Propane or Natural Gas?
    Registered User Holding Pattern's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Propane or Natural Gas?

I'm gonna toss this one out...

we're currently on propane. We can prebuy very cheap and out entire year's heating/water heater will be about $900. Natural gas just became available in our area and many people are switching.
    The natural gas co could not give me a good estimate on my bill based on current usage including taxes, surcharges, etc...so we're holding off and see what neighbors/guinea pigs find out.

What experience have you all with one or the other or switching... what are your conclusions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not much help........I suggest doing some serious research. How much will it cost to change over? How much, per year, has it gone up in your area? What was the percentage of increase? THESE could all be answered by the people there........if they want to.

I have nat. gas for heating and hot water. The $ would depend on too many factors to compare...sq. ft., temp, how many showering, etc.

I just know that it goes up every year and as more people get it the $ will get even worse. Used to be cheap......not so much now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always thought that propane was more expensive. I don't know with prices rising on everything. I think you are going to have to get that information from someone who lives near you because of temperature in your area and even square footage of house and how well insulated the house is will be something you will need to have to compare. I have natural gas; I live in Southeast Michigan and I have a budget of $105 a month. And we do have pretty cold winters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have propane. The big difference here is I don't pay all of the utility taxes on propane. All I pay is the actual charge. I would check and see it it works that way where you live. Plus, I lock in my price at the lowest cost of the year since I only use one tank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Natural gas was always cheaper for me a few years back but i have all electric now and live where it is reasonable but just out of town on other providers it is very expensice. piney