adoption question
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default adoption question

I am wondering if you can do an adoption without a lawyer. The lawyer and filing fee here in Georgia is 2000. That at the moment is alot for us. It would be a relative adoption (brother in law) child to me and my husband (brother)
    I the birth parents (brother in law) and girlfriend are willing to let us adopt.
    Seeing that they cannot provide or take care of the baby. I have actually been taking care of him for the last month and I am pushing to make it permanent just the big bucks stand in our way.
    SO if anyone has any advice..
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never in a million years do a private adoption without an attorney. I know it's a lot of money, but it would be well spent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to agree. You want to make sure that your interests, as well as the child's are protected (and especially if it's "in the family" - that can get sticky sometimes)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry my original respons was harsh sounding. In my family, I have a sister that has 5 children that she has "farmed out" to other people in our family. I use that term because she can't do ANYTHING for these children and the best thing would have been for her to place them for adoption. However, she lets people in the family be their "guardians" (not legally) until she gets angry and then uses the kids as weapons. When she's mad, she'll take them back. My mom raised two of these kids until my sister got angry with her and completely took them out of my mom's life for TWO YEARS. It devastated my mom. My mom had nothing to stand on. She called the state, hired an attorney and tried to use "grandparents rights" as her backbone. Nothing came of it. She had no rights because nothing had been done legally.

So, please, please, please--save yourself and the child a lot of heartache and use an adoption attorney that knows all the ins and outs of adoption.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see that your adoption is final...congrats. But for anyone else who is asking this question, some places will give grants and loans. Usually the loan would be a bad idea, but there is a tax credit for adoption (non-stepchild) which can easily cover the loan. It may be in a case like this, that the lawyer may be willing to hold his fee (or take payments) until you get the tax credit. I know, it is debt, but for a very very good reason...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Call some attorneys in your area....many will give the first 'consult' free.

While they won't be much help if you find out you CAN do it yourself, they will be sure to point out all the downfalls of it. Give you something to think about......

miz
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its possible, at least were I am, to have the county and state involved and then there is minimal cost to you. I am adopting my 2 grandchildern and it has cost me very little. In fact have been recieving fostercare payments. Adoption will be final on Wednesday!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I have been looking at a possible goal of adoption in a few years and it is surprising how much help there is. And according to my plan, it will be feasible in the next few years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hii good information..i want to know that if any Indian want to adopt child of other country then What are the legal formalities and how long will it take??