Using Heat at Night
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Using Heat at Night

I've been trying not to turn on the heat but it's been getting too cold at night. I'm tired of waking up freezing with a sore neck and throat.

I've been turning the heat on at night and then turning it off in the morning. Something is telling me that I am probably wasting $ but I just want to make sure.

I thought about getting a space heater but my husband said it would make our electric bill too high. But I can't sleep when it's cold.

Is it costly to use the heat only at night?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What temp do you set it for at night/day? I usually set mine at 58 degrees at night.

You might want to think about getting a programmable thermostat so you can have the heat turned on 15 minutes or so before you get up so you are not so cold.

I do not like to use spacers heaters while I am sleeping or not able to tend to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

During the day it's completely off.

At night I like it to be 65-70. Is that too high?

Oh yes, I wasn't thinking about the fire risks when I wanted a space heater but hubby pointed that out as well. He said that same thing about an electric blanket but I'm not sure about that one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a small space heater that I keep by my bed. Keep the bedroom door shut and it only comes on if the temp falls below a certain level. I have never had my electric bill go up more than $3. I also use it in the bathroom before I shower.
    PS - We frequently get into the 20's at night.
    Last edited by StaceyS; 10-23-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Stacey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default We are going to try setting ours at 60 at night...

and 65 during the day (I have to keep it on during the day as my 76 yo mother lives with me). Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you are running the heat at night and not at all during the day then I wouldn't think you were wasting money. You're essentially doing the same thing that I am just the opposite.

I keep my heat between 66 and 68 during the day, and then it shuts off at night (actually it is set at 45 at night, but normally it doesn't even kick on, becuase it doesn't get that cold). Do what you have to to stay comfortable. If extra blankets won't do the trick (cuz you'll still wake up with a cold nose), then find a comfortable level for the heat.

If you normally have it at 68, try turning it down to 66 and see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, turn it down to 64 and see if that bothers you, etc. I'll bet you'll find that you can turn it down a bit further than you have it now, and you won't notice much difference, and you'll still be able to sleep comfortably!

And I agree that programable thermostats are the bomb-diggity. I love the fact that I don't have to remember to mess with mine and turn it down at night, it's all automatic!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WE live in a rental or I would get a programable thermostat. I love to sleep in the cold(under a million blankets) but I cant make myself get out of bed. So I end up laying in bed until the last second. Then I run around like crazy trying to not be late.
    Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    If you normally have it at 68, try turning it down to 66 and see if it bothers you. If it doesn't, turn it down to 64 and see if that bothers you, etc. I'll bet you'll find that you can turn it down a bit further than you have it now, and you won't notice much difference, and you'll still be able to sleep comfortably!
    Good advice.

See what your tolerance level is set the temp to that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my!! After reading this thread, I realize that dh and I are serious wimps! We keep the heat on 68. If I can sneak it by him, I'm going to turn it down to 66. He works outside so you'd think that he'd be used to cooler temps but he acts like a 90 year old man- he likes it toasty hot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far I haven't used my heat yet. The house (even thought it's been in the 40's outside) hasn't gotten lower then 60 degrees. Trying to see how long I can hold off turning it on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have mine set to 60 at night. I have a programable thermo, those things are GREAT! I also have a heated mattress pad (shuts off automatically after 10 hours so no risk there) an extra quilt on the bed my flannel PJs and 1 small dog and 1 small cat (who knows where the other 2 kitties are at night) who are great foot warmers lol! So we are quite toasty indeed at night!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Get an electric blanket. They are expensive but well worth it. Spread over the ten or fifteen years you will use it the costs become very minimal. It will keep YOU warm, not all the airspace in your house.

The newer blankets can be very safe if you follow the directions for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a heated mattress pad, that way I can stand the bedroom at 58. THough it does make it hard to get up in the morning.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We set the heat at 60 at night. It almost never comes on. In the dead of winter, it gets down to 61 or so by morning. 60 a night doesn't bother us, we both like to sleep a little cooler with lots of blankets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wear a turtleneck to bed. Really. They are cheap to buy & in all colors to go with pj bottoms if you wear them to bed or just wear them when getting out of bed like me. We always keep our heat low in the day and down in the 50's or off at night.
    I just hope for no strangers to see me,lol, wearing my turtleneck and no bottoms, lmao. :laughing:
    Edited to add, sorry for tmi. mwahahaha
    Oh edited again to add that we have a fan going all year round because we like the noise & air movement. If you wear that turtleneck, sleep with someone you love, you will keep plenty warm.
    I tell you guys too much about me, lol.
    Last edited by Darlene; 10-28-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast