how much did valentine's day end up costing you ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got DH about $30 worth of stuff (all practical) and he did the same for me. I didn't want the kids having a bunch of candy so we got them lattes (our holiday "snack")

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$0.00. Same for DH.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dinner out Friday was about $30. We spent today at home together. Valentine's is not a big day for us, we celebrate our love all year long.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lets see huge tree came down at the new house wrecking part of the fence . Our chainsaw died last month so dh valentines present a new chainsaw 300.00 i said Happy valentines day lol 5.00 for 2 bags of valentine m&m gave them to my 2 single sons in reused gift bags and tissue from last year. for me a new pocketbook tj max 22.00 reduced 5x and a bag of herseheys special dark kisses 2.00 on sale. no cards But the most romantic was the burger king lunch which dh and I ate in the truck because I refused to get out with paint all thru my hair after a day of applying Killz to every surface in the house Now thats romantic lol
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~We don't do Valentine's Day either so no money was spent on it. But I did spend $20 on cookies and desserts to take over to my family's impromptu family reunion.~

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are usually low key on Valentines day. We have learned over the last 21 years that the hype did NOT live up to reality.

Here are a few examples at our failed attempt at having a romantic day.

Early on in our marriage we went to a nice seafood restaraunt and had to wait (no kidding) two hours. In that time dh and I got into an arguement and left just before it was our turn. Dh drove home, quite a distance, in silence. He didn't even go thru the drive-thru at McDonalds! Strike one.

Next, one year my friend and I decided to plan a romantic night out with our hubbys. We each booked a room at a nice hotel in Cocoa Beach and planned that we would all four go out to a nice dinner and go dancing. Well when I told my cheap dh what we had planned his words were "What the he ll for!" You can imagine that did not go over well at all. He says in his defense that I have to work that night. I had no idea. Anyway I kept the room and brought my dd who at the time was about 9 and my friends daughter to watch mine while my friend, her dh and me went out for the night. How romantic. Strike two.

A few years pass and then on Valentines day(night) me and my two children pull up in the driveway and see something floating around by the front door. It was dark so it looked a little spooky. Any way, we are walking slowy towards the door and I must have squeezed my purse with my cell phone in it. It dialed my dad and all of a sudden I hear coming from my purse Jean! Jean! The kids and I took off running down the driveway! After realizing it was my dad on the cell we got brave again and with phone in hand talking to my dad got to door. I was soooooooo excited it was a big boquet of flowers and balloons!!!!!! I thought dh was making up for all those terrible Valentines days. I carried the flowers and balloons into the house, still talking to my dad, and the kids at my feet. I was like dad this is sooo nice. THEN I read the card. They were delivered to the WRONG house. They were not for me. Needless to say I deflated like one of those balloons. Strike three.

The kids and I did deliver the flowers and balloons to the right people.

So you can see that over the years we don't do anything much.

Oh, yeah one year dh got me a card with a gorilla on it. WT!!!!

This year he did get me some roses, totally surprised me. I bought some ribeye steaks for the grill.

I did make some cupcakes with sparklie pink hearts on them. And got my dd a I-tunes card. My son is about to get engaged so he has his own sweetheart. I see them doing all the "things" you are supposed to do, Dinner, gifts, ect and chuckle to myself and hope they can keep it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$5 for a clearance DVD for grandson.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$0
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    Goal: Donate at least one third of all belongings before the end of the year. I have wwwaaayyy to much stuff!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From my side .... $192

I could've gotten away with the $12 dinner out of our normal budget but as hubby generally gets "needed stuff" as gifts I don't regret the spend.

I wrote him a letter letting him know I don't tell him how much I love and appreciate him and that I know I don't tell him enough. At the end I told him that I would pay back the household fund from my money for the Jets ticket from a couple of weeks ago when they played the Colts. He had REALLY wanted to go and never does stuff like that so when he offered to pay for it a few dollars a week out of his small allowance we agreed and he got the ticket. ( and my head went cha-ching finally a gift he REALLY wants)

I got a bouquet of carnations on Friday so I had all weekend to enjoy them. They're my favorite and though hubby knows I like roses as well, even though he's got a very frugal deal (I think he pays $4 or $5 for a HUGE bunch of them that always last at least 2+ weeks) he works with a small florist here, he knows I'd be agitated over paying more for the roses because it was V day and wouldn't enjoy them. Then yesterday he gave me a card and some chocolate. (not the commercialized over priced stuff just a small bag of my favorite)

I will say though that the best part of the day was dropping the kids off at an overnight b-day party at 4 yesterday (no school today) and spending the evening together with the Penn Station subs we picked up on the way home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

$200. to renew his shooting club-again so romantic but another $5. for a $1. store heart box w/ 20 clearance candy bars @.39 a piece and a .50 dollar store card.
    My kids got me expensive candy and DH a cook book. So I know I was the frugalist,as usual.
    I gave the kids $45. between them but we don't pay allowance and of course 2 -.50 cards.
    $300. do I win??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

About 25.00 for both girls and my nephew. I made a nice roast and mashed potatoes for dinner and we had cookies for dessert. Dh and I dont exchange cards or gifts on Valentines day . His birthday is in Jan. and mine is March so we ignore Valentines except to get the kids a little something. My oldest got a Heart Necklace she fell in love with at Christmas time and didnt get and a new notebook for her winter church retreat this weekend. Youngest got some New tennis shoes she has been begging for and a cool pencil sharpener and my nephew got a little superman tshirt that matches his daddys exactly. I bought it all on sale and a little at a time so it was pretty cheap considering all they got.
    Kim

Wife to dh Jeff for 23 years

Mom to dd 18 dd 15

3 very spoiled cats

1 dog

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$50 and a 10-minute fight followed by a long, reasonable communicating conversation. The same as every year

My point-of-view: We have both our birthdays plus Christmas in December and January, and I usually put a pretty good effort into making those special. February is my busiest time at work and I'm usually swamped. V-Day just isn't usually on my radar and I don't put any long-term thought or planning into gifts. I also abhor valueless "holiday" gifts and insist on getting her something that is both meaningful and at least somewhat practical.

Her POV: Pretty much everything I just typed is insensitive and wrong.

We get it worked out every year, but the next year we have the same fight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I spent $1.43 for a valentine w/postage for my grandparents. They love mail so the family only focused on them sending them valentines. I am single right now so i stayed home at what i wanted and read my book. The only house work I did were dishes after dinner.
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A dollar or two, whatever the cost of DH's card was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

About $13.00. DH bought me a card and a pop. He made up some massage coupons for me. We went to dinner and used a gift cert we had and only paid $5.00 out of pocket for that. We really don't do a whole lot for V-day, we show our affection for each other year round in other ways than on one or two specific days of the year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast