looking for parents

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default looking for parents

i have been trying to find my birth parents for a long time, and no luck, i have no last name to go by, i even tried going thru our goverment, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about looking????

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I assume you have talked to your adoptive parents and gotten as much information as possible? Things like last name, where the adoption took place, when?
    If you've got good information about your date and place of birth you can start there. With the hospital records and newspaper birth announcements. Go to the courthouse and look in the chanclery records for the time of your adpotion. But whatever you do DON"T mention your search has to do with adpotion or you'll be stonewalled all the way. If anyone asks your doing family research, geneology.
    Have you posted to adoption reunion sites?
    My DH is working from the other end. He had 8 brothers and sisters that were split up when he was 9. So far we've found 7 still looking for Robin Lynn Galle born Sept. 27, 1959 in Portsmouth, Va. Its not easy the biggest thing is to get correct and true information. Several of my hubands siblings had names and birth date changed. That makes it harder.

Good Luck
    Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should be able to go to the court where your adoption took place and ask for the records to be opened. It may take a legal battle to do so without a medical reason, but it can be done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Julie:

Have you ever visited adoption.com? They have special forums for adoptees (and first families) who are searching. You can learn search techniques by state, and there are search angles who are often willing to help. Depending on where you were born, and the method of the adoption, it will be either relatively simple, or not.

I found my bio family years ago, so I do understand the need to search. It's a very emotional undertaking. I also know people who have searched their entire lives, but to no avail -- thanks to sealed records Adult adoptees still have no access to records in the state where I was born (Indiana) and I do not have a legal copy of my records -- I do have them, however, thanks to some helpful people behind the scenes.

I wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by Shoshana; 12-04-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is where Nana2two should step in... She is great at this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you were adopted in BC... they may be able to help...

Adoption Reunion Registry
    PO Box 9705 Prov Govt
    Victoria BC V8W 9S1

Phone: 250 387-3660 (Victoria, BC)

I also wanted to add... if your final family does not know you are looking, you may want to consider asking them for help. I know it can be a touchy subject. If they do know, chances are they know your birth name, unless you were a birthing-room adoption.

I still have my DD's Cambodian passport. We jumped through hoops trying to get her US birth certificate after the adoption was finalized in the states. I read about loopholes and knew there was a way. They wanted me to surrender her passport, but it was the only and last link to her homeland should she feel the desire to do an international search.

You family MAY have something of yours too...
    Last edited by Lady_V; 12-04-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thank you so much everyone, i've tried all the goverment and even a P.I but sealed records are the problem. I know some of the background, but with no name it's hard.