Gotta get it out!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gotta get it out!

My brother's family have been hear 4 full days and oh.em.gee!

We had pizza the first night they were here because we were helping them get their stuff off the moving truck, no one wanted to cook. $5 Little Caesar's to the rescue. BUT this was after bro taking us out to Jrecks (sub place) for lunch.

The next night, SIL wanted to go to Ponderosa, so bro took us all out to Ponderosa to eat. At the restaurant my 10yo niece had chicken nuggets and corn on her plate. Then didn't eat it, but was still allowed to get ice cream.

The next day I ask niece what she wants for lunch. "Can we go out to eat?" (in this sweet little girl voice they use when they want something YKWIM?). I said nooo, we have lunch stuff here. She asked for Ramen noodles. I made them...she dumped 90% in the sink then wanted a can of spaghettios!

So later I'm thinking out loud about what to make for dinner and again niece asks "Can we go out to eat?" I said "we just ate out, it's not healthy to eat out all the time." She says "That's what we did in Florida". SIL says "she's right. I don't get home until 5:30 and never remember to take anything out". Are you freaking kidding me? No wonder the only veggie they eat is corn!

Tonight I made sweet & spicy chicken over rice w/ green beans on the side. I was expecting bro's kids to complain, but 33yo SIL? Are you kidding me? She ate ONE green bean. 10yo niece whined thru the entire dinner(after asking if green beans were "the little green ball things" - she meant PEAS!). 13yo nephew ate his green beans, just mixed them up with the rest...not a peep out of him about it. Niece put up such a fuss she didn't finish her dinner and thus gets no dessert. She spent the next HOUR crying in bro's lap. She's TEN!

Phew. I had to get that out. What was funny at dinner tho...my 9yo and 11yo(nephew we have custody of) kept RAVING about how much they LOOOOOVE green beans. They both ate two huge helpings of them lololol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my! I hope things go smooth and easier in the next few days after the adjustment period. You are a wonderful sister, SIL, and aunt to do what you are doing. What trying times....oh my.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 12-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe it would help to put a cheese sauce or buttered cracker crumbs on the vegetables?

When I was a kid my Mom used to make cauliflower in a white sauce, broccoli in a cheese sauce, carrots in a brown sugar and butter sauce. Not all the time, but sometimes.

You shouldn't have to do this, but maybe it will make meal time less annoying/painful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm speechless! WOW

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not easy melding 2 families. Here's hoping you all settle into some compromises that will work for most of you. Not everyone will be happy but oh well that's life and they will just have to deal. (notice I said "they") Maybe some family meetings will help?
    Change isn't easy but it's really real. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Darlene; 12-05-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Venting, is good!

Sorry for your troubles. Buckle down and let them know the house rules. Eating out? Forget it! Sounds like SIL could use some cooking lessons.

I don't understand folks who eat out all the time. You know know how the food was prepared, what's in it, who's hands were clean or dirty.

DH and I usually have home-cooked food each day. I take my breakfast and lunch (leftovers) and then fix dinner.

I have 400 cans of home-canned food to choose from, the original fast food. Eating out is for someone else.

Tonight I whipped up a turkey/rice soup to die for. One quart of turkey in broth, one quart of broth, cup of half &half, cup of my dehydrated mixed veggies, salt & pepper. Wow, simple and tasty.

Sounds like eating out all the time cost the in-laws quite a bit. Cheaper to eat a home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amazing reality for some meets the reality of the rest of us - all as seen throught the eyes of a 10 year old child.

I am so glad that they are having the opportunity to live with you - it's not forever, but what a learning experience - just hope that they get the lessons!!

Keep us in the loop - for your sanity and our enlightenment!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It'll get better. My sister and her kids lived with us for a few months years ago. At first dinnertime was pretty rocky since her boys weren't used to my cooking. I made a few adjustments like dropping dishes they didn't like that we weren't super fond of and taking the skin off the chicken. After a while everyone got used to it and it wasn't so bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Walton's are a fictional family. I personally could not take Grandma into everyone's business, Dad as my boss, the girl's drama, tattle tale Elizabeth, John boy writing all night why I was trying to sleep and so on. I think you are a saint.I would be more like Roseanne.I am thinking we will be hearing more. Put on your frugality shield and prepare for battle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It always amazes me how two people who grow up in the same house can run their own households so differently. Whenever my sister visits with her kids I just have to hold my tongue when they waste food and fill up on junk food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you talked with your brother and SIL had a big long talk about the rules? I mean, I know it's your house and all, but things might go over more easily of you guys just kind of smooth out everything just so that you and the other grown ups are all on the same page. That way your bro and sil don't get their undies knotted up about discipline issues involving their kids and hopefully they won't unintentionally undermine your rules when you're not around. Just a suggestion. You can never have too much communication, right?

Good luck! You really do have the patience of a saint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So sorry this is happening. I think after the adjustment period your SIL will learn alot from you and their children will learn how a true household is run. Hang in there, it will get better. Stop by to vent anytime!
    Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh wow........that is all I can say YM........hang in there.

Feel free to vent here..........and keep us posted.....we will help you try to keep your sanity during this trying time.

Maybe that idea of locking yourself in the bathroom isn't such a bad idea now...........deep breaths.....count to ten!!! (or 20 or 30!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are most definitely a better person than I am.
    About 2 years ago my cousin and her 2 kids came to stay with us for about 1 week.
    Before they came I asked my cousin what they liked to eat. She replied that she would eat anything but her kids only liked 'basic foods'. Now these were her exact words.
    I will now translate for you what basic means.
    Bread/french bread, butter, peanut butter, nutella chocolate paste, herb butter/hamburgers (fast food not good ones made at home), french fries and that is it!!!!!! No veggies/fruit AT ALL!!!

I wrote about this on the forum when they were here.
    Here is the link if you like. My kids still talk about these kids and feel sorry for them.

Ever invited family/people to stay and regretted it almost immediately?

As I said you are a better person than I am.

(((HUGS))))
    Avril

Mom to Laurens (32), Timothy (29), Dimmen (26), Lloyd (25) and Fiori (23).
    Grandma to Charlie, born April 5th 2013 - so he's now 1 year old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My niece and nephew just stayed with us for 3 months. It was horrible. So glad they moved back to Pa. She ate all the food in the house, without supplying more, and he wouldn't eat anything but junk.

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast