Frugal Village Forums banner

For those using propane......how many gallons do you use in a year?

45K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nvmommyx6 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1 story house w/ a mostly finished basement and we typically use about 750 gallons a year in propane. I'm thinking that's a bunch, huh? Yes, we do like to keep the heat around 75 - 80 but I thought we were doing pretty good w/ the rest of our utility bills until I got to thinking about this one.

So how many do you use? Hopefully our useage is not too far off from the norm around here, but I have a feeling that's not true........

*editing to add that we use propane for hot water, heat, and stove

#2 ·
I only use propane for my gas stove. I go thru 80 lbs a year. We use so little that the gas company would try to hit us with a fee for not using alot. We canceled our account with that company and now use 2- 40lb tanks and we take them to the local RV campground to get filled. I think it was $36 this last time. So, thats less than $75 a year. I suppose it would be a huge amount like yours if we used it for heating and the hotwater heater.

#3 ·
We have 1248 sq ft house, and 2 adults here.
Our normal usage for the past 18 yrs, was 500 gallons of propane a year for our heat and our cook stove. Our last price paid a year ago, was $ 2.45 a gallon under a contract. Heat was kept at 68-70 in the winter months. I just made the decision we were not going to be held hostage by the propane company no longer. Our current propane usage is going to be about 20 gallons for the cook stove for the year.

Last summer/fall we put in a outside wood furnace which now heats our domestic hot water, and is our main heat source. Our water was heated by electric in the past so we now save about $ 30 a month because of the wood. This first heating season was a refresher course in buying wood. Our plan of action for next heating season is already in place and paid for. We bought a load of logs for $ 575 and hubby did the cutting in blocks and then split the wood using a ax maul. Plan is to buy a splitter when we get enough money saved up.
Our heat is now kept at about 75 degrees. And we have all the hot water we can use and then some. We are very happy with our major decision to burn wood again.

#4 ·
I used to work for a propane company and it seems 750 is probably a really good number depending on how cold it gets there, how many people live there, how many square feet and if you use for water too. I remember that the average for heating and water was more than 1000 gallons a year for most homes (but we are also in upstate NY). You would save more if you turned the thermostat down - put on a sweater or snuggle up in a blanket (better yet, snuggle up with your significant other :)

#5 ·
We use approximately 750 gallons per year. 4 adults, heat at 64 even at -40 degrees. 1258 square feet. Includes cookstove, heat.

#6 ·
Thanks for responses! I'm happy to know then that we're not overdoing it in that department. I was worried that we were using too much but it looks like we're doing ok then. We live in the midwest and there's 5 people in the family. We have been using our propane fireplace this fall and winter instead of the central heat, so I want to compare how much, if any, the useage was from last year.

#7 ·
Thats one heck of a difference, I just read Y'all's amounts and here our stove, furnace and hot water heater are propane. We have 7 people in the house and use approximately 250 gallons per year. Of course, We do not use the furnace, 15 months ago we installed a wood burning stove and MAN what a difference!!
Now I am feeling even more frugal than ever before!
clap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.