my first thanksgiving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default my first thanksgiving

Of all the rituals from foreign countries, I like thanksgiving the best. It makes sense to me. This year I'm having my first thanksgiving - we will have it tomorrow, Thursday November 11, (is it traditionally on a Thursday?) while DS1 is staying with us. All of my immediate family will be here, I have also invited my step-son and dil, I wish my sister and friends could be here too but I thought I'd best start low key.

This year I have a lot to be thankful for. This year I discovered simplicity, frugal living, myself, new friends in far off places, new abilities and talents and the joy of living.

Tomorrow night we'll be eating late - 9pm, as my sons don't finish work until then. DH and I will enjoy an entree and wine with my step-son and dil until the boys arrive. Then we'll have organic, free range chicken, prawn chili salad, potato bake, green salad and taboulli. Dessert will be a coffee liquor and walnut cake and cream. We have some ice wine to share and I am going to make a speech about why I'm having the dinner and why I am thankful to each person there. If I could, I'd invite everyone here too, you are all part of my extended family now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a fabulous Idea!! And I am honoured that you picked an American Holiday as one worth emulating!! (I think its Canadian too - but I don't know the History on that ) Yes our Thanksgiving is always the Last THursday of November. I will be excited to hear how it goes and what your family thinks. We started doing a little pass the hat with little promptor questions and ideas that everyone takes turns discussing - fror us it slows down the old eat and dash thing which is pretty much what Thanksgiving has turned into for most families - cook for two weeks , everyone stuffs them selves silly and then splits. So often you here people say their favorite part is the leftovers - it has sadly dissolved into nothing but a food holiday - I even hear kids say that!!! I LOVE what you are doing - the true meaning!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh!!! You'll have to tell us all about it! I wish you many many years of a wonderful new family tradition.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How wonderful! I can't wait to hear all the details and what your family thinks about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm smiling here.
    You and yours enjoy being together and may your heart & soul be warmed over and over again. You my friend will be beaming. Enjoy.

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you all have a wonderful meal and evening!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that is so awesome.....Have a wonderful time!!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka JuliaBob Julia Kimber's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a lovely idea Bethany, have a wonderful evening!

Julia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great idea!

Happy Thanksgiving!

We Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Sunday in October. I can't remember why it is different from the American Thanksgiving (it's probably on the web somewhere) but that doesn't matter the intention is the same.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you and your family have a wonderful evening Bethany!
    ~~ Dee ~~
    8 Years Cancer FREE!
    25 July 2003

Married to my sweetie, Jack 25 yrs.

Mama to 27 furbaby 'Katz' (as my hubby calls them LOL)
    Nicky, Snowy, Olga, Ralphie, Sidney, Oliver, Fonz, Audra, Hoss, Peanut, Madeline, Tigger, Alice, Poppy,Teddy Bear, Mittens, Conan, Sherman, Trapper, Radar, Maxie, Annie, Rocky, Kali (AKA P.I.T.A), Jethro, Chewy Lewy, and Chance!

Don't forget to do self examinations monthly and have regular mammograms!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a wonderful "family holiday" to me Bethany. We always enjoy our family on that day. Excuse me while I go off to starve in preparation for ours'

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bethany, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had our thanksgiving dinner last night and it was wonderful. My step son and dil arrived around 7pm and we had some sushi and wine to tide us over until the boys arrived. My dil is totally amazed that I'm into craft now and she looked at some of the stuff I'm working on. DH and his son sat on the verandah and watched the rain fall while they talked.

When the boys came home from work I served up the menu I wrote about in my first post and everyone thought it was weird to be eating so late, it was around 9.30pm when we started. After the main course I stood up, toasted everyone there and told them why I wanted to have a thanksgiving dinner. I told everyone why they had enriched my life in this year of tremendous change. I got some wonderful compliments about how they all feel loved and appreciated and DS1, who moved into an apartment 12 months ago, said that our home is warm and alive and he never knew that until he left.

We spent a long time talking about various things in our family's past, both my sons told me (for the fiirst time) that they missed their grandmother and DS2 told me that his boss, Sue, is always asking about our family and that she's intruiged by me and the weird things I do! (LOL) Overall it was a great night and somthing we will definately do again next year, and hopefully every year.

My DH topped it all though when we were getting ready for bed when he said: "I really liked what you did tonight. How come you always surprise me?" I told him I liked to keep him on his toes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have chills just reading your post - I am so happy that everyone enjoyed it - I think it is a lovely , non-commercialized tradition for you to have year after year. And Your family all came without balking and the "do we have to's" for that you should be extremely proud because that is YOUR doing!!

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bethany

Your dinner sounds lovely and the memories you and your family made are precious! Be blessed my dear friend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast