Eden Pure heater not that hot?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Eden Pure heater not that hot?

Ok, I know I'm a complete skeptical. We run propane for heat. Last year it about broke us. This year I said something had to change. So, we have a wood stove upstairs so I bought a ton of wood to heat our house. The problem is our downstairs now is freezing because the wood stove is upstairs and we don't run our furnace at all.

Now, my mom has been telling me for the longest time, go buy the Eden Pure. It'll save you money. My uncle has natural gas at his house and he said using this heater cost like $5 a month and cut his natural gas in half. My father-in-law has two of them and he said he didn't notice his electric bill go up and he runs them non-stop. Now I'm not stupid. Electric is the absolute highest heating option there is. Propane is really really expensive. But electric is even more expensive. Natural Gas and cord wood is by far the cheapest heating source. So I don't know how he's saving money by replacing one of the cheapest sources of heat with a gadget that uses one of the most expensive sources of heat. I also know my uncle and my father-in-law make a ton more money than I do, so maybe they didn't notice an extra $100 or so a month their electric went up...

But then everyone keeps telling me I'm wrong. These Eden Pure run on magic or something and I'm wrong. They heat a whole floor and cost like $5 a month. I've found contradicting statements on the internet. Consumers Reports said it was a terrible system.

But the only way I can find out for myself is to try it. I bought mine at Menards. It has a 3 month return policy, so if my bills skyrocket in 3 months, I'll know everyone's full of a crock and I'll return it with no money lost other than a few high electric bills.

But the one thing I wasn't expecting about the Eden Pure is it doesn't seem to blow out that hot of air.

Right now I have it on full blast all the way hot fan all the way high and you can feel a slightly warm breeze out of it. The basement is tollerable, but it's not hot. I'd expect the basement to be the temp it is now if I had it on medium... not all the way high. All the way high, my basement should be 80 degrees. It's probably barely 70... more like 65. Our house is only around 1200 sq per floor. The heater says it heats 1000 sq. feet. We have the heater in our main area and I closed the doors to the one extra play room and our furnace room. With the two rooms shut off (which is probably 2/3rds of the floor), that leaves about 500-700 sq we're heating. Granted our stairwell is open and I can't close that off... and I know heat rises... I put the heater on the opposite side of the room as the stairs so it would have to travel the room to go up the stairs. I was really skeptical if the heater would be cheap, but I really didn't have doubts that it would not throw out a ton of heat. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Friends of ours have one. I do not know what the cost of running it is. But, I can tell you that I agree that it does not feel all that warm. I think it is a gimmick too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You would honestly be better off with something like a Bionaire oscillating heater. We put it downstairs last night in our family room before yoga and oh baby, it heated it up really well.

DH got mine at Costco, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Edenpure will raise your bill at least a hundred dollars .I have one I know.It's only good for one room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just look at the plate that says how many watts it uses. Probably 1500. I did this on another Eden Pure thread here.

1500w x 24 hours = 36,000w = 36 KWH x your electric rate.

I believe they say it will heat "up to" 1,000 sf. It probably will if you lived in southern Florida.

As it is, it will put out as much heat as a $50 1500w heater.

BTW, when I figure electric rate, I add supply. delivery, taxes, and fees...the total bill and divide the total bill by the KWHs used. Some people forget to add the extras...you ARE paying them.
    BEF fully funded
    Debt Reduction
    heloc - $3,299 - 0 yes, yes, yes!
    mortgage - $62,382
    van payoff = <$9,500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i had a pt who had one once- they kept their gas heat down very low and used it in the one room they stayed in during the day a small combo living room dining room . and dont forget when you use gas you use electric - fan etc to blow the heat and the bigger the house the more it has to blow to get it where it needs to go ,

its not going to radiate intense heat like a wood burning stove

everytime i went there and he had it on high though my sinus headaches started as it was drying .

