Anyone Switching Careers in Mid-Stream?
    Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone Switching Careers in Mid-Stream?

Okay, so I have worked in social services for basically my whole career, always done some art (writing and performing) on the side as a hobby...I'm turning 45 this month and it has suddenly occurred to me that maybe this could be a part-time career...I am doing improv on a regular basis and writing sketches, but I think I might actually try to get representation, and do some auditions (would pretty much take anything at this point just to get resume credits, but could work toward something more)...it is something that I have always really enjoyed and it trascends the whole "retire at 65' thing which frankly scares the hell out of me (don't do well with time to dwell on my own thoughts!)...also could look into doing my own gigs with the stuff I write...

Not quiting my day job, if I get anything I will do it in my time or take vacation days to do it...

Scared but probably gonna go for it...
    Janet
    BEF: $$120/$1000
    Change Jar- $36.20

My New Computer Fund - I DO NOT NEED A NEW COMPUTER UNTIL I HAVE A FULLY FUNDED BEF!!

Debt Snowball - ON TARGET!!

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say go for it!!! As time passes, I see more importance in doing what is meaningful and gives you pleasure. Good luck!
    Sandy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go for it! I am 42 and I left my job of 15 years because I was not happy. I am still on the search of what I want to be when I grow up. Life is to short of being unhappy in a job. I know that you are not going to leave your job but why not expand in yourself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been going back to school part time to get my degree in ASL interpreting. . . for now, I'm going to combine it with my nursing career -- but at some point I hope to be able to do enough intrepreting, to be able to quit my RN job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    I've been going back to school part time to get my degree in ASL interpreting. . . for now, I'm going to combine it with my nursing career -- but at some point I hope to be able to do enough intrepreting, to be able to quit my RN job.
    That's so cool, Denise. I've always wanted to be an ASL interpreter.
    *~*Michelle*~*

"You can't have your best health without exercise. It's just not possible" ~ Leslie Sansone, WATP

Follow us on Twitter!

Become a Fan of Frugal Village on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was a teenager I wanted to be an artist. But that was unacceptable to my family, so I after college I ended up in social service work as well. I loved it, but it is possible to care too much and it was starting to harm my health. So in my 40's I was blessed to be able to come around full circle and become an artist. I also do some writing -- one book published so far. DH provides the steady income that basically supports us. For me, having that to fall back on has taken away the "do or die" pressure to make a lot of money quickly.

Anyway I say go for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was always doing secretarial/accounts receivable/payable work and i was ok but now-a-days it seems employers want degrees. I was self-taught. When I lost my job this last time and DH diagnosed with MS I had the opportunity to go back to school and I went for it. Going for an associates degree in Culinary Arts this year. I should finish in May. I love it!

Your never too old to change your goals.

Debbie