Another Appliance Death
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Another Appliance Death

~First my car battery, then the dryer and then our dvd player. Weird that things seem to come in 3's. Anywho, I'm looking for some opinions on the dryer. It just stopped in the middle of a cycle. I thought it was a blown circuit so I tripped it and still nothing. DH an I have absolutely no idea what to do to try to fix it but we're open to suggestions and sources for DIY! It's 7.5 years old. Do you think it'd be better to have someone else fix it(if we can't) or should we buy another one? TIA!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If it's that old, you could call in a technician and see what he/she thinks. Have him/her show you the part that has blown, look up prices online for the part and see if you can replace it yourself. If not, with a dryer being that old, I'd look at getting a new one. I hear with the upcoming sales, washers and dryers are going to be hot commodities. (Sears is offering their washer/dryer pairs for $599.99)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could look online to see if you can figure out what is wrong with it.

Also, look on freecycle for a free dryer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Thanks! DH tried to figure out how to look inside the thing but it's completely bolted shut. We think that we're supposed to pry up the top and remove the drum to access the motor but DH can't seem to pry the stupid thing up. It's a Maytag Performa. And it was $400 new(eeeps!). I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to consult a handyman(for a fee $$$) and then get parts(more $$$)if we may only get 2 or 3 more years out of it. How long is a dryer supposed to last anyway?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I am not sure this will work for yours, but this is how to raise the top of my kenmore. In the seam where the top meets the front panel I insert a thin scraper or putty knife. On the end of each side, there are latches that must be pushed towards the back of the dryer. This releases the top and allows it to be raised and gives access to the drum. If the motor is still running, it could be a belt. If not, it could be an over temperature switch. This switch senses heat and shuts the dryer down if it becomes dangerously hot. I had to replace this swich on mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try these links:

http://www.fixya.com/support/p47023-...rforma_pav2200

www.appliance411.com/service/repairmanual.shtml

www.fixitnow.com

The second one is the actual manual for the Maytag Performa, in case you've misplaced yours.

Also, you can Google "Maytag Performa, repair tips" and you will get scads of hits/sites that should be of help (I've saved over $250.00 in labor alone - not including parts - by looking up my Maytag dryer online and learning how to change the dryer belt, heating element, perform general maintenance, etc.).

Holler if you still can't find what you need...I'll be online most of today/tomorrow (job hunting), and check out this Site to help ease the stress.

Take care, you'll be a Maytag pro in no time!

Anna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Thanks for all the help everybody! I'll show those sites to my DH when he gets home. My dad is gonna come look at it tomorrow but he isn't too hopeful that the part/s will be cheap. A few message boards I've read suggested it might be a thermal ignition, which would run around $40. My dad said that since it doesn't work AT ALL it might be 'the brain', which would run $100+. I have no idea what he meant by that, lol!~