calling all apple bakers! I need input..
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default calling all apple bakers! I need input..

I posted yesterday that I wanted apples if anyone had an apple tree they couldn't keep up with.
    I got 2 replied over night. One for crab apples. I did a search and found that they were the first apples to be baked with because they are sour. Anyone ever baked with crab apples? I never knew you could eat them!
    The other reply was 40 minutes away but I'm thinking if I got enough to fill my car the ride would be worth it.
    Usually, DH,DS and I go up the road a bit and get droppings from an apple farm for $5 to fill a big basket which fills a paper grocery bag and usually a smaller bag too.
    Also, how do you preserve the apples to bake with if you can't use them all in a day? Can you cut them and freeze them to use in pies,cobblers,crisps,etc at a later date?
    I could pick them up today!
    Also, which is the better deal? Drive 40 minutes for a whole bunch which could potentially turn into an annual deal or pay the $5 for a bag and a half? She said that 90% of her apples go to waste! That's a whole lot of apples for me!
    Last edited by alarosalpn; 08-25-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot something

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

apples will keep in a cool room for a long time.. in the frige even longer..

You can dehydrate I peel and slice dip in some fruit fresh or lemon juice and water and then freeze sometimes in pies or cobblers or often in bags to bake into pies and cobblers later.

applesauce in a crock pot is good also then eat, can or freeze

use any apples with blemishes first those will spoil fastest. some apples will keep for months in the right storage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

grandma used to make crab apple jelly it was so pretty much easier than peeling tiny apples

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've only ever used crab apples in jelly. I freeze my apples for apple pies and crisps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My SIL and I are going to go picking at the farther one Thursday! I can't wait!
    Tomorrow we're going pear picking! For FREE from someone off of freecycle! I wonder if they saw my apple posting and decided to offer pear picking! She even said she's gonna help us! I'm so excited! Now I have to search for a bunch of pear recipes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny you should mention pears I just got a bunch of them from a friend- too many to eat so I went hunting for some recipies I wanted to make a cake or bread I found one at recipezaar called pear bread delight...it is delicious,so moist and yummy I have frozen most of it to keep me away from it LOL also when breads are really moist the become moldy very easily(I had that happen with rhubarb muffins)
    http://www.recipezaar.com/3520ar