So how many adoptees are here?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default So how many adoptees are here?

I've seen a few posts recently when people mentioned being adopted and thought I'd start a thread about us!

Have any of you re-united or searched for your first families?

I did, when I was 20 years old. I should've written a book! I was among the first wave of adoptees who clamored for access to their birth records. When I was growing up, I knew one single, solitary fact about my biological mother -- and that was that she was unmarried.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a conversation with you all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was adopted by my paternal grandparents. I knew my dad because of that, but he didn't "participate" in my life per se. I did search out my bio mom when I was 19, and have since met her, but that's a very difficult situation still. Not the best experience, though she is still a limited part of our lives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am not adopted, but our family is filled with adopted kids, including my son. I helped him search for and find his birthdad.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My younger brother and I were adopted when we were 3 and 4. They were an older couple who was really close to the family. So as we grew up, we knew our aunts and uncles on my fathers side, and we had met our father a couple times when we were younger. We didn't have any contact with our biological mother until we were older about 20 and 21. She basically informed us to not think of her as our mother, but as the body that carried us. Well, that was the last I saw of her. I have spoken with my father a couple of times in my 33 years, but we are not close at all.

I would love to speak with other adoptees as well.
    Dawn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am adopted also Shoshana. I was an infant and was adopted into a home that was truly Leave it to Beaver.I knew from my earliest memory that I was adopted , and never felt any differently than any other child.I did have basic knowledge of the events surrounding my birth, my mother was unmarried, a child of elderly parents.She loved music.She wrote a letter, after careful thought, why she was choosing to give me up. She felt her parents would be stricken with the news(this was 1961.)I can understand that.She requested that I be placed in a home with siblings, not as an only child. She requested that I be placed with a musical family. Both her requests were honored.
    I vaguely remember the process to adopt my brother, but at age five, I fully recollect the process to adopt my sister. I remember the social worker coming for a home study, and mom being so nervous.I thought it was a test, so I sang, danced, played the piano, drew,.....she had one hell of a show.I remember going to court, with my parents, and raising my hand to be sworn in right along with
    them.I remember the titters from the courtroom, and wondering why everyone, including the judge, was laughing? I remember everyone leaving the courtroom, and the judge asking my parents to bring me up to the bench. I asked him,"Did I pass the test?" and he said 'Yes, honey, you did". He opened his drawer and pulled out a Kewpie doll!! All my memories are great, and I have a special place in my heart for everyone involved. Well, that's my story.

I do want to add.... I never felt the need to find my birth parents, but my sister wanted more info. She petitioned the court, and was sent a copy of the intake report of the social worker assigned to her mother.I read it, for the first time, with her. The astute observation of that social worker, so long ago, really brought life into this invisible woman,"Here sits before me, a young woman. She has an oval face, fine blonde hair, wide hazel eyes.It is an arresting friendly face." As she gave her account , of the physical description of the woman before her, it was a perfect match, down to a mole on her cheek, of my sister.
    Last edited by annymoll; 10-21-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was adopted at birth...I'd love to find my birth mother.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Adopted at birth. My story is already posted elsewhere here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My brother and I are adopted. Mom stayed Mom... the Dad's changed around. Wish I wasn't adopted. Not that I hate being adopted, I hate the man who is now on my birth certificate forever. (Mom's now ex)

My brother has had NO contact with our 'sperm donor' since he was 5, but had never lived with him. He is now 33.

It was harder for me to not think about him because I was 'Daddy's Princess'. I went for visitations with him up until he stopped coming. I was 8 or 9. I remember always trying to have him back in my life... but his wife is a PITA.

This went on for years... doctors thought I had a brain tumor... he couldn't be bothered to come visit me and said I was better off dead.

Even then... I couldn't let go.

When my SIL was pregnant, I called him to get the family medical history. Found out he is a genetic time bomb.

I called him when I was getting married -- he tried to hit me up for some money (I told him to take it out of the money he saved by never sending me a birthday card).

I called him to let him know I was a Mother and wanted him to meet his granddaughter and hope to rekindle the family we once had.

When I told him my daughter is also adopted... he said "I don't want no gook grandkid".

THAT was the last time I ever spoke to him. The child in me always looked for the family I lost... the mother in me needs no other family than the one I have.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My Dh is a void child. He was removed from his parents home at 8 and never adopted althought several of his siblings were. The reason I call him a void child because in the state of Va. unless your adopted you can't apply for any records with regards to your family. You fall in a void.
    DH had 8 natural brothers and sisters and a additional 5 step siblings by both parents. So far we have located and talked to all but one. For years we hunted for siblings placing ads in papers and sending out hundreds of flyers.
    The sister we lack was born Sept. 27, 1959 her name was Robin Lynn Galle she was adpoted from St. Mary's Infant home in Norfolk, Va. in 1963. That was the last time anyone ever saw her.
    We were very lucky when DH was removed from his home it made the front page of the Virginai Pilot Paper so we had lots of information about who and why. We went to the paper 30 years later and got them to do a human intrest story on trying to find siblings. It brought 2 more kids into the mix. But still no Robin.
    Dh had a good relation with his mom who passed 3 years ago and his dad who died this year. Alcohol was the break up of his family which is why he doesn't drink. We have a fair relation with most of his siblings but live far enought away not to be over involved with their problems. Alcohol/Drugs are a major problem for most of his siblings.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a half breed, lol. Biological mom, adopted dad. Never had a desire to know my biological dad, I did wonder about siblings but through my mom was able to find out there were none. He died last year (also learned through my mom, he still lived in her hometown where she subscribes to the paper) and it was wierd to think I'd lost my chance to do something I'd never really wanted in the first place... very mixed emotions about it. I went online and read the obituary, searched his picture for clues of shared biology, we have the same nose. That was that, I believe God knows who's DNA we need and whose love we need to be the people we are meant to be. I just happened to need it from different men.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm adopted too! Adopted as an infant by the two most loving people one could ever imagine. Don't know much about the Bio Mom, but I'm glad she gave me a chance at life, and the two parents that I got couldn't be anymore wonderful. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am adopted and my 2 daughters are adopted by my husband who raised them as his...we all know who birth parents are and the rest of the family too...I have a great relationship with both birth and adopted familys..of my own and my girls..

I do feel that it should not be kept from the child that they are adopted and if they want to know who the birth family is they should be able to as long as both sides agree...There should be a way of getting medical history no matter what...