Children of the heart

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Children of the heart

Good morning,
    I have a blended family. We spent years trying to adopt, and I do mean years.
    After a heart breaking loss of our first baby, at full term, emergency C-section, things looked bleak to say the least. Then less than one year later I almost died due to ruptured appendix. After a full month in the hospital and a total of 4 months of very serious infection I was unable to get pg. It was heart breaking to say the least. We decided since we couldn't have a family of our own we would help out other children and we began doing foster care. Now talk about a heart breaking experience! There we was, wanting kids so badly and here these people were not giving their kids the love we had so much of. After 10 years we just couldn't do it any more. It was about all we could stand when they would take the children from our home to go back to the parent that had abused them. My heart broke each time, to let go of a child that only wanted to be loved as much as we wanted one to love was almost my undoings.

A short while after giving up on foster care we finally got the call we had waited so long for. They had a child that needed a home. Talk about thrilled! First child we added to our family was a wonderful, blue eyed, blonde haired, 3 year old boy. What a day, it was unforgettable! I can't begin to tell you how this made our family FINALLY feel complete. No more dreaming of what it would be like to be called momma! Life went on, and our son grew. We counted our blessings daily that we finally was a family and had a child of our own. It was funny when people would see us and didn't know that we had adopted. They was always saying how much our son looked like his dad, or my dad's family. I never said anything, and laughed often under my breath. It was an awesome feeling.

Our son was almost 13 years old when we got a wonderful surprise. We was asked if we was interested in taking two little girls (private adoption). They were full sisters, only 11 months apart and needed a home. Well me being the person I am, and my husband being who he is jumped at the chance of adding to our family. My son being use to being the only child was the first concern.
    So we talked things over with him before anything was decided. He was fine with the idea of sharing, and in fact was excited to add to the family. He only question was, "how come no boys?" I explained this wasn't a matter of choice, we didn't get to "order what we wanted", it isn't a catalog order where you choose! I also ask him if the important thing wasn't that a child needed a home!
    He was all for it. So just as we had thought there would never be more kids for us we was surprised with the addition of two Korean daughters. The girls was 3 and 4, and what a blessing! I can't begin to tell you what a special family I have!
    I count my blessings daily, and I know God answers prayers. The empty heart of this woman was filled with the love of not one child but three. Adoption isn't a mail order,its not an easy way of getting a family. It takes stubborn waiting, longing, and more waiting. Miles of red tape, years of struggle, tears, and longing of the heart to make your family a real family that includes children. I know this story is long winded, and drawn out, but its important that people know that adoption isn't an easy way of getting a family. Its worth the struggle, the tears, and the waiting when things turn out, but my heart does go out to the other families that are waiting. Its something you have to do to know the feelings that come with it. Good luck to all of those that are waiting, and may God answer your prayers with a baby of the heart. I tell my children all the time that they are an anwers to my prayers, they are children of my heart not of my womb. They were picked from all the children in the world to be our's, and we count our blessing daily. My son is now 29, my daughters at this time are both 19, the oldest one will be 20 on the 30 th of next month. Oh how blessed we have been, to have three children of the heart!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

My favorite saying is "You didn't grow under my heart... you grew in it"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing! It brought tears to my eyes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tell parents who adopt that they got to pick their kids and I got "stuck" with mine.

Edited to add:
    I hope this gets read ok. Sometimes, I can post stuff and you all can't see my body language that goes with it or know that my boys are terrors, good terrors, but still terrors.
    Last edited by zakity; 09-23-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful story.