WOTHM's...No More Guilt!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default WOTHM's...No More Guilt!

I thought this was a great article about Work-Outside-of-the-Home Mom's and how a 50-year study has finally shown that our kids turn out just fine!

Working Moms’ Kids Turn Out Fine, 50 Years of Research Says – TIME Healthland

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I loved this article until then last bit of related news -

In related news: a survey of full-time working mothers and mommy bloggers conducted by a thermometer maker found that when their children got sick, 33% of moms pretended to be sick so they could stay home with their child, 62% of them called on parents or in-laws for child care, 57% of them took unpaid leave to care for their child, and a distressing 34% of them took the kid to school or day care anyway — where they could infect your child

That's 186% - did I miss something or is the math just totally wrong?

Other than that, I always like hearing about actual research that shows I am not being a "bad" mom by working full time outside the home. There are many out there who may judge WOTHM moms, but it's nice to see that the statistics show we're not turning out "bad" kids because of our choice to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't necessarily feel guilty about working. I feel guilty when I don't walk in the house until 8pm and my son goes to bed at 8:30pm. (like last night)

my son knows that Mommy has to go to work to earn money to pay for things like food, the house and ALL of the stuff that he wants.
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think working Moms are a great influence on their children, as a single working Mom I take pride in working hard and supporting my children. I get irritated when people look down on working Mom's especially when your a single parent, what other option do you have?

I want to raise children that are willing to work hard for what they want and who appreciate everything that is given to them. I don't want them to expect that things are just handed to them in life. Life is not easy and they need to be prepared.

Even people like Bill Gates, Oprah ect.. Have worked very hard to get where they are today. No one is born with a God given talent they work hard/study hard to get where they are. Kids need to be able to take care of themselves when we are not around some day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two daughters, in their mid to late 30's. I worked their whole lives outside of the home. When they were young I felt guilty about working and having someone else raise them. They went to a handful of different sitters over the years, but I had to work and there was not much discussion on the matter. One time, when they were in late elementary and middle school, I asked them if they wanted me to stay home with them. They told me that if I was not working that they would not be able to do dance, ball, etc. So "NO" they did not want me to stay home. So that was that.

Now, the oldest daughter is a married, stay at home mom of 2 and the youngest is a single working mom with an 8 year old son and a new baby on the way. So needless to say, the youngest daughter will be a work outside of the home mom for a long, long. time.
    Hello from Sunny Central Florida
    Cheryl

Gardening in zone 9B

~If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive. ~ Eleonora Duse

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we do what we need to do. I know I'm a good mother (my nanny told me so ), I realized a long time ago that I could be made to feel guilty by 'well meaning people' only if I gave them that power..... nobody in a LLLLLLLLLLLooooooooooonnnnnnnggggg time has been given that power. it's their opinion so take it as you want...mostly I just leave them. mom's who work outside the home should be held in the highest regard. IMHO FWIW.(finally had to google that one... been waiting to use it lol). you do what you got to do and thats all there is to it.