Frugal Village Forums banner

3rd update on my cousin who feel from the tree.*Another update*

1K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Darlene 
#1 ·
I want to thank everyone for your good thoughts and prayers for my cousin Marc. I am told that my uncle and aunt are very touched by this. So am I. :heartsm:

I got news from the surgery. According to the neurosurgeon, the surgery was a sucess. Finally what they did, was: They took out 1 vertabrae and repaired it and put it back and then they took out another one and replaced it by a donor--a vertabrae from someone who died. They also took out a rib and replaced a rib to attach to this replaced vertabrae.

What I didn't know yesterday, that I learned today, is that he had a 50 % chance of paralysing during the surgery. :eek: So I think some information I got from my family was not that precise I think. I haven't spoken to my aunt and uncle directly...the updates were given to me by my parents. I wasn't able to speak to them at the hospital...I didn't get a hold of them last night.

I have the impression, that if he had a chance of being paralysed, it probably isn't his last vertabraes...I'm going to send an email this morning directly to Marc's parents to find out the exact information.

Finally, they are operating on his heel, in 10 days, because they want him to gain some force and also because it will be another big surgery.

Finally, I have decided to wait until next week to visit him, because he has alot of friends visiting this week, so I will probably go next week when he will be more alone. It will be a 2 or 3 hour drive for me.

Well, if anything new comes up I will let you know. So far, it is going well, even though his condition is serious.

Thank-you for your support. :heartsm:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm so glad this first surgery went well. I wish him the very best as he recovers.:heartsm:
Big hug to you too Lucie, his loving & caring cousin.:smooch:

#3 ·
:hugz: I'm so glad this first surgery went well for him. Praying the next one is a success also and that he heals quickly. And for you my sweet friend :hug2:. I'm glad you are waiting to go and see him until next week. He will really appreciate it more then since his visitors will have slowed down by then and he hopefully will be in less pain and better able to visit with you.

#5 ·
I got another email this evening from my uncle. Marc is in intensive care and is being cared for closely. My uncle said he has never seen a person with so many thubes attached to his body. He can control also his meds for pain, just by pressing a pump.

It was the L1 they removed and repalced by a donor. L4 was less damaged and they repaired it. They operated on him from the belly button and cutting sideways. I was suprised. I thought he would have been operated from his back, but then I'm no expert about this...

He is always on his back and cannot turn on any side. Imagine sleeping and lying on your back 24 hours a day...

Well, I just wanted to let you know the latest I knew about my cousin. From now on, and after his second operation, he will be doing physical rehabilation for many months. The scariest part is over for him, but alot of hard work is ahead for him.

Thank-you for caring. :hug2:

#11 ·
I am so happy to hear the back surgery was a success! Here's hoping the heel surgery will go the same way. :hug2:

#15 ·
Thank-you :heartsm: Last night he has a hard time breathing all night. It was like breathing from a straw....finally they found out today that he has some liquid in his lungs. They were going to pump it out. He also needed 2 blood transfusions because his hemoglobin was low. He had lost alot of blood during surgery.

He should have his surgery for his heal within the next three days. The dr said it will be a very painful surgery for him--after...

I still can't over the fact he is suffering like this. I know he will get better, but it won't be easy. oh yes, and they said that he is getting a plastic cast from the chin down to the waist. He will have to wear it all the time for 3 months at least and he will only take it off to sleep.

Imagine that...

#16 ·
Lucie I haven't been around much lately and had missed this about your cousin. I'm soooo sorry to hear it but relieved to know that he's going to recover. He certainly has a long road ahead of him but it seems like he will live. :hug2: I am hoping for a speedy and pain free recovery for him. Good thingies going up from Texas.

#18 ·
Continued prayers for your Cousin. God Bless him. I pray he will not have to be in so much pain and will heal quickly.:angel2: :angel2: :angel2:

#19 ·
Thank-you Carolyn. :hugz: Each prayer and good thought counts. My aunt and uncle are exhausted with all this. Going to the hospital is 1 hour 1/2 for them. They live in a small village. She's not used to drive to a big city. My aunt goes everyday...she doesn't want to leave him alone. It's hard for him to be on his back all the time and especially the pain.

As soon as I know when he has his surgery, I will let you all know.
Thank-you. :heartsm:

#20 ·
I got another email last night.

Around 2h30 am, my cousin woke up abruptly and tried to rip off all the tubing on his body. He was in a panic. He was half awake and apparently was had a nightmare. My aunt had slept at the hospital with him, she tried to calm him down, while the nurses had to tie his legs and arms so he would not harm himself...:(

My uncle also said he is still having trouble breathing. He has a tube in his lung to drain the fluid, but he still breaths like if he was breathing from a straw....

He still didn't get his surgery for the ankle. The dr said they will have to break some bones because some have started to fuse together but not the right way.

My aunt and uncle are feeling so overwhelmed by this. They said that when Marc CAN come out of the hospital, they will be taking him in, because he will be needing extra care, as he will have difficulty walking and moving around with his big plastic body cast.

I was really sad last night when I got this email. I can't believe what is happening to him.

I have decided to go spend 2 days with them this week. They really need some support. I'm not sure which day I am going but it will be probably weds. to thusday...

Well, I just wanted to let you all know on how my cousin was doing. Thanks for listening.

#21 ·
Aw Lucie, I'm so sorry he is having nightmares about it all. :( I think spending time with his parents is a very nice idea, hope you have a great time. :hugz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.