Would you buy a new freezer?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Would you buy a new freezer?

Our current deep freeze is in good shape and works just fine but it's nearly 20 years old. I was wondering what the difference in operating cost is between old freezers and the new, more energy efficient ones. Is it worth it in utility savings to shell out the money for a new one? We need a very large deep freeze and keep it inside.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I personally would go with a newer one thats used. The newer models are more energy efficient and cheaper to run. But I would try and find it thru something like craigslist.com which I just love! or thru your paper classifieds first. You'll still get a newer more efficient model but won't be paying brand new in store sticker shock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default old vs new

I wonder if you can call your local electric company and get like a free energy consultation. (or a word that kinda sounds like that maybe spelled different) that would tell you the cost of running your old freezer vs the cost of running a new freezer. I would hesitate to replace something that is working correctly unless the price would be really noticeable. but i guess for some people is more about being green then reasonable and i do understand and think highly of them, i am just not ready to make those kind of commitments ie. i could sell my car and just ride or walk everywhere, but i wouldnt enjoy it plus i love my new car. is first car i ever owned that wasnt plain jane, roll up the windows yourself, had more than a am radio. I GOT IT ALL, this time but 34 mpg from old 17 mpg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would get a new one.I think the older ones,especially over 20 yrs uses more electricity than the new ones today.

I to have one thats older.Its the chest type and belonged to Steves mother.Its over 20 yrs..prob over 25.I was afraid it would die on me so a few yrs ago we bought a new one...an upright...but I still have the older one to,
    and use it for some things.We have 4 kids and I stockpile a lot,especially during sales and NEED both freezers.Plus when we garden I freeze a lot.It doesnt look all that great but so far its still running....prob using to much electricity.I LOVE my upright.I got the biggest one Lowes had for less than $500...its says its a commerical size and by Fridgidare (sp)sorry cant think lol.
    If you want cubic feet or anything lmk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just made the decision to replace our small 20 some yr old upright freezer w/a brand new one, just a bit bigger.
    I'm buying it 0% for 12 mo. With a good down pymnt I have small monthly pymnts & it will be paid off months before the 12 mo date.
    What helped me make the decision was the tags hanging in the new freezers that give the cost of energy for running that appliance. It is very low. The other freezer was not efficient. It was unplugged for a few months & there was a big difference in the electric bill. Another plus, the new freezer has a light inside!