My job is too much!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My job is too much!

I just need to vent. I hate my job soooo much! I never imagined I would be treated so horribly when I went to school to become a nurse's aide. Fast forward 5 years. I have worked in 3 facilities, one for a year and one for 3.5 yrs. The other was for a month in between and was too far away and not worth it to drive so far. It is the same everywhere you go. The nurses treat the CNA's like crap. There is both physical abuse (patients hit us) and verbal abuse (nurses, patients, family are nasty) almost every day.

I am so stressed out that I have been sick lately over and over. I used to never get sick. I have had a nasty cold 3 times in a couple of months. I started to get a UTI from not being able to pee for several hours at work. We never get to drink unless it is our lunch break. I almost never get a 15 minute break. They give us so much to do and then complain that we aren't doing it right. We have way too many residents each to take care of. I hurt my back a couple weeks ago and it is now starting to feel a little better. I didn't report it because I cannot afford to take the time off. My back was hurting so bad that I had a hard time going from sitting to standing.

I am hoping to attend free phlebotomy classes soon. I just have to get out of the nursing home field. I am just dying from stress. I really feel like just not going to work at all.
    Last edited by leighcat; 01-23-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: edited to add, not all family members, nurses, or residents are nasty...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of the worst feelings in the world is to hate your job I have been there and it is terrible HUGGGS to you girl make a change happen you wont be sorry
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry, coming from another CNA that also became mentally & phyically ill from my job in the last few years..I know exactly how you feel..I was actually fortunate (I know that probably sound's wrong) that they found (the facility) a way to get rid of me after 16yrs of dedication (facility is only 18yrs old) on Jan 20,2011...it was a set up because I made to much money.. out with the old in with the new =less $$ they have to pay..I could of gotten a lawyer and got my job back..but, I was at the time absolutely crushed that I was booted out and the dishonesty on their part that came along with it.. But,I think it was a blessing in disguise.. little by little they are getting rid of the long timers (I had heard the rumor the year before) my girlfriend told me,she also work's there....I have real bitter taste in my mouth with lazy a$$ power trip Nurse's that I worked with..(I do have a few that I really loved) 90% should have been fired along time ago..but the scum's stick together and get away with their abuse towards the CNA's..as far as the resident's being abusive I could deal with that to a point..if they have Dementia,Alzheimer's and are not medicated for it and you are being abused then that's most likely the Nurses fault for not doing their job to make sure the resident & you are in a safe environment..at least that's what happened at my Facility..actually the Nurses use to smile almost like they like the fact that the CNA's were being abused..If it's the family member's that are mistreating you then just try to remember that they are upset with themselves for not being able to take care of their own,,they are feeling guilty or if it's a time factor there really isn't anything you can do about that..it is what it is and it's everywhere.. GO TO THE BATHROOM..why put yourself through that? Check with the Labor board in regards to what the law is regarding the break' you are entitled to..I would start keeping a log of your break's you get each day..HUGS..I hope everything turn's out for you honey! Remember that you are a person that should be treated with respect! It takes a special type of person to do what we do..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So sorry for your extreme working conditions! My goodness that just sounds awful! I know I couldn't survive one day dealing with that. We recently had a family member who lives with us hospitalized for an extended period of time. I noticed that the aides did most of the really nasty and difficult work. I made a point to be kind to them while they were working in our loved one's room, and the ones that provided him extra special care, I noted their names and gave them special accolades on the review form, providing them a copy of it in case the praise wasn't shared. Please know that your services are very much appreciated. Nurses are often too busy with paperwork and "policies" to extend that extra care to patients and their families. It's the nurse's aides that have a real opportunity to provide that kind word that might make all the difference in someone's day. I'm sorry your work is so difficult, but thank you for the services you provide. I hope you're able to change your career to something less demanding, or, at the very least, maybe you can start looking around at another facility that might treat you better. My sincere best to you.
    Totally debt free since January 2011.
    Fully funded Emergency Fund complete December 12, 2011! Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah, being a CNA is hard and you're right, there are a lot of nurses who are rotten in nursing homes. Please, check into home health care. It's a much slower pace and you can give the patients the quality care they deserve and take care of your body at the same time. Almost all of the nurses I have met in home health care are nice and helpful! You might also want to check into companies like ARC (located throughout the country.) I work for them full-time. They will take your CNA license into account and they offer health insurance benefits, unlike most home health agencies. I get in 40 hours a week in two nights and even get to sleep! Can't get much better than that. Please, get out of the nursing homes, they will just beat you down!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs, btdt! I got my CNA when i was 15 years old and worked in the local nursing home. Its amazing how much stuff goes on in a small local nursing home. Lots of bad things. I was happy when i had an accident and could no longer lift people and i had to stop doing the work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow.

I never was treated that way as a nurse aide, and when I became an RN, I never treated nurse aides that way! I can't imagine it!

I would stop and help na's if they needed it (turning and positioning and cleaning up...er...messes, and we never had that kind of crap going on between us. I'm thinking you work in a shoddily-run NH. There should be meetings about stuff like that.

As far as the residents (patients) hitting you, are they confused or combative? Because you're going to find that everywhere. They are the paying customer, so a little understanding and kindness goes a long way---be sweet as honey to them (almost sickening) and they will warm up quick. Try to be their 'favorite'. Haha. If not, maybe you can suggest soft restraints or medication to calm them.

