Deep Freezers

Thread: Deep Freezers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Deep Freezers

I am "in the market" for a deep freeze so I can try to maximize savings when I am shopping. There are only 2 of us (for now ) and we use very little.
    I just realized how many options there are!
    I need help, I want something efficient, don't want to spend too much & not sure what is a need vs. a want when it comes to these things!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First, I'd try to figure out how much of what kind of stuff you'll store in it.

I mean, if it's pretty much just going to be meat and a few packets of veggies then a small one will do.

We buy 1/2 cow every year, needless to say we need a pretty big freezer.

The size should be based on how much goes into it, because a freezer runs much more efficiently when it's nearly full all the time.

Also do you own or rent? You might want to go a bit smaller if you'll have to move the thing much.

Is there a permanent location for the beastie.. and which will fit there better, upright or chest?

If you get a chest freezer, my advice is to get one with the basket inserts, trying to retrieve a 5 lb. roast from the very bottom when it's buried in other frozen meat can be an olympic sport, especially if you're not particularly tall.

I'd be sure to look for one with the energy-star logo on it! It can save you a bundle over the lifetime of the appliance. And since they practically never wear out, you'll be paying for that electrical efficiency (or otherwise) for a long time.

Also be sure to look around for the very best price on the model you want, and search any of the internet "coupon" or "code" sites for discounts.. I can usually find between 20% and 40% off, or free shipping.

Even if you don't actually want to buy it online.. if you put it in the "basket" and apply the coupon, then print the page a lot of times the brick and mortar store will match the price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another option... Although a free-standing freezer can be a wonderful convenience and a great place to keep all kinds of bargains, garden produce, and home baked goodies, you may also want to consider the value of what you would keep in it against what you would pay for additional electricity. Freezers are designed to work at room temperature (70°F), not a garage that gets extremely hot in the summer, so if you have to place it outside your home, the cost of energy will go up.

The option... Replace your refrigerator.

Four years ago we moved into a new home and had to leave our refrigerator in the townhouse we sold, gave our 3/4-size upright freezer to hubby's sister; and we got a new Energy Star rated side-by-side refrigerator freezer. The freezer space is equal to what we had in our free-standing freezer and is a great size for the two of us.

The ACTUAL energy use, when we checked it with a Kill-A-Watt Meter, was 7-cents per day. No water dispenser or ice maker/dispenser, which add to the energy use and take up food storage space; and we switched out the incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs for more energy savings.

If you have an older refrigerator, you may be money ahead in the long run replacing it with a larger energy efficient model and gain more freezer space that way, rather than adding a free-standing freezer.

With energy prices doing nothing but going up, we chose ONE energy efficient unit over two (and the small freezer was an energy HOG) and have incorporated other methods of home food preservation besides a freezer, such as dehydration and other types of foods in home storage, we have freeze-dried food from all the food groups in our long-term emergency food storage - enough for more than a year.

Freezers tend to be filled with your major food dollars - MEAT! One week-long power outage during an ice storm made us glad we didn't have a freezer anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I prefer the upright freezer to the chest type, it is much easier to get at the contents.

Look into appliance rebates for your state. A number of states will have programs this year encouraging people to buy energy efficient. It may mean you need to buy a more expensive model, though.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    Another option... Although a free-standing freezer can be a wonderful convenience and a great place to keep all kinds of bargains, garden produce, and home baked goodies, you may also want to consider the value of what you would keep in it against what you would pay for additional electricity. Freezers are designed to work at room temperature (70°F), not a garage that gets extremely hot in the summer, so if you have to place it outside your home, the cost of energy will go up.

The option... Replace your refrigerator.

Four years ago we moved into a new home and had to leave our refrigerator in the townhouse we sold, gave our 3/4-size upright freezer to hubby's sister; and we got a new Energy Star rated side-by-side refrigerator freezer. The freezer space is equal to what we had in our free-standing freezer and is a great size for the two of us.

The ACTUAL energy use, when we checked it with a Kill-A-Watt Meter, was 7-cents per day. No water dispenser or ice maker/dispenser, which add to the energy use and take up food storage space; and we switched out the incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs for more energy savings.

If you have an older refrigerator, you may be money ahead in the long run replacing it with a larger energy efficient model and gain more freezer space that way, rather than adding a free-standing freezer.

With energy prices doing nothing but going up, we chose ONE energy efficient unit over two (and the small freezer was an energy HOG) and have incorporated other methods of home food preservation besides a freezer, such as dehydration and other types of foods in home storage, we have freeze-dried food from all the food groups in our long-term emergency food storage - enough for more than a year.

Freezers tend to be filled with your major food dollars - MEAT! One week-long power outage during an ice storm made us glad we didn't have a freezer anymore.
    I've actually decided to get rid of our deep freeze for the reasons you gave. Your post has just reminded me of the reasons to get rid of it. It's in the garage and in Texas our hot summers will mean lots more energy. Plus I found that I would forget what was in the freezer and ruin food through freezer burn. Thanks again!

Christy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the great advise! It will actually be in a basement in NY, so I don't think the issues of heat around it will really apply. (Different story back in FL, where we are from) Unfortunately, we will be renting for the time being, and might be for a while, so replacing the one in the townhouse is not an option.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A chest freezer is more efficient and less expensive, but as someone else said, an upright is easier. That's what I got, and have not regretted it. I don't "lose" things in it as easily and it's much easier to clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer my chest freezer but you do have to organize it.

Here is a prior thread with info about chest freezers......lots on here like the upright.....I don't.

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...t-freezer.html

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Be sure you actually need one and that it will end up saving you money instead of costing you money. If there are only two of you and you don't use much, are you going to be able to use up a freezer full of food before it goes bad?

We have a fairly large freezer on our refrigerator and I find that, without a teenager in the house, it is more than enough room to take advantage of sales, in amounts that we will use in a reasonable timeframe. Also, having limited freezer space encourages me to actually use what we have, rather than just letting it sit forever while I continue go out and buy more. My deep freeze hasn't been plugged in for months, and we are not taking it when we leave. Unless we get to a point where I buy beef by the side, have a large productive garden, or otherwise have free access to large quantities of perishable food, I don't think we will replace it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    Be sure you actually need one and that it will end up saving you money instead of costing you money. If there are only two of you and you don't use much, are you going to be able to use up a freezer full of food before it goes bad?

We have a fairly large freezer on our refrigerator and I find that, without a teenager in the house, it is more than enough room to take advantage of sales, in amounts that we will use in a reasonable timeframe. Also, having limited freezer space encourages me to actually use what we have, rather than just letting it sit forever while I continue go out and buy more. My deep freeze hasn't been plugged in for months, and we are not taking it when we leave. Unless we get to a point where I buy beef by the side, have a large productive garden, or otherwise have free access to large quantities of perishable food, I don't think we will replace it.
    I have done the math and it will definitely benefit us. The DH eats a lot of meat, okra and corn... throw in the frozen Chinese and pizza for easy meals on occasion. I am left with no room to make food to freeze and reheat. Or even think of buying certain things in bulk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is just DH and I and we have a small chest freezer. We bought it about 12 years ago from a friend and it has been the best thing ever. When we are a little low on food I keep milk jugs full of water in the bottom to make sure it is full. But garden start producing, I will be filling it up in no time. Since my canning skills suck(I spoiled 9 qts of beans and I followed recipe to a t) I will be doing more freezing and less wasting.