cost of adoption
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy cost of adoption

Hi
    I think I posted this in the wrong place, so I am reposting here. (sorry)

We have been wanting to adopt for about 3 years..The agency we talked to said it would cost 20-40 THOUSAND for overseas adoption.... this was just out of our reach.

Are there less expensive venues out there for adoption??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kelly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We adopted a sibling group of 3 through the state. (they were 3,4,&5). They had a baby sister that was placed in another home. (So you can get infants) it's just not as easy and usually the wait is longer. The cost however is minimal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, yes, yes. Domestic adoption through the state really shouldn't cost you anything at all! I encourage you to look up info on your state, and perhaps call your local office and talk to them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah...my Dh and I have talked adoption for years now... Through the state agency is definitely the cheapest way... I've heard in the $800-$1200 range per kid??? Don't know how accurate that is...this was verbal (ie. not in writing). Keep your chin up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am an adopted child. In 1961, it cost $500.00 to adopt! That included everything as far as court costs, social work, etc.I love to tease my mom about her bargain in light of what costs can be nowdays. Unreal!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are on the waiting list to adopt an infant (will probably be 3 to 6 months old) through our local Catholic Social Services (you don't have to be Catholic) and their price for the adoption is $6,000.00 plus we will have to pay for foster care for every day the baby is in care...so total we figure will be around 9 to 10 thousand.

We will not be getting a newborn as they do not place the baby until the parental rights are terminated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.... I will look into contacting the state of Iowa today.... I have a 12 year old and 5 year old. I am thinking that 4-6 would be a great age.
    thanks again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could look into fost/adopt. We have a healthy newborn in our home who was born in our county. It's called "concurrent planning" when the child is placed with you while a final plan (reunification with birth family or adoption) is made. Not only do we pay zero, the state gives us assistance until the adoption is finalized. For some folks (depending on income and/or the child's needs) get monthly assistance AFTER the adoption until the child is 18. These are the benefits of a public adoption vs. a private one. There is more risk of the child going back to the birth family in a lot of cases but here we can specify how much risk we want to take on. For example, we were on the high risk list and we had a 21/2 year old who we thought we might get to adopt, but she went back with her grandparents soon after we got her. We were also on the low risk list and now we have a wonderful baby boy whose birth mom couldn't care for him. Best of luck to you! There are many more toddlers and older children that need homes than there are infants. I bet you could get one very quickly through the state or county.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I DID IT !!

I contacted the state of Iowa, and a info pack on fostering/adoption is on it's way...
    Yiphee !!
    Thanks