Just got a fill-up, YIKES!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Just got a fill-up, YIKES!!!!!!

well, we filled that oil tank up today, its a 550 tank, it took 427 gallons at 2.59.9 a gallon, you can believe I'm going to make it last. Here in NY the weather has been so nice and warm, we haven't even had a killing frost yet. My goal is to hold out till Nov. 15th before I put the heat on, hope we can do it. The longer the better. I put my thermostat on 64 when I finally do put the heat on, and never touch it till I turn it off in the spring. I may have to drop it a degree or two this year, these prices are out of sight!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd have to freeze if I had to pay that much for heat! 64 is freezing to me. If it gets below 70, I have to put my heat on. Your blood thins out down here. LOL But even when I was in SC, I didn't like the cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got a propane fill a few weeks back...it hurts. We keep the heat at 64 too, 58 at night. I just don't like to "pay the man" as my dh says. Hopefully it will last a whole year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Geez! I know how you feel! The prices of oil are going through the roof!

Last year we prepaid and lost money for the first time. This year we only prepaid 350 gallons at 2.37 and now that looks like a bargin.

I am working from home now and have my nephew living with us so I am sure I will go though a lot more oil this year.

I would try and try to lower the temp in the house but for me i am comfortable at 68-70.

Lets hope we have a mild winter and that prices drop down for heating!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't use oil here, so I'm curious..do you have to pay that all at once or do they bill you over time? That definetely would put a cramp in my day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont know how people can afford that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OUCH I feel for you! Man, can't believe it! When I moved her 17 years ago fuel oil was .79 a gallon!!! We used fuel oil at the old place and it was a barn to heat, I'd NEVER be able to afford it now!!

Yep, it's going to be a cold one here too, we ARE getting new windows, but I keep it a 60 and we wear sweat shirts!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ouch!! I am really glad we have natural gas. National Grid actually lowered our budget plan from $301 to $279 recently.

We usually hold out until Nov 1 to turn on the furnace, but as warm as it's been and they say it will continue throughout the month, I'm thinking we may be able to hold out until Dec 1!!

We keep our thermostat set at 59* only bumping it up to 62* on the coldest of mornings. In the evenings we fire up the woodstove. I'd run the woodstove all day, except no one's home most days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know I was thinking about it, actually it was only .59 when we moved here, it was .79 for the diesel for my truck, same stuff but with the road tax on it.

Yep, fuel oil is highway robbery these days!

Don't forget, that's also what the farmers have to pay for fuel for their tractors!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! We have natural gas here...I cannot imagine paying that much for heating...whew!!!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    Ouch!! I am really glad we have natural gas. National Grid actually lowered our budget plan from $301 to $279 recently.

We usually hold out until Nov 1 to turn on the furnace, but as warm as it's been and they say it will continue throughout the month, I'm thinking we may be able to hold out until Dec 1!!

We keep our thermostat set at 59* only bumping it up to 62* on the coldest of mornings. In the evenings we fire up the woodstove. I'd run the woodstove all day, except no one's home most days.
    IS THAT BUDGET FOR ONE MONTH??? WOW, AND I CRY OVER $100 BUDGET--I AM AT 65 DAY OR NIGHT...........OUCH!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back in the day, they would make an oil drop and you would get a bill in a few days, not anymore, its C.O.D., I think if your on a budget plan you pay every month, but I don't want someone else telling when I need oil, and I don't want that extra bill every month, so I save all summer, but I didn't expect it to be almost 12 hundred dollars. Oh, BTW, propane here for cooking is now 4.95 a gallon or pound, how ever its weighted, I remember when I used to pay 14 dollars for the whole tank, which lasted me almost a year, just for cooking. OY! am I old.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

omg 4.95 for propane? That is highway robbery!

I remember 11 years ago oil cost me around 89 cents a gallon. Now the prices are out of control. Local prices here for delivery can range from 2.50 - 2.70 a gallon I just checked few websites.

My dh told me to order some firewood for our fireplace this year. Maybe we can use the for the month of november. Its been extremely warm here the past couple of days, I actually have my a/c on in PA.

It doesnt feel like fall yet. But Im sure it will soon enough!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes oil companies here expect payment within 10 days of fill up They want it PAID IN FULL. Unless you go on a budget plan then you pay the same amount every month and hope you dont go over at the end of the heating season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 550 Gallons

That is amazing. Once again my ignornace shows. Ok, i mean i lived in pittsburgh for a short period and i knew my girlfriend always complained about her home oil prices. I lived in a apartment so didnt hae to worry about it. Now i understand why it was always a topic of discussion. DO you worry that bad people would try to steal oil. I mean people used to try to siphon a few gallons of gas out your car at night. Big cities say kids steal the cars now adays cause they cant afford the gas to drive around. so borrow a car for a few hours and drop it off when you done. WIll 550 gallons get your thru a winter or two winters. I live alone in a 3 bedroom trailer 2 bath. I feel bad to admit that in high summer or high winter my electric (no gas) will run 180 dollars. WAIT i had a reason. I adopted a little mutt dog and i would leave the door open for him to go out all day and just suffer the hit on the electric. But he is gone now so bills went down 40 dollars a month. I havent attacked the utility site yet to learn how to cut corners there but will get to it soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast