Humidifier combating heater?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Humidifier combating heater?

I have a question for those who use humidifiers in their homes in the winter. I absolutely need them in our house because it gets very dry here in winter, especially with the heat on, and my skin and sinuses are miserable when it's too dry.

Well, we currently have a large unit sitting downstairs and it's the kind that blows out cold mist with a fan. Now, I can't help but think that all the cold air it's blowing out is working against the heat! Fiance doesn't believe it has any impact. But this morning I've had our heat set to 70 for hours and it's just not warm in here, and I'm even wearing a long sleeved shirt, jeans, thick socks, and am wandering around with a fleece blanket.

Doesn't it seem that we're really using up extra electricity to turn on the baseboard heaters and at the same time have this thing blowing out cold mist?

In the bedroom we have a small humidifier that works by boiling the water and releasing the steam. When we're trying to keep the room warm anyway, the steam unit seems to make more sense.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do the steam as it seems to not make it as cold. I know they say you can also add a pan of water on the stove to simmer, it works great also. I just hate having the cold air, so I use the steam ones in the winter and the cold ones in the summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree the cool mists make it colder. We had one in my sons room and it would be freezing in there come morning when the rest of the house was warm. Now I use the steam vaporizers for my sons room and I keep a pot of water on the woodburner. It's nice and I usually add a drop of vanilla and cinimman and it makes the house smell nice too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you ad salt in the water with the one that boils the water, it speeds up the process.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you might be correct that the humidifier is cooling the air. In dry climates, swamp coolers are used to cool the air. I would think that a humidifier would work in a similar fashion inside a warm house in winter time where the humidity is very low.