Frugal Village Forums banner

Trying to figure out how much to budget...

Tags
budget figure
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  McD 
#1 ·
We are moving back Stateside this summer. Probably to Ft. Campbell which is on the Tn./ Ky. border. I'm curious about the cost of utilities since it has been almost 4 years since we have been in the States.

We are looking at some places that are about 1200 square feet. Would anyone be willing to share what they pay for power, gas water, trash, etc.?

Thanks!

#2 ·
These figures are hard to budget since so many variables effect the billings.

For instance, our gas/electric is on budget billing and we pay $164 a month. That's with a very new furnace/ac. But we have a very old house that's not very energy efficient.

Our water, sewer, trash, storm water, are all billed together. Trash is a flat $10 a month, non-taxed. Storm water is a falt $1.50 a month, non-taxed. Sewer is based on consumption--we are billed $2.90 per thousand with a $2.90 basic sanitary fee. Our water is billed at $3.77 per thousand gallon (going up to $4.08 per thousand) and we are charged a $3.50 service availability fee per meter. Our bill usually runs beween 39-41$.

Sorry that's not more helpful to you.

#3 ·
We have a even-pay plan for electric that works out to $110 a month. We paid the same 2 years ago before we got new windows... our use went way down but the price went up. Sigh.

Water is about $45 every 2 months, for two people. Cable TV basic plan is $65. Gas for Feb (Heat only) was over $100, but come summer it will be pretty low. We don't have a separate trash bill here. Land line phone, basic plan, is about $30.

Reactions: Lindsey
#4 ·
We are looking at some places that are about 1200 square feet. Would anyone be willing to share what they pay for power, gas water, trash, etc.?

Thanks!
My house is 1800sf (2 stories) and is on the city electric which includes trash, sewer and water. Our electric bill is usually around $200ish, sometimes more sometimes less.

Can you call your electric company and find out what the average use is? See if there is a budget plan? If you are looking to buy a house, it is usually requested of the sellers to make a list of the last 6 months utility bills so that might be helpful.

#5 ·
It would help if you told us where you live. Every state is different. Some of the people on here's bills are really high compared to mine so you need to get the right rates. Sorry I didn't read your full post. I live in MI and my rates will be higher because of our much colder winters. It would be hard to compare. You need to compare to people who live nearer what your climate will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.