Is anyone here a real sweepstakes junkie?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is anyone here a real sweepstakes junkie?

I was once upon a time. This was pre internet 25+ years ago. My dh and i won some fabulous stuff between 1986 & 1991. But I lost interest when the internet took over.

If you're winning I'd love to hear . I know it's possible!

g.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go through phases. The only sweeps I do consistently are the Allure first 500 at noon ones. I am up to 14 wins this year from them, and am excited to see how I did last month (when they do 4 or 5 sweeps per day, every day).

The biggest thing I've ever won was a $100 GC, which I never received (followed up, apparently missed whatever official notification I had to respond to, fell outside the claim period, etc.). I did win an iPod shuffle in July that I'm supposed to get sometime next month.

Out of curiousity, since you were pre-internet, was it all "mail a postcard" kind of stuff? Did you have to pay lots in postage? That's kind of why I got into it - because online it's really easy to enter, and free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no Im not but I believe that's only because I have never won anything I have heard of people who practically make a living out of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

there is a new show out similar to the extreme couponing show about extreme sweep-ers

if i have the time i enter a few never won much
    some now want you to make them a video etc and i dont have time for that
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just watched that Extreme Sweepers show. It was 'odd'. The one Canadian person they featured stated that she had to pay taxes on anything she won so if you've entered to win something big (ie car) she had to be prepared to pay the taxes on it. She began 'sweeping' when she lost her job 10 years ago.

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to do the instant win contests online, some of those bigger sweeps can be a pain in the rump to do. Today I won a free Twix, free pack of Starburst, a $10 Scholastic gift certificate, and a free carton of Florida Natural orange juice.

In the past I've won some random things like 2 pairs of 7-Up boxers, a collector tin full of M & M's, and my favorite, a free year supply of Suave Professionals products.

I wish they would bring back the type of contests they had back in the 50's where you actually had to have some writing talent to win.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I recall a movie about contesters in the 50's - 60's. Housewives that wrote a lot of winning jingles. That would have been fun too. It was an interesting movie. But the sponsors gave it up probably due to the effort it took to judge & choose a winner.

Yes paying taxes on prizes is a necessary evil. But winning a car is nearly as good as winning cash because they can be sold. We won 3 cars in 5 years and sold every one with less than 150 miles on them. That way we only paid tax on what we sold them for, not sticker price.

We were phenomenally lucky in the first 8 months when we started sweepstaking that kept us interested for a long time. But we worked hard at it too. We eventually burnt out when our lucky streak ended. It was just as well, the Internet was taking off and it's not the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To telep... Yes we spent a lot on stamps but we looked at it as "hobby" money. We also could find sweeps with in store entry. If those were local or regional chains, even better because we had better odds.
    I do like that on line entries are free. But old mail ins quite often said "enter as often as you wish" because postage was a hindrance. On line oftn have a limit of one per person.
    When it was mail in only a very few ever bothered, it was too much trouble to address an envelope!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to be really into it. I entered everythign I could and won small stuff on and off for years. But with the way the economy is right now i am revisting my sweepstakes and freebie pasts and entering more haven't won anything yet but I can say it sure does give you a feeling of "hope" just to enter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I just watched that Extreme Sweepers show. It was 'odd'. The one Canadian person they featured stated that she had to pay taxes on anything she won so if you've entered to win something big (ie car) she had to be prepared to pay the taxes on it. She began 'sweeping' when she lost her job 10 years ago.
    That doesn't make sense, there is no tax on contest or lottery winnings in Canada.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enter a lot of 'blog' sweeps, usually for items for etsy. I might enter 20-40 a month, I usually win something every few months. Last year my biggest win was a new Marc Jacobs purse and a pair of earrings. I just won this art and tree chatter of aquariann: Giveaway: Moon Agate Necklace by Rainwater Studios which has got to be my fave in the last few years!

I am a total jewelry junkie but rarely will spend money for it, outside of yardsale finds, so winning a $68 handcrafted necklace made my day!

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $140,160.33 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$3168.76

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a huge sweepstakes junkie. From 2007-2009, I entered a ton of online sweepstakes. I won 2 50-inch HDTV's, an iPod, a Zune (kind of like an Ipod but made by Microsoft), a year supply of Kellogg cereal and cookies, a $500 gift card to American Apparel, a year supply of dog food, tickets to many concerts and all kinds of other cool stuff. From 2010 until now, I didn't win as much and I lost interest. I'm in the process of moving right now and haven't entered any sweepstakes in months. After I move, I plan to start entering sweepstakes full time - at least 8 hours a day. I may be crazy but I'm unemployed with nothing better to do. I'm going to post a list of my wins on my new blog at winningwithsweepstakes[dot]com. I am going to start the blog on July 1 and it will have tips and tricks to winning more sweepstakes because there is a strategy to winning these things. It's a fun hobby and I love having prizes show up in the mail unannounced. For example, last week UPS dropped off a bottle of expensive perfume from Victoria's Secret. I haven't entered any sweepstakes since December so it was a huge surprise when UPS pulled up. It really can be addicting. I can't wait to get started again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm new here and love sweeps. I'm just playing two of them now, sweeps from Coke Rewards and BHG.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, since I'm unemployed and have more free time I've started sweeping again. Of course, this is the big Allure Free Stuff month!

I did get my iPod I won - and last year I did get my biggest win ever - not a car or TV or anything, but I won a free steak dinner every month at Longhorns (value is approx $250). And yes, we've gone every month as a date night, especially since one of us eats for free!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The name of the book and movie about contesting was "The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio" .. then something like how I fed 10 people on 25 words or less. It was actually written by the daughter of the woman in question, and is a true story.

I go through months without winning much of anything, but the last couple of years have been pretty good to me. $225 in Barnes and Noble gift certificates, a Shine device- hope it comes in time for son-in-laws birthday Saturday, a $220 digital camera $10 Hannaford's gcs, $15 Visa,numerous coupons for things like free body wash and soap, pantry items... all that was from this year. Last year was better for cash and equivelents- $100 +32" HDTV from a radio station, $225 from one
    contest- love the write-ins! Also have won nearly enough movie passes to satisfy the urge to take my grandson to movies regularly.