Compact Washer

Thread: Compact Washer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Compact Washer

I am considering buying a compact washer for my apartment. It is just two of us and I am tired of the nasty laundry mat. This is the one I am thinking of getting.

Walmart.com: Haier 1-Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine: Appliances

Please let me know if you have any experience with something like this.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

only a cubic foot. about the size of your microwave oven. wouldn't it be easier to wash in the bathtub? or buy a real washer and dryer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you're going to invest in a tiny washer - why not try those portable hand cranking ones instead? Its manually powered so there will be no increase to your hydro bill & you can hang dry the clothes after.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm tired of hauling clothes to the laundry room too (though ours at the apartment is ok), so I looked at it. It got some really good reviews. I would not mind small loads since I would be hime to attend to them, and living my myself, I don't have all that much laundry. I'm filing this away to perhaps consider later on.

If you get one, please let us know how you like it.

At one time I had the manual Wonder Wash (I think it was called). It was small too, and the loads were small, but I could get more in that than I thought. However, if you have a lot of heavy things to wash like jeans, you will probably have to do more loads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had an under-counter washer/dryer combo from this manufacturer in our last apartment. I hated ours, but it was the dryer function I hated so much; everything came out wrinkled unless you practically stood over top of it taking items out as they dried. The wash function did work just fine IMO, though. That is awfully small though. I don't remember the cubic ft. on ours, but I remember it was 14 lb. capacity, so yours will be half that. I was able to do 2 pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts for BF, and several of my tank tops with maybe a pair of shorts and a skirt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    only a cubic foot. about the size of your microwave oven. wouldn't it be easier to wash in the bathtub? or buy a real washer and dryer?
    We don't have washer/dryer hook ups in our apartment or I would be all over a washer & dryer. The only thing about tub washing or washing with the manual hand crank washer is that I can never get all of the water out and they end up dripping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would really look at the weight rating.. one pair of my DH's carharts wet is over 14 pounds..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd buy it in a New York Minute!!! (Under the circumstances.)

I've done laundry in our non-electric washer I bought from Lehman's (www.lehmans.com), and I have a mop bucket with a wringer that catches the water to press out the excess water - Side Pressure Combo Mop Bucket & Wringer, 32 Qt # WAVECOMBO by Casey Emi to aid in the process.

Wringing clothes out by hand is a LOT of work. Especially if you're like me and have arthritis in your fingers, carpal tunnel in your wrists, and tennis elbow.

Do you have drying racks where you can hang your clothes to dry? portable clothes drying racks - Google Product Search

Add a fan to speed the drying up....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW, you know you don't HAVE to have a washer hook up to run a normal washer, right?

You really only need access to water and a drain. You can get an adapter at lowes that if you take the filter off your faucet will let you screw a water hose right in. You could also, just manually pour water into the machine

As for a drain you could either use a deep sink or the tub or even a bucket to catch from the disposal hose and manually pour that down the sink, drain or even commode. Heck even outside on your flowers.

I got an HE and it only uses a few gallons per load so I could hook it up to a faucet and sit a 5 gallon bucket for it to drain in and not need hook ups.

For electricity all washers use 110 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I currently air dry my clothes but am thinking about one of the small dryers to fluff them and give them the "I was dried in a dryer" look.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    BTW, you know you don't HAVE to have a washer hook up to run a normal washer, right?

You really only need access to water and a drain. You can get an adapter at lowes that if you take the filter off your faucet will let you screw a water hose right in. You could also, just manually pour water into the machine

As for a drain you could either use a deep sink or the tub or even a bucket to catch from the disposal hose and manually pour that down the sink, drain or even commode. Heck even outside on your flowers.

I got an HE and it only uses a few gallons per load so I could hook it up to a faucet and sit a 5 gallon bucket for it to drain in and not need hook ups.

For electricity all washers use 110 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I currently air dry my clothes but am thinking about one of the small dryers to fluff them and give them the "I was dried in a dryer" look.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it goes.
    Actually the Haier we had was 220v. I actually read the manual and it explained why the wash & dry cycles would take upwards of 2-2 1/2 hours to complete, and it's because it was 220v instead of 110.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's the dryer part that makes it 220v

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was in Germany I had a regular sized washer in my bathroom. I hooked it up to the sink and put the drain hose in the tub. I washed everything in cold water, but that saves money too.