positive thoughts and prayers requested... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW!! So happy to hear of his progress. Must admit that this has been a bit hard to follow since the soninlaw of a friend had a similar fall a few years ago. This little guy is one lucky fellow and I am so glad that prayers are continuing and will do so for him and his family throught the healing process.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so glad that he is making good progress I'm still praying for him.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For everyone still following, praying and sending good wishes... thank you, thank you, thank you.

Short version:
    Desmond is being moved OFF ICU today and onto a regular floor in the pediatric center. He is off the vent, though still raspy. He's coughing up the gunk that clogs the lungs while being immobile for 2 weeks. He still gets to wear the neck brace to help protect him and let the over strained ligaments heal. He is doing amazing. PT is starting and rehab plans are being made.

Long version:
    So he's been really stable. There was some itching last night and they changed his med numbers a little bit, but I'm not sure he wasn't just trying to scratch where the skin is healing rather than hallucinatory itching ... But they changed around his meds to control itching more.

The overnight nurse took off his "no-no cuff". She felt that he was probably less comfortable with his arm wedged into a plastic sheathe than he would be strapped in again. Also, AFAIK they put it on b/c he kept loosening his restraints and pulling on the leads. Last night he'd managed to take off the cuff entirely.

Problem Solving 5 yr old: 2
    Hospital Restraints: 0

He's always been an incredible problem solver. Well, when the problem is in his way at least. So it's great seeing that that hasn't changed!

Nurse also told me that the C-Collar he has on has to be done by a doctor/nurse b/c otherwise it's easy enough to get it where it doesn't help, or even hinders. And apparently during one of the nurse sessions, the trainer showed the technique by putting it on herself and ... immediately declared that it's incredibly uncomfortable, possibly even painful, and no wonder everyone works to take them off all the time ! As the nurse said to me "wow, what a recommendation!" But Neuro was by this morning and reiterated 6-weeks on the collar. But it's from the initial point, So he's past 2 already.

The big news today is ...

They're planning to move him out of ICU today to the main pediatrics floor!!! He's movin' on up!!

I think he's probably been stable enough for a couple days, but apparently a bed has now opened up to move him to.

PT came by yesterday and spent some time working on his legs, and maybe his arms a little. That will continue and probably increase some. I forgot to ask during rounds about his OG feeding and when he might be able to take that out and eat something ... Mostly they still seem concerned over the congestion in his breathing, so probably not right away, but I'm hoping soon.

Rehab hospital nurse liason stopped by this morning too, sounds like he'll move there after a few days in main peds (followed by wait for a bed, before he moves). Not sure how long he'll be there; she gave me some material and said I can look up stuff on their site or ask questions, but I imagine a lot depends on his eventual eval and what he actually needs rehab wise, other than "I've been flat on my back for 3 weeks, I'm a little weak!" I imagine that eval will be done there, since that's where he'll be treated for whatever as well.

Moving on up, and probably in the next week Movin' on out!

I did promise his ICU team that we'd stop by when he's better, so they can see him back on his A game.

Thank you for all the well wishing, prayers, and positive thoughts. We appreciate them, and I'm sure Desmond will appreciate all the cards and letters when he's feeling less grumpy and put-upon by being forced to stay in the bed with all these things on him.

I'll ask again that everyone give their kids a hug for me!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am So happy for his family, he must have a guardian angel staying close by him. So glad to hear he is doing so well. Thanks for the update, will keep him in my thoughts and prayers
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Latest update:

The feeding tube has remained out as long as Desmond can get his caloric needs via milkshakes. He's been up walking and now dancing.

So it has been a fairly quiet day. No PT or OT today. He has mainly been hanging out in bed and watching movies while drinking milkshakes.

We did give him a wash cloth bath earlier and he is now sitting in the chair in real clothes for the first time in three weeks.

It is really weird to think it has been three weeks already. Twenty one days. We were suppose to be in Williamsburg today for my cousin's wedding, congrats ****** and *****, and our week long vacation. Instead we are in the hospital where Dad and Desmond are dancing to Sid the Science Kid DVD, which is a miracle all on its own.

He is doing so well and we are really looking forward to getting out of here and into rehab and then home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted on this. The young guy went to a pediatric rehab facility where he spent 3 weeks and did well.

HE IS HOME NOW!

The family is once again sleeping under one roof... sans the dog (but that's next weeks present).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They must be the happiest family around. Such good news to hear, I hope all goes well in his future!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad he is home!
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is wonderful and amazing news God is good

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234