Ugh

Thread: Ugh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ugh

So DD went to her fathers for the long weekend. It has been a heck of a time with her lately. I have cried myself to sleep plenty this last little while wondering where am I going wrong. She did another medication switch and if there is no difference then she has to try another but because she gets real bad and not sleeping etc they might have to hospitalize her to do the change. I really don't want to hospitalize her again.
    I had taken one parenting course for kids with ADHD which was 9 weeks then another right after for parents of children who have been hospitalized which was 6 weeks. Both taught very different things but the one thing they said was ignore ignore ignore any time she did something wrong except when it came to violence. So I did that and it was the wrong decision all the way around. It did not work at all. What am I supposed to do if the behaviorist are telling me do this do that, you are not doing this. So I do everything they tell me and she gets worse. Not the it will get worse before it gets better deal. I mean full out all hell broke lose. So now I am in the middle of trying to once again figure out where to go for help. The hospital is booked up for a year for a child psychiatrist. The other organization and I don't get along because they told me for years it was my fault DD was the way she was because of my mental health. Only for me to have a psychiatrist from when she was hospitalized tell me it was nothing I had done she was born this way. I just want to scream. Oh and the male voice hallucination now has a name she says he says his name is Rick. I hate Rick!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does she have a diagnosis beyond ADHD? If she is having hallucinations it sounds more serious. Try contacting NAMI, they have support groups in your area and can help guide you to more help. I have a 13 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and I am having a heck of a time. She is on abilify. I'm also an MFT graduate student who is almost done with classes and going to intern as a therapist. I know how hard it is to find help. My heart goes out to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you have been able to get some rest. Just want you to know am rooting for you. You really are doing everything you can FOR your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bless your heart..I think their is something else besides adhd, maybe bipolar or schiphrnia (sp)..

really step back for a moment and try to breath..
    document everything she does. I do not subscribe to the ignore the child approach but try to find something that works. It ain't gonna be easy.

hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you everyone it is still a struggle and we are still waiting for more Dr. appointments.It is so nice to know that I have FV for support and advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just sending you a hug...I worked for years with children with ADHD, bipolar etc in an inpatient setting....I know it is sooooo hard!!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rhiamom. I am bipolar and I know it is hard to put up with me off my meds, and I'm a good patient! Relatively quiet and docile...just get anxious over my delusions, and then behave unpredictably. Does your daughter take any vitamin D3? I'd try some to see if that calmed her a bit. I found my moods leveling out on that better than with medication on its own. Sounds like you have a much more serious problem than ADHD though. How old is your daughter again?

FWIW, ignoring the kid never worked here either...and mine are not ADHD or have mental health issues. If they are saying she is like she is because of your mental health issues, they may be telling you the problem is partly genetic, which it is. If they're insinuating you're a bad parent because of your mental health issues, don't listen. Hoof it to a new psychiatrist. I followed the party line for years with my kids. Had my youngest to a child psychologist. Finally decided enough was enough. We were getting no where with a really smart 5 year old. After that I stuck with doctors, and, when she was 10 gave up on them. Ten years of bucking a system that insists everything is the parent's fault is really tiring.

I went your route too - parenting conference actually. It was interesting (to see the people who went!), but I could have taught all the sessions I went to. I got more help from library books, truth be told. Kevin Leman was good. But I could reason with my kids. That was the biggest thing - sitting down and talking to them made a huge difference. But they didn't have the issues your daughter does.

Best of luck in dealing with your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

doctor's are stupid people.

obviously the ones who say ignore your child and she will learn aren't parents themselves or if they are I pity the child/ren if one of those doc's are their parents.
    hugs to you and your baby girl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just sending hugs............sorry you are going through this.

Agree with bent that Dr's can sometimes seem to be idiots............I would check out some books at your library and start reading about it........that way when they tell you to do 'something' and you have read differently.......you can at least question it............and you won't have to be going by just 'their opinion' on what they have learned.

Good luck.............don't forget to take care of YOURSELF too!!!!!!