What do with blackberries & apples?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question What do with blackberries & apples?

I have a virtually limitless supply of blackberries. I've tried jam before and either end up with syrup (which is tasty on it's own) or a brick. I think it's because I'm not good at following recipes to a T - I like to dink. The other issue is that my dd's won't eat blackberry jam with seeds, so i run it thru the food mill. I think I may loose some pectin. I have successfully made blackberry-honey syrup, but I have WAY more blackberries than we need syrup. Any other suggestions?

As for apples, my neighbor has three trees that she hardly uses. I can think of dried apples, apple sauce and apple butter. What other good ideas do you have?

TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Send the blackberries to me! I just paid 4.20 a quart for them.

Actually, can you maybe sell them or barter them to neighbors for other items you might need? In my area, blackberries are in demand and no one ever has enough.

For the apples, you can make apple pie filling and can it. Or you can make apple pies and freeze the pies for winter use. I also make and freeze apple crisps. Then when I need one for dessert, I just thaw and bake in the oven to heat up. Makes the house smell great too! I also feed them to my goats.
    And of course you could also barter a few bags of them for something else?
    Or post them on free cycle and let someone come and get them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: What do with blackberries & apples?

Originally posted by Valerie in WA
    I have a virtually limitless supply of blackberries. I've tried jam before and either end up with syrup (which is tasty on it's own) or a brick. I think it's because I'm not good at following recipes to a T - I like to dink. The other issue is that my dd's won't eat blackberry jam with seeds, so i run it thru the food mill. I think I may loose some pectin.
    TIA!
    First of all, you can't mess with canning recipes very much at all, especially jams and jellies. It sounds like you are making jam and THEN taking the seeds out for your kids? If that is the case, take the seeds out first and make jelly. I too have blackberries and the jelly comes out great.

I have also used different fruits (berries) combined to make really nice tasting mixed fruit jelly and jams. You just have to use the exact amount of fruit, sugar and pectin as the recipe calls for and it should come out perfect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pancakes with chunks of apples in them, blackberry pancakes, crisp, cakes,freeze them for later use, you can also put in apple recipes in your search engine and you will be amazed at all the recipes you get.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: Re: What do with blackberries & apples?

Originally posted by SewCrafty
    First of all, you can't mess with canning recipes very much at all, especially jams and jellies. It sounds like you are making jam and THEN taking the seeds out for your kids? ...You just have to use the exact amount of fruit, sugar and pectin as the recipe calls for and it should come out perfect.
    Sorry that was unclear: I remove the seeds before making the jam. I can't remember if I diddled with the recipes last year, but I hate to use so much sugar, and I often do diddle, so odds are that I did!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay Valerie, then you aren't loosing any pectin that way, the pectin is in the Certo or Sure Jell you are adding.

I used the no sugar/less sugar Sure Jell (pink box) last year. It came out tasty but doesn't gel up as well as the original. It is better once you refridgerate though. I don't like all that sugar either, not for medical reasons, it's just too sweet for me.

Try the low/no sugar one, you can play with the sugar amount in that one a bit. Just make one batch and see if you like it.

You can also take out most of the seeds with your food mill and leave some in, and still make jam.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just thought I'd tell you guys that I've been making fruit leather with about 5/8 apple puree & 3/8 seedless blackberries. First puree the apples, mill the berries (which turns them to liquid-y goo) and mix them together. Let them sit for a bit and skim off the thin liquid that rises. Then spread thickly (1/4 - 1/2 inch thick) on plastic wrap which has been fit to half the dehydrator rack. Takes about 24-36hrs to dry in my machine. A cup of berries or apples chunks reduces to a half-cup when milled or pureed. Yesterday, I had 5 cups mixed total, which made three pieces of leather about 4"x10" each. I cut them in half, wrap in plastic and store. These definitely aren't fast to produce, but the only cost is my time (and I enjoy doing it) and the electricity to puree apples and run the dehydrator - which is minimal.

You know, it just occurred to me: Later this month, the berries will probably be coming faster than I can dry them, BUT I bet I could mill them, then freeze them, and then I could thaw a batch when I'm ready to make the leather.

I've also been drying the apples in small chunks (rather than rings which take up a lot of space). Each morning, I get 8-12 apples from the neighbor's trees, then core, peel, slice & cut them. I dip them in lemon juice to reduce browning. They fill 3-5 racks of my Ronco dehydrator and take about 24hrs to dry, but I dry them much drier than store-bought. They last longer this way and take up less space - and I prefer them this way. So far I've filled two quart freezer bags (about 1.5lbs dried). Yum! Yum!