Freezer buying question
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Freezer buying question

For my bday my hubby is going to buy me a freezer for our basement (I know, very romantic isnt it lol). I am not sure what I should be looking for. I don't need anything too big but I def don't want something that we can't use for a long time. We are a family of four so I would imagine that we would be using it for extras. Can anyone give me ideas as to what to look for and what price range? Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had mine for about 18 years now so I'm not much help on current prices etc. But we are a family of four, and both my dh and ds hunt and fish. That was our original reason for the freezer. With that info, I believe it's 13 cubic feet. It has been plenty big enough for our use, and at times has been too big.

If you have kids get one with a lock. Mine is a chest freezer; a personal preference over an upright. I find bread stays much better in a chest freezer over the freezer over the fridge. Also, mine is a manual defrost which I prefer. I read once that the self-defrosting freezer constantly changes temperature - warmer, colder, warmer, colder - which keeps the frost from building. But that same temp. change allows items like bread to defrost slightly, refreeze, defrost, refreeze etc. This can give it that stale freezer feel to it -yucky for sure. The manual defrost won't do that. I have noticed the difference and never keep bread in my fridge freezer, always in the chest.

Also, an upright will lose it's cold air every time you open door. A chest keeps the cold air down low and the air doesn't rise and escape when you open the lid. Keeping a chest organized is not hard if you use the racks wisely. I purchased metal shelving from walmart for mine for extra organization.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pay attention to the efficiency of the freezer you buy. They can be power hungry! The size that you will want will depend on what you intend to fill it with. If you want to use it for garden surplus go bigger. Bread also takes up a lot of space. Chest or upright? A chest freezer is more energy efficient but an upright is easier imho to use. I have a small square chest freezer and it is always full (there are 3 of us). I would have liked a larger upright freezer but this one was my favorite price....free

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a small chest freezer that I bought off a friend for very cheap. It has the star effieciency rating. It is self defrost, but as long as you keep it full it doesn't frost up. It is just DH and myself so the bottom of the freezer is full of milk jugs with water, if you keep it full it uses less electricity. And the jugs of ice come in handy when filling up a cooler for drinks or a picnic. We just get out the old hammer and smash away at the jug.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a mid-size chest freezer from Sears. It had a dent and they took off 10%. I think we paid $250 or something like that. It has been well used - had it about a year and a half.

Definitely determine what you want to use it for. Also, the space you have for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have one of each.

Pros of an upright:
    Easier to find everything.
    Easier to clean.
    Easier to move.
    Needs less space than a chest type.

Cons:
    Usually more expensive
    Usually uses more electricity.

Pros of a chest freezer:
    Cheaper than an upright.
    Seems to freeze better/quicker.

Cons:
    Heavier.
    Harder to find things and to get them out (especially if your a shorter person).

A couple things that I would consider:
    Obviously the first thing being cubic feet. For a Family of 4, you don't need the largest size, but I defiantely wouldn't go with the smallest.
    I would go take a look at a couple different appliance stores to get a feel for the sizes. When shopping for one, also give consideration of what you will be freezing.
    If your planning on freezing smaller items, then an upright might be a better choice.
    If your looking into doing large amounts of items, then I would suggets a chest freezer.
    Also on the size, when looking at them, go a size bigger than you think you'll need. I would much rather have a bit too much room than not enough, and as others have already suggested, you can always store frozen water in it to make it run more efficiently.

I would suggest a manual defrost, regardless of which type you buy. They use less electricity. Also another biggie for me is to look for the energystar brands, overall they are usually cheaper to operate, or at least you'll have a general idea of how much it will cost you per year to operate.

I also would not recommend buying second hand, *unless* it's less than 5 years old. Alot of the older models can really cut into your electricity bill.

As for price? I would say somewhere around the ballpark of $300.00, again depending alot on what you buy and of course where you buy it.

As for getting it as a present? I don't think that's crazy at all. I much more appreciate a practical gift that can be used for years & years, than something that might only get a short amount of use.
    That is a great gift!! Congrats!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really prefer my upright for the simple fact that I am short and things always seem to get buried and forgotten on the bottom of chest freezers. You may be far more organized than we are. We have a 21-cubic-foot upright and we sometimes need more room. A lot of your decision will be based on what you use it for.

It's just two of us in the house, but we live so far from shopping that we use it to store things long-term. I buy milk by the gallon and put it in small bottles in the freezer. I keep pie crusts, DH's frozen fish, pecans which keep for a very long time in the freezer, of course meats, juice from blackberry and muscadine crops, etc. I put all flour and corn meal through the freezer at least 24 hours.

Let us know what you decide.