Flat Top Stoves and Gas vs. Electric in General
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Flat Top Stoves and Gas vs. Electric in General

One of the first questions my kitchen thread has brought to my attention is that while I have always disliked the way the electric stoves I've had in the past cooked and loved the way the gas stoves I've had have cooked I've never had a flat top. DH and I are pretty sure we're going with gas, although, as I wander through the appliance stores I love the sleek look, which appears very easy to clean, of the electric flat tops.

If I could get your thoughts on stoves I would love the information. I am especially looking for thoughts on flat tops if you have one, or if you went with either gas or electric and love it or regret it, and why.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a flat top electric stove. Our whole house is electric, and while I prefer cooking on gas, having it installed was too costly for us. I find my stove easy to clean and it does look nice. A plus is it give me a flat surface to work on since I have limited counter space, a drawback is you need to make sure it's cool before you do that. Dh is notorious for throwing things on to the hot surface. Melted baggie of chocolate chips anyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love gas stoves the best. My aunt bought a flat top, she says it's hard to keep clean, and wishes she would have stayed with gas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a flat top electric stove. I hate it.It is hard to clean and I don't like the way it cooks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a flat top electric stove. I've never had a gas stove, so I can't compare electric vs. gas.

I don't find mine hard to keep clean....if I make a mess, I let it completely cool down, squirt some glass cook top cleaner on it and scrub it off. I've had mine for 9 yrs now and I still think it looks great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 36" Wolf range with 4 burners, a griddle, and a hood. The only thing I don't like about it is having to heat a 36" oven if I'm only baking say, a pan of brownies. If I could do it over, I'd have gotten the 48" range with 2 ovens, so I could use the smaller overn when baking something small.

I used to have electric stoves in my renting days, but would never go back now given a choice. I love to cook, and gas just gives me more control especially when it comes to simmering, plus I like cooking with fire!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have Kenmore flat top electric range. It is very useful if you have a small counter coz you can surely use it. It is hard to clean if water or food, especially anything with sugar, comes off the pot and goes to the flat top, you are going to hate it. And if you have kids who don't even look if the element is still hot (red light is on to let PEOPLE know it is still hot) and would put different things on top of it, it will be frustrating. But my whole house is electric so I have a sign, "I'M BURNING" and it's always on my stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an electric stove. Its a drop in. Its the way the kitchen is built so theres no choice. Its a $1000 stove which is how much it cost and it cooks not better then the $400 electric stove I had in my last house

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a regular electric stove. My apartment was gas and I loved it, but was very nervous about the pilot light going out.
    A few years ago I was looking at getting a flat top elect stove, but I do a lot of canning and the canning kettle I have specifically states not to use on a flat top stove because it could make the stovetop so hot, it could crack. I bought a burner stove instead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have gas. I grew up with electric. I'll take Gas any day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Maytag flat top and it is easy to clean, but, the pans I have are not completely flat on the bottom so they spin and jump around...I will not buy new pots as they are revere wear and were expensive...also the oven does not heat up very fast...I don't see the thing having a long life...Since we do not have gas out here, when the time comes I will go back to coils

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a flat top and Im not terribly fond of it. I find it hard to clean even with the special cleaner you can get. MOST stuff comes off but if you happen to boil something over its alot of muscle to get it off. My DH wanted the flat top....so it is officially his job to clean it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've seen a half dozen flat top ranges with rings and marks around the burners. I don't know if it is due to the quality of the cook top or the abuse from the users. They just never look as good as they do in the shops.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a gas range with a glass top (where the grids rest on the top of it). This is preferable over the one that I have at my mountain house where the top of the stove is concaved. I hate that stove because it is so hard to clean. The one I have at my house you just lift the grids off the glass, use a razor scraper, and wipe clean. It looks as new as the day I bought it and I cook alot! That is a GE Pofile stove, bought probably 7 or 8 years ago. I don't know if they even kept that design but it's really great! I love gas to cook on, so much that I had propane put in the mountain house specifically to cook with! I would never go back to electric....I really lust over the gas viking ranges and would love to have one, however my frugal self kicks in and says really not practical to buy one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really lust over the gas viking ranges and would love to have one, however my frugal self kicks in and says really not practical to buy one!
    You're really not missing out on anything. I initially bought a Viking, but after using it for a couple of days, I was very disappointed with the workmanship and performance. The Kenmore I had them cart away was better. I ended up having the Viking replaced with the Wolf. Now THAT'S a range I'll recommend!
    Last edited by The Muse; 08-18-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast