apple jelly with apple juice?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default apple jelly with apple juice?

My crew loves apple jelly, but hates apple juice (go figure). I got a great deal on apple juice a few weeks ago and was wondering if I could make jelly with it.
    Please keep in mind I've never made jelly of any kind, so instructions need to be VERY specific. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm interested to know too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would think you could if it's unsweetened juice. You may have to reduce it slightly to make it more concentrated before you begin. I almost always use fruit pectin in jelly recipes, they have detailed instructions in the box.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

they have directions in the sure-jel box that tell how to make apple jelly and grape jelly out of juices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I'm off to buy some sure-jell!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SURE.JELLĀ® Apple Jelly

Prep Time: 1 hr min
    Total Time: 2 hr min
    Makes: about 6 (1-cup) jars

4 cups canned apple juice
    Few drops red food coloring (optional)
    1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
    1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
    5 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl (See tip below.)

BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
    MEASURE juice into 6- or 8-quart saucepot; add food coloring, if desired.
    STIR pectin in juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
    STIR in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
    LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

How To
    Measure Precisely: To get exact level cup measures of sugar, spoon sugar into dry metal or plastic measuring cups, then level by scraping excess sugar from top of cup with a straight-edged knife.

SURE.JELLĀ« Remake Directions for Cooked Jam or Jelly
    1. Prepare Jars.2. Boil a jar on rack in large pot filled with water 10 minutes. Place a flat lid in saucepan with water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let jar and lid stand in hot water until ready to fill with Trial Batch. Drain well before filling. Repeat this procedure with jars needed for remainder of batch.3. Prepare Pectin Mixture.4. Slowly stir contents of 1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin into 3/4 cup cold water in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat; continue to boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.5. Prepare Trial Batch.6. 1 cup your jam or jelly2 Tbsp. sugar1 Tbsp. Pectin Mixture (from Step 4) Measure jam or jelly, sugar and Pectin Mixture into small (1-quart) saucepan. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirre7. Prepare Remainder of Batch.8. Do not try to remake more than 8 cups of jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets satisfactorily, follow the recipe above, using the listed measures of sugar and Pectin Mixture for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure jam or jelly9. For convenience in measuring larger amounts of Pectin Mixture and sugar:8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup16 tablespoons = 1 cupREMEMBER: If your jam or jelly still doesn't set, you can always use it as a glaze or syrup!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOOHOO!!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done a pretty fine grape jelly out of grape juice, and my sister does it all the time for her crew. Much cheaper than Welches or the Noname grape jelly for the morning toast.

Never did the apple jelly but it would stand to reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I've been wondering this too! Guess what my family is eating on toast this winter!