best beaches for toddlers?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default best beaches for toddlers?

We'd like to take our DD for the beach for the first time this summer. We're looking for a toddler friendly beach along the Atlantic coast or Gulf of Mexico, as we're from KY. I'd like to go somewhere that also has stuff for the family to do (aquariums, zoos, etc.) Any ideas?

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are interested in NJ:
    Point Pleasant NJ is super family friendly and has lots for the littlest ones.
    Seaside is much more for bigger kids and singles.
    Wildwood has a great boardwalk etc, but stay in the next town, Wildwood crest for quieter and nicer beach accomodations.

Personally I love Virginia Bch, we are taking the princess, who turned 1 last month, for her second trip there in 2 weeks.

Nags Head in outerbanks is nice, but more hang out on the beach casual than the other places.

Miami Bch not baby friendly, but ok for the 10 and up set.

Cape Cod, avoid with baby during high season (too much traffic etc, but baby friendly off season)

Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On Fall break last year we took a week long trip to the New England states - and loved it. I'll keep in mind the New Jersey beach, but don't think we'll drive that far this summer. I think I might look into Virginia beach though.
    Have fun on your trip. If you happen to remember , post what you did with your little princess while you were there

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my son was a toddler we tried several times to take him to the NC beaches, couldn't get him to walk on the sand to look for shells. The sound of the waves crashing terrified him. From 2003-2006 we lived in Tampa, FL. He had no issues with the beaches there, much quieter and much smaller waves. We are back in NC now and he doesn't mind the sound of the waves, but at age 11 he is not comfortable playing in the ocean water. With that being said you know your daughter best, if you thing big waves would scare her I would look at beaches in the gulf. Being as young as she is, for your own sanity you might prefer her to play in the smaller waves in the gulf.
    Challenges

EF $3975.00

debt:
    medical bill $890/$6000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are planning on somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is a nice family friendly area.

If you have ever seen the Animal Planet Show The Little Zoo That Could, that zoo is located in Gulf Shores. We loved it. It is a smaller zoo, but very interactive. We have a mega-huge zoo in our city that we go to often, but the zoo in Gulf Shores is, by far, much more enjoyable.

There are also a few other family friendly attractions, water park, shopping outlets, good fishing spots, miniature golf, a wonderful hole-in-the-wall- seafood place, etc.... It is not over crowded with teens and drunk college kids (like Panama City Beach is).

Ft. Walton/Destin area is nice as well. There are a few more attractions, but also more teens/college kids. However, there are not as many as in PCB.
    Last edited by Neeley; 04-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are many, many absoultely gorgeous beaches on the Great Lakes, particularly Lake Michigan. Looks like the Carribean in some spots.

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 04-10-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Lake Michigan picture looks great, what is the temperatures in the summer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by della92 View Post
    The Lake Michigan picture looks great, what is the temperatures in the summer?

I don't know where this picture was taken, but I live in Mid-Michigan. I'd gauge the temps as follows:

June - 70's
    July & Aug. - mid-80s+

I'm going to NC in a few weeks - near Wilmington. There's an aquarium nearby and a children's museum. My kiddos are 4. I can let you know how it goes!
    2014 Coupon Challenge - $40199
    2014 Grocery Challenge - $100 week
    January $376.74/$400
    February $359.92/$400
    March $370.95/$400
    April $594.72/$500 (Added paper, cleaning & HBA to $100/week budget)
    May $360.15/$400
    June $347.69/$300

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I came to ask about South Carolina/Myrtle Beach and seen your post.

I'm from Alabama [Central] and Orange Beach or anywhere along the Gulf is very nice.
    I personally love the Orange Beach area.

If you love good southern cooking stop in Foley and eat at www.throwedrolls.com [Lamberts Cafe] Go early or you'll be waiting for HOURS..no joke!

If you head to NC/SC...Myrtle Beach looks awesome.LOTS and LOTS I seen online to do there.When I was making reservations..you could check hotels etc by North,Central and South Myrtle Beach.I found South to be cheaper.But its like 13 or so miles from North MB..I thinking most of the action is in North MB.Not sure..I got a better rate,better hotel in South MB.I think the place we're staying is called Landmark resort?!

I used this site. http://www.mbchamber.com/ click on 'where to stay' and you can search North,Central and South.It also has a 'what to do' link.

I also checked Orange Beach and its cheaper for us to go to Myrtle Beach the week of July 4th than it was to Orange Beach. [2 adults,3 kids]

NC isnt to far from North MB..forgot the beach but I heard it was nice and just below South MB is Garden City I think...It looked nice to.

I planned our trip yesterday..took half the day lol..I dont have to stay in no 5 star hotel or anything but I wont stay in no roach motel either.I did a lot of searching to find the best place and price for us.For some reason I had a hard time finding non smoking rooms [its a must] or either some sites just didnt list them.Anyway...Im happy with what I found.[we wanted non smoking,oceanfront and kitchenette so we didnt eat out a whole lot].hope Im happy when I get there lol ,but it looks really nice. I only went over budget [for a week] by like $50.

Our oldest decided not to go [shes 18] so I had a little more to play with money wise for the hotel because she wouldve cost me an adult price and some places we wouldve had to get TWO rooms...

Anyways..Good Luck!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the suggestions, and the awesome picture of the Michigan beachfront. Never would I have even considered going there, but I'm putting it on my "places to visit" list.
    With the way gas prices are crazy high and with DH being soooo busy with his business (this is a good thing - not complaining one bit!) I'm not sure if we're going to go this summer We could probably fit in a short trip, but I don't know if I want to spend all the gas money just to stay a couple of days. Maybe I'll just stay at home and enjoy my hoping-it-will-be-built-soon deck.
    Thanks again for all the ideas!