Vacation Time

Thread: Vacation Time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Vacation Time

For those of us that work outside of the home, do you schedule your vacation time (assuming you get vacation days) for when your kids are out of school for the summer, or do you take the family on vacation during the school year?

As a teacher, I'm off when the kids are off, however, we have a lot of parents who plan vacations during the school year when it is cheaper and less crowded at vacation spots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the one time we did during the school year - it was be over a long weekend etc so only 1-2 days school was missed but since ours hit high school age we havent really taken them out of school for vacation - the high school really frowns on it .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the most part I use my vacation time for sick child days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been at my job for 21 years so I have ALOT of vacation time.

Big trips I plan for out of school. My son is only 5 so there hasn't been an occasion (yet) where I have pulled him out of school to do something.

I do use a few days for him ie, if he's sick, mommy and me day, holiday party, etc. But I also have enough time where I can take a few scattered days off and use them just for "me". Right now I'm planning a day in the fall as a "me" day to spend the day with a friend while my son is in school.
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have quite a bit of "paid time off hours" saved. My vacation is August 1st through the 8th, but this year i am staying in town, going to a concert, out to the country for a couple days etc... I am looking forward to it ! 8 days of no work

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

don't have kids but i do teach high school.

at my school the kids miss 10 days, they have to repeat the class. simply not worth it.

we have a huge issue with kids from india. the parents pull them for one or two months to go to india, come back and parents get all twisted up because the kid has to repeat the semester. we warn the kids not to go, and some listen and stay with a friend while the parents are away.

becuase i teach ESL and kids new to the country i make sure that this info is in my syllabus, that the parents have to sign and return. i discuss in the first day of school teacher talk as well.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy,

Every family day trip or vacation was planned over the Summer, or on weekends during the school year. We wanted to enjoy our vacation and not add school work to the mix.

ladykemma

Wow, 10 days? Lots of kids out here would be repeating then. There are many families that have the means for extended vacations and take them several times a year.

The only thing they have to do is fill out a form that the trip will have some educational value and it's considered an excused absence. It is not hard if you're headed to Europe, they just sight the trip as historical. The teachers are required to give a list of advance work which the students hand in upon their return. It happens all the time out here. There was even a student in my son's school from India who needed to return for eye appointments and surgery on his eyes. He spent at least 1/2 of the 4 high school years in India and it was never a problem. The difference in school districts I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take our family vacation in July every year. I take time during the year for the kids when they where small for sick days. I have 4 weeks of vacation/personal days a year.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have kids but we're both in education - my husband has the regular academic year and I have both the academic year AND the summer... so we actually do our vacations over Christmas and is works out perfectly for us! I don't love the heat, anyway! (Starting Sept. I don't have a job though so if I find a job that means I can't go away Christmas, too bad, we'll just find some other time to go, or just not go.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have always taken a week off in the summer and spring break week. Now it's just dh since I no longer work. We don't go anywhere so I think the only thing my kids ever get pulled out of school for is an orthodontist appointment.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Amy,

ladykemma

Wow, 10 days? Lots of kids out here would be repeating then. There are many families that have the means for extended vacations and take them several times a year.

The only thing they have to do is fill out a form that the trip will have some educational value and it's considered an excused absence. It is not hard if you're headed to Europe, they just sight the trip as historical. The teachers are required to give a list of advance work which the students hand in upon their return. It happens all the time out here. There was even a student in my son's school from India who needed to return for eye appointments and surgery on his eyes. He spent at least 1/2 of the 4 high school years in India and it was never a problem. The difference in school districts I guess.
    it's texas law. in addition, if the kid missed more than 10 days the parents might be charged with truancy fines and jail time. it's serious business, because of the standardized tests. a trip to europe is not going to help them pass the exit level TAKS test, unfortunately.

honestly if you are going to go back to mexico, venezuela, or india for a couple of months, it's better to withdraw them, then re-enroll upon your return.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any family vacations have to be over summer or school breaks. Our district has a rule if you miss 3 days in a semester the child must take finals to pass. No exceptions. I felt bad for my ds having to take finals to pass though he was an A student and made up all work~because he was very ill with h1n1 last fall!