but if your option is to gas heat a 2 story home all day vs turning the gas heat down/0ff and using that in just one room - i imagine it would save money in the long run.

we got a 200$ electric fireplace from lowes for our family room
    we blocked 90% of the heat vent that blows into the family room .( which is an addition that had wallboard electric heat which we turned off/ took the breaker out for after our first bill ) before we extended the vent to family room - but it never came in very warm because of how far it had to travel and i assume it used more electric to blow it in there .

we use the electric fireplace a few hours in the evening .
    compared to the extra gas ( and electric ) needed to blow hot air into that room 24 hrs a day . and its pretty too lol

we also have a wood burning stove in family room that we use on weekends snow days more than anything - since we are not home all day every day the getting it started for just a few hours isnt worth it to me at this point - mess wise and stress wise . when i was home during the day and worked from home in my family room i used it more.

now i just turn the heat down to 60 when i go to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'm returning it today. All yesterday it ran and maybe warmed up the room 5 degrees. Not worth having it run 24x7 for 5 degrees. I'm going to look at other ones.

Super duper Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lparker View Post
    Just look at the plate that says how many watts it uses. Probably 1500. I did this on another Eden Pure thread here.

1500w x 24 hours = 36,000w = 36 KWH x your electric rate.

I believe they say it will heat "up to" 1,000 sf. It probably will if you lived in southern Florida.

As it is, it will put out as much heat as a $50 1500w heater.
    BTW, when I figure electric rate, I add supply. delivery, taxes, and fees...the total bill and divide the total bill by the KWHs used. Some people forget to add the extras...you ARE paying them.
    I totally agree with Lee on this.

“There is no dignity
    quite so impressive,
    and no independence
    quite so important,
    as living within your means.”
    ― Calvin Coolidge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Am always tempted to purchase an electric heater until I figure out how much it will cost to run it. Then I tell myself it is to much. Glad it is the end of January and just one more month of really cold weather here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Am always tempted to purchase an electric heater until I figure out how much it will cost to run it. Then I tell myself it is to much. Glad it is the end of January and just one more month of really cold weather here.
    But I keep on thinking what happens if my water pipes freeze downstairs? How much will that cost to fix plus all the flooding when they burst. That's my conundrum. We heat with wood upstairs. I think when I get the fire going at night before we go to bed, it may stay going for about 3 hours... but if we had a really cold night and the fire went out then the upstairs dropped to 50 or lower, then our downstairs might be close to freezing range. All though the room that has the water lines in it is still very cold... I'm wondering if some heat is floating in there though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Do you have any idea how much it costs to run an electric heater? I guess I bought this one because it was $60. I figured I'll watch my electric bill and see how much it jumps... if it does, then I'm out $60 + one high electric bill.

I was thinking about getting a pellet stove because pellet heat is way less expensive than electric heat... but there's that initial investment of $1500 + pellets... so how many months of high electric will it take before I break even at the $2,000 or so it will cost me to put a pellet stove and buy a ton of pellets? Also, when the pellet stove salesman came to our house to give us a quote, he told us the only place we could put the stove would be where our couch is, which means our living room would be all messed up and look ackward.

We have a propane furnace... I know propane is technically cheaper than electric (even though the $500 fillups once a month don't feel like it.) I was thinking about putting another thermostat downstairs and then closing all the vents except the one downstairs and I'm sure that will make that room toasty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep they are a gimick...which I paid 399.99 for...learned my lesson for sure!
    On Baby Step # 6 $34,890
    Mortgage pay off March 2015
    Stay active goals...6 hours per week
    Grocery budget for April- $625...75.69/549.31
    April NO Spend days 7/24

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't close all the vents except one...that'll burn out your fan motor for sure. You could put a propane space heater down there...be sure to have a CO detector near it. How long have you lived there without heat?
    BEF fully funded
    Debt Reduction
    heloc - $3,299 - 0 yes, yes, yes!
    mortgage - $62,382
    van payoff = <$9,500