Frugal Village Forums banner

Water company wants to raise rates again

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Momma_Bailey 
#1 ·
I should have never bought this house. After my post in June, there was this article in our local paper about this very utility company again. :furious:New Aqua Utilities rate hike could lower fees in Pasco - St. Petersburg Times
What the article is saying is that MY water company hike will help the other utilities in the area to charge less. WTF???
I called my mortgage broker who is completely disgusted. She lives a few miles from me and pays about half for her water and sewer bill. She has the other company mentioned in the article. She knows some people in congress or whatever so she is going to try to find out what we can do. I did call the utility companies before I moved here and apparently they lied about their rates. Had I known how high this was I would never have bought this place.

#7 ·
Honestly, the way they bill it is hard to tell. Even if I send out payment the day I get the bill, they don't wait to receive it before they send out the next one! My 4 bills have been- $85.71, $60.75, $85.71,$94.09. I haven't even been here 4 months. Two bills due in June, 2 due in July. They told me my usage isn't the problem but that they charge a high base rate. I am contacting the senator, the epa, the public service commision, and anyone else I can think of. I am going to get petitions around and send them wherever it takes. I told the 2 customer service people off, really cussed them out because of the bs they told me. :ack:

#4 ·
That sucks leighcat! Keep us posted on what you find out --or what the lady finds out.

At least your water co. tells you!!

Mine went up and I never rec'd any notice about it! I HATE water districts!! The 'minimum bill' went up by $4. I was going to sit down and figure how much $ per cu ft. but have to wait for this months bill.

#5 ·
I really do not know if my water bill is high. I have never compared it to anyone's. Mine runs between $48-$52 dollars a month. Is that high? I do know that I hate the electric company though it's bill seems to get higher and higher.

#6 ·
Jeanna, It's hard to do an apples to apples comparision of water bills because every utility bills so differently and include so many things.

For instance, my bill varies between 3000-5000 gallons per month and includes that water charge, the sewer charge on the water we use, our monthly garbage charge and the new storm water fee ($1.50 billed monthly) That averages around 45ish for us.

Leighcat, a similiar thing is happening here with one of the rural water utilities. They way overextended themselves and built service lines and tie-ins for a customer base that never came. Now they are trying to raise rates by 65% and making a ridiculous minimum bill. Sorry to hear you are going through this.

#8 ·
How on earth could it even be legal to raise one person's rates to lower another in a different area?! I hope you catch a break somewhere soon. :( In the meanwhile, make sure there is nothing leaking or no toilets "running". We are dealing with this right now and have a huge increase in our usage, so let me tell ya how important it is! Also, our utility company offered to do a "inspection" and double check the water meter. Even if you dont need any repairs, it might be worth checking into! It sounds like you're already on the right path! :)

#9 ·
Before I cussed the second guy out, I asked if maybe there could be a leak somewhere. I know my one toilet runs a little, and I planned on replacing it. He said my usage is really low compared to most and that it is the base rates they charge. My actual usage is in the 20 dollar range each month. The neighbors are all getting tired of it too. Even if I had a well put in it wouldn't save me anything.

#10 ·
Our city has a minimum bill of $32.xx so even if you use only $25.xx you would get charged the $32.xx. They also charge us $1.71 each month for Street Lights and mind you we dont even have one on our street! lol I would get the toilet fixed immediately. It was a matter of about 5,00-7,000 gallons for us!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.