save money.Why in the world would anyone shop at at convenience store? Wait until the next morning and go to the market, where you can make healthier choices, plus stretch the budget further.(Even at a convenience store I can find healthier, less costly items than soda, chips, pop.. Just to tide anyone over till morning. No one in the pic looks STARVING to me.)I pick up every penny that is on the ground. I cannot fathom free food, regardless of my income.This is one GOOD America.We are so lucky here.(The WIC program here is changing to generic items only. Good idea. Well fed, less cost.Maybe we will see the food stamp program revamped.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by VanVivCam View Post

I do NOT think these things should be included in the food stamp program....ONLY healthy foods should be premitted. This is junk food that the families are wasting their free money on. Again, Very sad, IMO
    I agree. I'd like to see food stamps go the way of WIC where people receive vouchers for something specific and healthy. The point of food stamps is to help keep people fed. They do not need to be fed junk food, nor should the government be expected to be sole provider for them and their families.

My sister works at a grocery store and has frequent stories about food stamp customers who spend all their money on steaks and seafood at the beginning of the month and have nothing to eat later in the month. They've told her that they eat well early in the month and are out of food by mid-month. This situation could be helped by issuing vouchers with staggered redeption dates.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand what's so urgent about using your food stamps that you have to take a 2 year old shopping at midnight.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by VanVivCam View Post
    Jean Daniel, a spokeswoman for the Agriculture Department, "Food stamps were designed to be a supplement to the food budget," she said. They "were never intended to be the entire budget."

I think this helps to say it all!!!! Too many depend on Food Stamps for their entire budget...very sad.

Why didn't you quote the whole paragraph which explains why they bought "unhealthy" food-

"For now, many of the needy, including many in Kladis' store pushing carts laden with soda pop, bags of cookies and chips much of it cheaper than healthier food are doing what they can to stretch their shrinking buying power."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    I agree. I'd like to see food stamps go the way of WIC where people receive vouchers for something specific and healthy. The point of food stamps is to help keep people fed. They do not need to be fed junk food, nor should the government be expected to be sole provider for them and their families.

My sister works at a grocery store and has frequent stories about food stamp customers who spend all their money on steaks and seafood at the beginning of the month and have nothing to eat later in the month. They've told her that they eat well early in the month and are out of food by mid-month. This situation could be helped by issuing vouchers with staggered redeption dates.
    I am in total agreement!! Will never happen but it is the right thing to do!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HandyMom View Post

"For now, many of the needy, including many in Kladis' store pushing carts laden with soda pop, bags of cookies and chips much of it cheaper than healthier food are doing what they can to stretch their shrinking buying power."
    I do not understand. How is pop cheaper than water? How are cookies cheaper than home made muffins? How are chips cheaper than air popped corn? I do not understand this concept.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He is what I see:

1. A bag of name brand Charcoal in the cart. Grilling out is an expensive way to cook especially with name brands.

2. She is shopping at a Convience store instead of a discount store like Aldi or even walmart.

3. She gets $312 a month for an adult and two toddlers. I'm sure she is also getting WIC. Our family of 2 adults, 3 kids, an infant, 2 dogs and 2 cats only spend $600 a month including H&B and cleaning supplies.

4. For now, many of the needy, including many in Kladis' store pushing carts laden with soda pop, bags of cookies and chips much of it cheaper than healthier food Ever here of a 10 lbs bag of potatoes, bulk pasta, rice, cheese, and cheap frozen veggies?

These people are running out of food because of ignorance or laziness. The problem I see is there is not enough control over what they are eating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    My opinion was that you can buy cheaper charcoal than Kingsford.That would save money.Why in the world would anyone shop at at convenience store? Wait until the next morning and go to the market, where you can make healthier choices, plus stretch the budget further.(Even at a convenience store I can find healthier, less costly items than soda, chips, pop.. Just to tide anyone over till morning. No one in the pic looks STARVING to me.)I pick up every penny that is on the ground. I cannot fathom free food, regardless of my income.This is one GOOD America.We are so lucky here.(The WIC program here is changing to generic items only. Good idea. Well fed, less cost.Maybe we will see the food stamp program revamped.)
    You caught all the same one's I did. This article gives people that use food stamps wisely a bad name.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The way I see it, I don't care if they eat cookies and soda day and night. But they shouldn't be running out of food stamps. If they are it's simply because of mismanagement. I could feed myself and two kids on 312 no problem and do it without giving up the soda and cookies plus the healthy stuff. ( I would need a little more to feed Dh)

They simply need to learn how to shop the sales and use coupons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast