Apples, apples everywhere!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Apples, apples everywhere!

This is a bumper crop year. Again. I still have apples int he freezer from last year, as well as apple sauce and apple butter.

I just finished 12 - 1/2 pints of apple jelly, set perfectly last night, and today 11 - 1/2 pints and one 1/4 pint of cinnamon apple jelly. I'm listening for all the popping of the jars right now. Great sound!

But that was really just the tip of the iceberg, the jellies were made from green apples that had to be culled from the tree to lessen the burden or the branches ont he poor tree would snap!

So.... what else can I' make with my apples? They are starting to ripen up now, my dd is picking 5 gallons right now, but that's just the beginning!!!

Ideas??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I peel/core/slice and then freeze them so that I can make pies or crisps later

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to peel, slice them and sautee in butter with brown sugar and cinnamon.Then I put them over pancakes .you could put them over alot of things including ice cream.you could also make breads like apple pumpkin bread and such.Taste of Home is a good website(also magazine)for recipes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm Green apple color with jealously!! How about a trade? I've got a freezer full of orange and lemon slices and juice. Isn't that how it is you always want what you don't have. lol
    Send me a mailing addy and I'll forward you a phamlet type recipe book I've got for apples.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dehydrate ours. They make a great snack or can be rehydrated for pies, sauce etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No suggestions, but I'm really jealous.

(And thanks for the apple pie craving. LOL.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do straight canned apples. I also can homemade apple pie filling. I use apples in my split pea soup. I usually put in 1 or 2 apples in my soup but my sister puts in lots (up to 20) it gives the soup a great flavour.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok, I should mention I have no more freezer space as I'm get a 1/2 side of beef in a few weeks. So it's to be canned? I don't have a dehydrator.

So any ideas? Love the pie filling idea! Recipe? Maybe, please?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think my trees are dying but the neighbors have a bumper crop and are sharing more than they can use. I will be making cobblers this weekend and freezing

It might be worth borrowing or buying a dehydrator. reconstitute with water and make pies in the winter. I borrowed one so often they gave it to me and said they will borrow it if needed. So I have 2 running.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so jealous. If I wanted to buy an apple around here, it would cost on average $1 a piece!!!!! I cannot wait for my apple tree to produce. I found it at a nursery, it was half dead, for only $10. It's pretty big too! I trade you some tomatoes for apples?!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Anything done in a dehydrator can be done in a conventional oven, so don't feel that you have to can everything. We make apple fruit rollups by drying pureed apple sauce and it is the most delicious snack ever.

I don't really have many ideas as my kids eat about 4lbs of apples a week, so I don't have much need to preserve them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you pm me some apple recipes too. We have two tree that we thought were crabapple but they are big and one tree have red apples and the other has green. So I think they are regular apples.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just curious what kind of apples are in season right now and how old were your trees before you got a crop....oh and...YAY for you my DH loves apples and the prices are so high in the store

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My tree was mature when we moved here, we've been here 7 years. We have a zone 3 for growing season. So I"m not sure. I *think* we have a macintosh tree, but it could be spartan. We also have granny smith in the area, but not here.

a tree usually needs 1 to 2 years to rest after a transplant before it produces, but that can vary. Some might right away.

My kids eat an apple a day, dh as well, plus the dayhome, however when my apples are ripe, we are looking at 30 to 40 GALLONS of apples. They could never be eaten in time. They have quite abit of hail damage this year so the kids aren't too fond of them.

I'd love the recipes for dehydrating in the oven... I have a convection as well as convential oven, would that do?

I'd gladly trade apples for tomatoes.... my tomatoes are being super duper slow, my cherry tomatoes are still blooming, no fruit yet. My grownins season ends in about 6 weeks, they better hurry up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I slice mine and spritz them with water and Fruit Fresh...no sugar or lemon needed. I think Fruit Fresh is just ascorbic acid. I use them for pies and crisps as well.

I freeze unsweetened applesauce and use it to replace fat in baking in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in Bradenton View Post
    I'm Green apple color with jealously!! How about a trade? I've got a freezer full of orange and lemon slices and juice.
    Okay Laurie, I have to ask, what do you use the frozen slices for? I freeze my lemons whole, but I never thought of doing anything like that for oranges. I juice my lemons eventually, and grate the rind when they're still frozen (it's easier). What do you do with frozen slices though?

Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast