RAOK Swap
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: RAOK Swap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default RAOK Swap

I have been thinking about this one for a while, and I think I finally have the mechanics down in my head.

Here is how it works. This is NOT a monthly swap, at least not in the sense that you will be required to send anything regularly to your swap partner.

Each month, two to four names will be chosen (by me) at random. Half will be the givers, and the other half will be the receivers. The giver's job will be to send some small gift of ANYTHING to the receiver. The receiver will NOT be notified that they were chosen and will not be required to send anything back, so you won't know your name was chosen until you get something in the mail. The next month, two or more other names will be chosen. Eventually, everyone on the list will have a chance to participate. The smaller the list of participants, the sooner you'll get your chance.

Givers, you can choose to send your gift anonymously, for a truly RANDOM act, or you can let them know it came from you, so they know you are thinking of them. Receivers, it would be nice if you would let me know when you receive your gift, so I will know the swap is working! Even better, it would be nice if you would let the swap participants know, so they can live vicariously through your excitement.

The gift should not be extravagant. This IS a frugal site, after all! But it can be anything - a small bag of dried fruit, canned goods, needlework items, small painted paperweight, whatever you want, and preferably handmade, although store-bought is fine if you just don't have the time or skill to do anything handcrafted. It can also be raw material, if you know that your partner loves to knit, embroider, paint, etc. Feel free to use your imagination.

Okay, rules laid. All you have to do, if you want to participate, is the following:

- PM me your name and mailing address.
    - Let me know if you want to be a giver, a receiver, or both.

If I get enough participants, we'll start the swap in September!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea from a great mind!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.
    Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Four people signed up so far!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I love the idea Madhen! I'm definitely in.
    Just an idea here but can we label the care packages with some kind of symbol or 'Frugal Village Swap'? I'd be apprehensive getting a package with a stranger's name(or no name) on it.
    We should probably also give you our phone numbers...~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think I'd need your phone number. I'll be following up with PM's to make sure people can still participate and are prepared to send RAOK packages when asked.

I don't see any problem with having those sending packages mark them as from "FV" or something similar if they don't want to list their specific name/username.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the idea of this and swaps in general. Please include me.

Dawn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, now we have seven participants!! Hope to get a few more by the beginning of September. I'll send out a PM to one or two of you on the first of the month, letting you know who your RAOK recipient is, and you have the month to decide what to send and to get it in the mail!

BTW, I don't want to exclude non-US FV'ers, so if you are not in the US, but want to participate, please let me know. I'll be sure to check to make sure "givers" don't mind the extra postage. Also, if you are not in the U.S, let me know if you mind the extra postage if your recipient is not in your country. (That sounds a lot more confusing than it should!)
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont mind extra postage. I just like the swaps!

Thanks,

Dawn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Up to nine people now!! I'd love to have an even dozen by the beginning of the month, but we'll see.

A number of people have signed up for only one option (giver or receiver) and not both, so don't be shy if you aren't in a position to send anything right now, but would love to get a little something in the mail!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i'm in for receive this month and then switch to give next month. back and forth, i say.

kindness is unlimited

fling: 0000/2012

2012 Goal: get out of debt
    debt: about 10,000 | owed: about 10,200

homesteading skill-a-month challenge: january/february/march - hydroponics ; april - solar heater

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, TSOO. It doesn't really work that way, because you won't be asked to do anything EVERY month. I will be choosing only a couple of names off the list each month, and the more people on the list, the less often your name will come up. I'll put you down for both giving/receiving, and it should work out in the long run.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're up to eleven people now!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea!!! I'm in madhen for both. I think you already have my address...let me know if you misplaced it.
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've sent me enough care packages, DC, that I finally got smart and saved your address on my computer (the one thing I NEVER misplace)!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Woo hoo!! We now have FIFTEEN people signed up! More than enough to start the swap!

There is no deadline for signing up, so feel free, if you haven't done so already, to PM me your mailing address, and please let me know know if you want to give, receive, or both.

First givers/receivers will be notified on 9/1/2009 via PM!!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast