Using power during the day is 2 times more expensive than using it at night?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Using power during the day is 2 times more expensive than using it at night?

yesterday when the hydro crew were here fixing our power line my guy asked them if there were any grants available, they weren't sure but said if we want to save money to use most of our hydro at night. Apparently the cost is twice as much to use power during the day opposed to using it at night.

I am thinking that I will start doing my laundry during the night, baking etc...anyone else do this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check with your electric company to be sure they have the program....years ago (17) I read in a book about this so I would get up at 4 A.M. and do the laundry. I started dating my now husband and I was telling him I did this...he told me that it didn't work that way and I insisted it did....so I called my electric compnay and asked......the rep at the electric compnay told me "Oh honey, we do not have that so you can sleep in now cuz it doesn't matter what time you use your power".....I'm positive I heard laughter in her voice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I probably read the same book! I called the electric company and was told the same thing bookwormpeg was told. So I guess it all depends where you live and who you get your power from.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use off-peak power to run our heat pump. We get a very low rate because we've agreed to let our power company shut it down in fifteen-minute cycles during times of high power demand, such as during a heat wave. We don't know if they've ever actually done it or not, because we've never gotten too hot or too cold, so if they're cycling it, we have no way to know.

Our heat pump is set up on its own meter so they and we know how much of our power consumption is charged at the lower rate. The power company installed the meter at their cost.

I think you can do the same with water heaters.

It's to your advantage to use power during non-peak times vs. peak times, even if you don't directly save money. If people stagger energy use, it helps the power companies not have to purchase more expensive power from other companies, and helps them keep from having to build new power plants, both of which can drive up costs to consumers.

Call your power company and ask if they have any programs you could sign up for using off-peak rates.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our company doesnt have peak and off peak rates. We do have separate winter and summer rates though.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our rates do not change based on the time of day so there is no advantage to running things at night, though we typically run the dishwasher at night because we aren't in the kitchen then.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some places have peak and off-peak rates. We recently got smart meters in our area. I BELIEVE in the future we could have different rates. IF SO, you better believe I will do laundry at night, set the timer on the dishwasher so it will run late at night, etc.

All you have to do is look at the details of your bill. If that doesn't work, call your provider.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here we do not have difference in rates based on time.

Where my Hubby grew up they did.

If your place does have different rates based on time, you do not have to get up or go to bead early to benefit from those rates as many washing machines and dishwashers and even some stoves have time delay starts so y0ou can set them to auto start at off peaktimes.

I don't think I would be able to time delay the oven. that would freak me out so sort of like leaving the oven on with no one home sort of thing. Although I did time delay the bread maker
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have peak time rates here but I know my niece does in AZ. I am glad we don't but if it goes to that I will use the power when it is not peak hours. I think it will be a PITA though!
    Wife
    Mother to 3 grown children
    Grandmother to 7 beautiful grandkids

DEBT FREE!
    (except for mortgage)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our electric company doesn't have night and day rates, I checked.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have different rates either....
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have to use the power only at certain times. It's available for us 24/7. The reason they offer the off-peak rates is as an incentive for customers like us to allow the power company to power down our heat pump at certain times, but only for fifteen minutes at a time. So if there is a heavy demand in hot weather for example, they might cycle off our AC (heat pump). We don't even notice, because our house isn't going to warm up in fifteen minutes. We also heat with the heat pump if the temps are above about 25 F, but I don't know if they cycle our power then or not. As I said, we've never noticed, can't tell the difference since any forced air system cycles off and on anyway, never gotten too hot or too cold, don't have to watch a clock or anything. The power company takes care of it and I'm sure it's all done by some sort of computer program. It's a sweet deal for us because it saves us a bundle over heating with propane. We've had our heat pump about five years and it's already paid for itself and then some vs. the same heating periods using propane.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peak hours here are until 9:00pm. So that is when I run the dishwasher. Which only is used once a week. Use a laundry room for clothes and power strip for tv and cable box, plus computer. They get turned off when not in use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For us it is only if you get a second meter that is hooked up to our air conditioner and they can shut it off for 15 minutes at a time. We do have a monthly fee for 6 months to have the priviledge of using it. We don't always use our air and once they can raise that fee whenever they want; I don't want any part of it. We already are paying customer fees on our other utility bills that we have no control over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have smart meters here with 3 different rates throughout the day. We have two seasons: winter or summer. Also there's a weekend rate which is constant throughout the year. Essentially its more cost effective to use hydro between 7pm-7am. (it used to be 9pm - 7am)

I'm not sure if/when they've cycled our power down/off as needed but to be honest - we don't notice. AND if that spares us from suffering through a brown out or (rolling) black outs, I'm all for it. I do know that since they've intro'd the 3 rates a few years back, I have tried to do everything in the evening (laundry/dishwasher etc) and it did make a significant drop in our bill. It opened my eyes to how much we take electricity for granted. Even dad was shocked at how much we started saving. But we know that our lifestyles is mostly home based which equals TV/computer usage during the day but even then, I'm always trying to find ways to minimize our use of hydro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast