Article: Time For Apples Has Arrived
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Article: Time For Apples Has Arrived

Apple season has arrived, the time for picking fruit from laden trees, visiting orchard and garden stands, taking children on excursions where they can participate in apple related activities, and stirring up traditional and new recipes using this fruit.

This becomes a time of frosty nights, colorful leaves, and days to enjoy before winter comes. In my memories, and today with my grandchildren, apple time of year becomes a very enjoyable one.

A Favored Fruit

Apples have long been a favored fruit in this country. As we hike through farm lands gone back to forest, we'll find stands of apple trees. Along stone walls and country roads, the remnants of old apple trees may yield some fruit.

The early pioneers dried apples to use for winter food. My mother canned applesauce and slices for our cold weather meals.

Apple pie often is considered a traditional dessert in this country. It even was served for breakfast in some areas.

Apple Cookery

Along with apple picking comes the creation of all those special dishes with this tasty fruit. These might include homemade applesauce (a favorite with my grandchildren), pies, puddings, cakes, cobblers, and apple dumplings.

Recipes you might want to try include this one of my aunt's, who said it was given to her by a neighbor:

SWEDISH APPLE PIE - Mix together 1 slightly beaten egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, pinch of salt. Add 1 cup chopped apples and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and blend well. (Some cooks like to add raisins instead of so many walnuts.)

Turn into a buttered pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes.

Serve with whipped cream. My aunt served sweetened heavy cream over the pie.

APPLE FRITTERS - This was a favorite supper dish my mom made when I was a child. She often served it with ham, bacon, or sausage.

Mix together 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream (often used by old time cooks instead of shortening).

Stir in sifted dry ingredients: 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 1/2 cups flour,
    2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Mix in thinly sliced or chopped apples. Add a dash of cinnamon, if desired.

Cook on a griddle as you would pancakes.

(Mother also made CORN FRITTERS by substituting corn for the
    apples...another supper dish.)

(c)2002 Mary Emma Allen

(Mary Emma Allen has been writing "Country Kitchen" columns for nearly 40 years, sharing recipes, food history, and family stories. She also writes and illustrates books for children and adults. Visit her web site: http://homepage.fcgnetworks.net/jetent/mea;
    E-mail: [email protected])

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Sara, I can't wait to pick apples. The recipes sound good !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can't wait to go apple picking too, and I'm not really an apple fan either!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i LOVE apples, but wouldn't know where to pick them around here.