Frugal Village Forums banner

Gas and 2000 mile trip!

Tags
2000 gas mile trip
922 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
Eh gad! I think I might gag. Our gas hit $3.29:beat:
We have been planning a 2000 mile trip next month for almost a year. We are really thinking of taking the kia rio instead of the taurus as there is a 12 mile per gallon differnce. The only bad thing about the kia is no cruise(stick shift) and my tall kids end up with their knees against the seat. Dh is 6 ft 4 so he needs his seat way back. The tallest kid sits behind shorty me but it's really cramped. Hum,..............Decisions!!!!!!

#5 ·
WOW that's gonna be fitting in tight quarters, I think for the comfort of the family to take the Taurus. Less cranky, stuffed kid and DH and the Cruise control is awesome for long trips. :)

#7 ·
Yep I think your right. Taurus is an 2001 with almost 100,000 miles. However we have never had a problem with it as DH keeps pointing out. The kia is still under warranty. The taurus should be ok as long as I have the mechanic give it a good look over.

#8 ·
You know, I did some calculating a while back when it looked like dh might have to take a trip to Alabama (1300 miles from here) and with the gas prices what they were ($3.05/gallon) a one way trip with our van would have been about $150 for gas. Waaay cheaper than a plane ticket (or six, since we can all six fit in our van).

Calculate it, you may be surprised at the total.

#9 ·
Oh definately with 6 that is way better!:clap:

I could have kicked myself. I had a chance at a tad under $400 on 4 tickets(tax included) about 6 weeks ago. I wanted to buy them and Dh said no way. We won't spend close to that in gas. I should have boughten them. It also would have given us extra time to be at our destination.

I figured 2000 miles at 20 miles per gallon paying 3.50 per gallon to be $350 dollars. Considering I'm sure we will have at least 1 meal a day out and have a hotel once on the way and once back I'm still kicking myself for not buying them. Dh is kicking himself also.:gum:

Dh says if it really hits $4 a gallon we are not going. He best be kidding as it looks likely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.