Gas vs Electric Hot Water Heater
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gas vs Electric Hot Water Heater

Currently, we have an older 40 gal gas hot water heater.
    Our gas bill has been high ($200), & the probably from the water heater.
    Because of the gas bill, the age of the WH & the rust forming on the outside of it, it's time to think about replacing it.

My neighbors recently converted from gas to electric because of the cost of replacing the gas WH. The gas is $749, the electric is $319 !! I priced these out myself at the appliance store last week. Used to be gas was cheaper, but not sure if that is the case anymore.

It's considerable savings right off the top just going with the electric unit. If I thought we'd save the difference with energy use I'd pay extra for the gas.

I'm going to call the energy co today & see if they can give me any ideas on usage costs.

Any one here have any experience or knowledge on the differences?

thanks....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have always found that gas appliances cost more up front, but saved money in the long run because gas was cheaper.

A friend and I live in the same area in the same size houses that were built in the same time period. Hers is all electric and mine has gas heat and water heater. My total costs per month (gas and electric combined) are always lower than her electric.

I will be upgrading my electric cooktop and wall ovens to gas soon. So I am expecting my monthly gas and water to be even lower than my friend's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a gas water heater, stove, furnace and fireplace. We keep our water hot (B marking on dial), I cook a lot and our house averaging 68. Our bill is around $90 ish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a good article with a small comparison chart a little less than half way down.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...erheaters.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your BEST option (although more expensive up front) would be to replace the gas tank water heater with a tankless model - the gas only heats the water when you open a faucet, they are about $900 to install, BUT very cheap to operate.

Second choice would be electric WITH a timer (a separate box an electrician installs - about $40) That way, the heater is only on what hours of the day you set it. We had ours set for 5-10am and 5-10pm, this was plenty for our family of four. You can override it with the flip of a switch for high demand periods, and it is easy to re-set if your needs change.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never give up my gas stove in a million years.

Even though gas is really high over all I think gas might be cheaper all around in some areas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCarney View Post
    Your BEST option (although more expensive up front) would be to replace the gas tank water heater with a tankless model - the gas only heats the water when you open a faucet, they are about $900 to install, BUT very cheap to operate.
    There have been two threads on the tankless water heaters on here - so do a search and read them. (sorry, just removed them from my favorites a couple days ago) They aren't all they are cracked up to be when you start researching them. And the elec. in your house may not be able to handle the tankless........very expensive.

Mine WH is dying too and I will be staying with just the regular gas heater when it goes.

The other thing - no matter what you pick - is get the water heater 'blanket' (about $20 - $25) at Lowe's and put it on your new heater. They really do pay for themselves in a short time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Side note, the only tankless I would buy would be gas - the electric tankless models are not nearly as good, and much more expensive to use.