Bipolar disorder
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bipolar disorder

I dislike it. I have been experiencing symptoms of bipolar mania for a couple months now. I'm normally pretty good about catching myself and getting treatment, but this time I let it go on for far too long.

One of the worst parts of it is my inability to focus. My first warning sign? I can't read. I swear, I will start out reading a sentence and completely lose interest before I reach the end. Forget about books and newspapers, that ain't happenin. I have been having trouble keeping up with the kids' school work. Sometimes I'll feel so jittery that it feels like the inside of my body is shaking.

I have medicine for it. I should probably take it regularly, but since my highs are so much worse than my lows, I don't even bother taking it unless I'm up. Hopefully I'll only need to take it for awhile. I've been taking it for about 4 days and I already feel so much better, like someone hit the reset button.

I <3 modern medicine.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear you're taking care of yourself.

Speaking as the daughter of a woman with bipolar disorder, I wish my mom would have just taken her medication all the time per doctor's orders. She'd come off a major high, stop the medication, then there we'd go again. It was not fun for us as the kids in the situation. jmo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs...I'm glad your starting to feel more like yourself...Please continue taking the medicine so you don't end up in the same situation over & over again..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 20 year old daughter has Bipolar and Good Lord, let me tell you, we all know when she doesn't take her medications correctly. She can be a VERY difficult person to be around. Please, take your medicine everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definitely not going to take it continuously. My bipolar disorder isn't as severe as some other cases. My depression at this point is completely controlled... it's only my once a year manic phases that cause me problems. Even then, I notice it before any of my family does. No one would even know about my swings if I didn't tell them. My husband noticed that I didn't seem to be accomplishing much, but that was pretty much it. There were other symptoms that he noticed... that he didn't mind... but I won't get into that.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How do you know that no one else has noticed anything? They could be just too polite to say something to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aloha Nishu. I have only dealt with extreme bi-polar with two of my students. Their mothers both had milder forms of it. It might help if you kept a daily journal - perhaps a note or two on your personal calendar - to give you more info on your cycles. Take care my friend and keep in touch.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bonnotsm9 View Post
    How do you know that no one else has noticed anything? They could be just too polite to say something to you.
    Because my husband and my children have no problem letting me know when I'm off. Being bipolar doesn't make me completely clueless... I still have fairly good grasp of how my interactions go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey Nishu. How's it going? I've been re-diagnosed bipolar. Once my naturopath found out she put me on vitamin D3 right away - 2000 IUs a day. It's really leveled out my moods. DSIS#1, a medical doctor, claims she has recommended up to 4000 IUs for her patients. Might be something you could use. I found it gave me a lot more energy and I was able to concentrate better. Anyhoo...hope you are doing well. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself. Being self-aware is such a big predictor of success in dealing with this illness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Peanut, thanks for asking. I'm doing well. Right this minute the only problem I'm having is fatigue. I've definitely come down and mellowed out. It's funny reading the above post now that I'm in a completely different mindset. Still doubt anyone out side of my family would have noticed, lol.

I'll have to check out the d3. I've taken it before but not regularly. I'm glad it's working for you! That post was a couple weeks ago. You still feeling pretty good with it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes. I've been on it since January. It was a real turn around for me. I have a very mild form of bipolar/depression/anxiety too. So far when I get manic it seems to show itself by me hyperfocusing on my crafts and excluding the 'bothersome people' in my life. Which would be everyone.

I've been looking at a product called EM Power Plus by True Hope and following it over the years. It seems to have stood the test of time, but it is expensive. And once I go off medication there's no turning back. The last time I went on medication one of the side effects was being suicidal!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello! I have bipolar disorder too and have been receiving some form of treatment and/or meds for it since June 2007.

Sadly, no all people can take the meds. I've never had any bipolar meds work for me or prevent the breakdowns. The 3 years I was on standard meds were the worst of my life. I was in bed most of the time. Most meds could not take more than 9-30 days as I developed the bad (deadly) side effects warned and it had to be switched.

I was in hospital 27 days early this year for a bad spell. The meds sent me to ER with inability to breathe, red rash and welts and hyponitrymia (stripping the sodium out of me). The ER bills were over $10,000 and altogether I have not about $20,000 of medical debt I can't pay.

I take 2 low dose xanax a day from my regular doctor. I've been fine so far just too hot in the Oklahoma summer.

Real care must be taken using these meds. They do work for some people.

Research all you can!

Hugs,
    Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs to all of you. We have family members with it and lost a family member due to it (suicide during depression episode). Its exhausting and heart breaking to have it in the family. They can't seem to get balanced with medications either and I'm pretty sure they aren't taking any at this time. Between blow ups/manic episodes or severe depression episodes it is really trying. I'm concerned a couple of their children have it now, as well. Sigh! Hang in there and seek help as often as you need it.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you are feeling better. Mental illness is hard to deal with I take a crap load of meds just to stay functioning and even that does not always work. Right now along with my mental health I am also dealing with DD 9 other problems and her Dr. believes she may also have a mood disorder. I have a real good friend who is having a real hard time with her bipolar and find a good med combination not fun.
    Hugs