Grandparents adopting?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Grandparents adopting?

Has anyone adopted their grandchild? If so what is the general process.
    We have been raising our granddaughter since she was 1 yr old, she is now 9.
    Her father, my son, is in prison and will be until she is almost an adult. Her mother has addiction problems as well as two other children she is not able to support. We have been named our granddaughters legal guardians for several years now. We are planning on seeing an attorney when we get our tax refund. If anyone has any experience or advice I would really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi,

We adopted my grandkids. Their mom is my daughter and she was having problems with addictions too. Thank goodness she's sober now, but still not ready to raise her kids. We kinda tricked her into the adoption because it was in the best interest of the kids and the adoption would guarantee the dad's could never have a claim on them. Dad's were total loser's, although one doesn't even know he had a daughter.

We went through 2 separate adoptions. The process took about a year and we had the mom's consent. Some of the delay was wasted time looking for the dad's who were not to be found. There was an attorney ad litum appointed in one of the adoptions since the dad was named on the birth certificate. The second child didn't have a dad named so it was simpler. They posted a notice in the paper and checked the state birth registry. There was a home study in both cases. The first home study was by a do-gooder social worker who didn't understand that when grandparents adopt, there is baggage and she was very judgmental. She interviewed the whole family and didn't like the fact that I was the spokesperson for the family, and she apparently expected my husband to speak for us. In her report, I came across in a very negative light. The report was full of inaccuracies but it got us what we needed. This social worker required us to take parenting classes. Please, I raised my two sisters and then my own three kids. Parenting classes I didn't need. Help with my daughter would have been nice, but help with a baby I didn't need.

The second home study was terrific. The social worker used to work for the judge and then moved into social work, she had seen lots of grandparent adoptions and knew that when it happens, there are always extenuating circumstances.

After the home study, the social worker makes a recommendation to the court and then you set a court date. I think the termination hearing is conducted at the same as the adoption.

You should be able to breeze through this. It's common for grandparents to adopt these days. Don't forget to notify Social Security when the adoption is completed. We had to have the document that was imprinted by the court clerk. The first time, I took the original document with original signatures but no imprint and they wouldn't take it.

Good luck and your grand-daughter is very lucky to have you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thank you

Thank you so much Grandma Lewis. It helps to have an idea of what to expect.