Fondue Cooking

By on January 18, 2007

Do You Fondue?

This dipping pot of bubbling goodness is back in style. It’s essential to learn about fondue cooking, so you can cook safely and easily, without any disasters or disappointments. Fondue cooking can be fun and easy by cooking simple recipes. If you have a fondue pot hidden away, dig it out and dust it off. If you don’t own one, they can often be found at thrift stores and garage sales, but even at retail prices, they aren’t too costly.

Types of Pots, Burners and Accessories

Pots:

Stainless steel and Aluminim are used for all types of fondue cooking, but need lower temp for cheese and chocolate, so they don’t burn.
Enamelware/Cast iron pots are used for all types of fondue recipes.
Ceramic pots are typically used for cheese and chocolate.
Metal with nonstick coating for all types of fondue cooking, but some can’t reach a high enough temperature for oil.
Stainless Steel with glass inserts for all types of fondue cooking.
Stainless Steel and Copper with interchangeable inserts for all types of fondue cooking.

Burners and Accessories:

Alcohol burners can be used for chocolate, cheese, broth, and oil.
Candles such as votives and tealights are fine for chocolate, but not ideal for cheese, broth, or oil.
Butane heat is good for chocolate, cheese, broth, and oil
Gel fuel like sterno are best for cheese and chocolate, but aren’t the best choice for broth and oil.
Electric pots can be used for all types of fondue cooking.

The following are suggestions for accessories:

Dipping bowls
Sectioned plates
Color coded fondue forks
Grilling mitt
Tongs
Butter warmer sets

Safety and Etiquette Tips:

Heat on stove and transfer to fondue pot.
Fondue forks are for cooking, dipping, and swirling. They are not used to eat with. Transfer your cooked food on a plate. No one likes a double dipper.
Place your fondue pot on a trivet and not directly on your table.
Don’t move a hot fondue pot and don’t leave it unattended with small children.

Bring on the Food

Types of oils to use:

Canola
Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil
Peanut Oil
Safflower Oil
Corn Oil

Cheeses commonly used in fondue recipes:

Emmental
Gruyere
Appenzeller
Fontina
Raclette
Cheddar

Food suggestions to dip in chocolate fondue:

Pretzels
Fresh and dried fruits
Cookies
Marshmallows
Pound cake
Biscotti
Graham crackers
Brownies

Fondue Recipes:

Dipping Sauces:

Bonus Tidbits

As you can see, fondue cooking is versatile. It can be enjoyed alone, with family, for a party, or for couples. There’s a fondue tradition that states if food drops from your fork and into the fondue pot, you have to buy wine for the host or kiss the person next to you. This might encourage or discourage your fondue manners.

Additional Tips:

Can use fondue pots to keep gravy, baked beans, soups, or sauces warm.
Can use a crockpot as a fondue pot.
Can use bamboo skewers.
Leftover cheese and meat fondue items can be used in soups, eggs, or served on potatoes. Leftover dessert fondue can be used on ice cream.
Fondue pots can be used as an emergency heat source for cooking during power outages.
Fondue is great served outside or inside and during any season.
Can use a fondue pot as a Chinese Hot Pot
Great for Valentine’s Day

If new to fondue cooking, you might want to start out with broth, oil, or chocolate fondue recipes. If you really want to do cheese, try adding corn starch to prevent the cheese from separating or adding lemon juice or kirsch, so the cheese doesn’t get too stringy.

Enjoy your fondue cooking.

photo by moriza

1. Michelle S.

1/19/2007 at 1:37 pm

LOL I am chuckling at your “No one likes a double dipper” comment. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George was caught double dipping 🙂

I have actually never had fondue. It sounds like something I’d like to do with the kids, especially the chocolate.

I’m going to check out the recipes that you posted 🙂

1/19/2007 at 1:45 pm

Almost time to break out the chocolate fountain for Valentine’s Day for the kids. I am looking for more goodies to dip into chocolate that they’d enjoy. 🙂

I found a brand new in the box fondue set at the thrift store last year. Then we purchased an electric one a few months ago. It’s a lot of fun. 🙂

When I first started cooking fondue, I didn’t realize you didn’t cook in the pot. That was my duh moment with fondue cooking.

3. Adnaw

1/20/2007 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for reminding me about fondue, it has been a while, since I got the old set out, time to try it out again, maybe, replace it with an electric.

4. PrairieRose

1/21/2007 at 10:26 pm

Ok, you’ve got me craving chocolate covered strawberries over here. I’m so going to be looking for a fondue pot now.

5. bee9984

1/29/2007 at 8:11 pm

My family lovessss Fondu! I usually make a chinese one. I will steam up some long grain rice and chop up some fresh veggies and dip. We have beef and shrimp with ours. For the sauce I make a regular beef broth on the stove in a pot(2 cups) with 1/4 cup of red wine in the broth, as soon as it is heated I transfer the dipping sauce into the fondu pot.To help with the relaxing atmosphere we like to play oriental music in the back ground :).

6. mom23boys

2/18/2007 at 6:06 pm

I love fondu, especially chocolate!! I totally agree…..no double dipping!! Please take what you want and put it on your own plate!! Even though it is nice to share, I don’t want your germs!!

I would love some chocolate covered strawberries or pretzles. Yum!

2/19/2007 at 12:38 am

I don’t think I have ever had fondu, I want to give it a try now. Thank you for posting some great recipes for it.

8. Maggi

2/19/2007 at 11:53 am

I haven’t tried to do fondu at home. But have had it when out. When went to a restaurant that had a buffet and it had a fountain fondu. It was pretty. I didn’t try it, my dh did. He loves white chocolate.

2/19/2007 at 11:44 pm

Chocolate covered strawvberries. Yummy! I haven’t done the actual fondue but I have dipped into the lovely flowing chocolate in the chocolate fountains.

10. Darlene

2/24/2007 at 2:53 pm

We used to use a fondue pot but the bottom often scorched. We now cook it on the stove then transfer it to a ceramic bowl that we place on a hot plate that makes it easier to regulate the heat. I’d like to use our electric skillet but don’t want to scratch the coating. Been looking for teflon like fondue forks but haven’t found any. Someone needs to make those,lol.

When my kids were younger we’d have a pizza fondue.
    Nowadays you’d find hubby and I at the table with candles glowing, nice music playing, just talking & enjoying as we dip our breaded forks into a swiss cheese fondue with wine and a hint of dijon and nutmeg. So relaxing, fun and oh so good. 🙂

11. AheeK

2/27/2007 at 12:38 am

Mmmm, cheese fondue is GOOD! I’ve had it twice. Definitely not for people with sensitive stomachs though…consuming a pound of melted cheese in one sitting tends to take a toll on your digestive system. I’ve never had a meat or chocolate fondue… they sound very tasty!

12. Lady_V

3/31/2007 at 8:11 pm

We were given a fondue set for the holidays one year… I was only using it to heat my chocolate (easier to shovel it in.. the faster you get it in, the less calories you know… lol) \

Thank you for all the wonderful recipes! Maybe I will put something other than chocolate in mine… MAYBE

13. Ron Fortin

6/10/2015 at 9:23 am

I am looking for a source where I can purchase individual cooking pots which allows each person at the table to have their own cooking pot.

Thanks,