When I've been in jobs I hated, there's only two things to do......1. Plaster a smile on your face..... be as sickening sweet to everyone---co-workers and residents, as you can be, even if they are horrid.....whistle or hum while you work....ACT as if it's the best job in the world (it will boost your spirits, make everyone around you so shocked and bewildered, that you will be entertained by their facial expressions, and at the very least, the effort will make your shift go faster)......or 2. RUN!!!!!! Find another job.
    ______
    Cheryl

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance, but by our disposition." -------Martha Washington

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow i am so sorry
    i think its more the enviroment you are working in.
    i couldnt work in a LTC facility - i feel like too many of the nurses do just kind of call in it - dont put out more than they need to etc . and those that do care usually burn out quick.

but i will be honest there's going to similar problems in phlebotomy - confused abusive pts - families blaming you for bruising that couldnt be helped etc.

i adore the hhas i work with
    i think because in my area of home care we are all part of a team there is not that feeling if someone leaving the dirty work for someone else that is often felt in the in pt facilities.

i have certain things to do they have certain things to do - technically they report anything to me and i case manage the case -but we usually are there at different times . 90% of the famlies are so appreciative of all the staff that goes out to them .

i think many families of people in LTC facilities have a certain guilt and take that outas anger on the aides - since theres not as much of a skilled need in the LTC areas the aides do more and are in view for the family to get to .

I am proud of the work the aides i work with do - the families tell me such great stories etc.

i would look into home health care also - there are different areas the private duty shifts ; the few hours a day from medicaide offices; the stay an hour to just help them wash and dress that is done 2-3 x a week - short term while someone recouperates from an illness / surgery etc.

i love my job . the aide i know who work in my office seem to love theirs .
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your job is invaluable, you are on the front lines and your service to patients is priceless ♥
    Mama was in a nh for seven years and I made it a point to find one with an excellent review from Medicare and the state. I treated the CNA's with dignity and respect and I know they appreciated it.
    If your working conditions are horrible, you must get out to save yourself. Would you consider Hospice or Visiting Nurse? In the meantime, here's a link to Nursing Home Compare at Medicare, I hope you can find a better situation:

Medicare.gov - Nursing Home Compare

I know it's a site for patients and families to choose a quality nh but maybe the comparisons will help you to transfer to a better quality nh. Hugs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think Cab54 makes some good points. I think it will be easier even if you fake a good mood.

However, you MUST not endanger your health by limiting your trips to the bathroom and not keeping hydrated while you are working. If you have to go, FREAKING GO. If they don't like it, too bad. What are they going to do, fire you? And if they did, you can always get another job.

I would also say I suggest you look at home health care. I've heard it's really nice and laid back and not nearly so grueling.

Good luck. I've been in jobs before that I absolutely hated so I know how you feel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my bestie is a home health aide and she loves it, less stress and very rewarding. I think it is time you find a job where you are appreciated and feel full filled.

married to my honey
    mommy to one handsome teenager
    mommy to 2 furbabies

no consumer debt, zero, zip nada

mortgage - 56,140.96 pay off date 11/2017
    car fund 5,000
    heating unit 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How are you doing hon?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope that you listen to all the good advice and choose what sounds best to you.

We have hired (through a home care local business) - several different caregivers for my DMIL - they have all been wonderful and have brought more than just basic taking care of my DMIL - joy, silliness, respect. We are just thrilled with them.

Please let us know what you decide - no one should hate their job and/or be injured or get ill from it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm an RN, and I think that most CNA jobs are among the toughest jobs there are! I would NEVER want to do that kind of work... even if the work environment is good, the labor is backbreaking!

Maybe you need a change in venue. I work in a neonatal ICU, and our CNAs have a pretty nice job, especially compared to working a nursing home or med-surg floor. They feed and comfort babies, do vitals and blood draws, help with procedures and do a lot of stocking supplies. And when the CNAs complain of the nurses abusing them (and some definetely do!), it's usually in the form of having the CNA feed babies all day long. No back injuries on this unit! I think pediatric units are not as rotten as many adult units either. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by leighcat View Post
    I just need to vent. I hate my job soooo much! I never imagined I would be treated so horribly when I went to school to become a nurse's aide. Fast forward 5 years. I have worked in 3 facilities, one for a year and one for 3.5 yrs. The other was for a month in between and was too far away and not worth it to drive so far. It is the same everywhere you go. The nurses treat the CNA's like crap. There is both physical abuse (patients hit us) and verbal abuse (nurses, patients, family are nasty) almost every day.

I am so stressed out that I have been sick lately over and over. I used to never get sick. I have had a nasty cold 3 times in a couple of months. I started to get a UTI from not being able to pee for several hours at work. We never get to drink unless it is our lunch break. I almost never get a 15 minute break. They give us so much to do and then complain that we aren't doing it right. We have way too many residents each to take care of. I hurt my back a couple weeks ago and it is now starting to feel a little better. I didn't report it because I cannot afford to take the time off. My back was hurting so bad that I had a hard time going from sitting to standing.

I am hoping to attend free phlebotomy classes soon. I just have to get out of the nursing home field. I am just dying from stress. I really feel like just not going to work at all.
    Have you ever thought about going and getting your MHRT or DSP certification, It will look great on your application that you have experience as a CNA. You can apply at any of the agencies and make about $5.00 more an hour (depending on the agency.) The companies will train you and you get paid for the training. I find it way less stressful it's just more paperwork. It's not back breaking either.
    Last edited by Stacia; 02-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast