Trying to avoid calling plumber for washing machine
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Trying to avoid calling plumber for washing machine

My washing machine is overflowing at the floor when it drains. At first it was just a little, but now it overflows a lot. We've had to quit using it, and the laundrymat is killing me. We tried snaking it, and I was wondering if there's such a thing as a washing machine not putting out enough pressure to force the water through the pipes. It's very old. Does anyone have any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You may have a cracked hose or a broken hose connector. The way that service techs determine which hose is likely to be broken is to put a sheet of newspaper under your washer and run it until it just starts to leak. Make sure you had the washer set to fill the tank as little as possible (the smallest load setting).

Do this in this EXACT order: Turn it off, UNPLUG IT and then pull out the paper. This will show you (roughly) where the leak is. If it's too bad of course, this won't help as the entire paper will be soaked.

Tilt the washer back towards the wall and balance it, if you can do this safely, or get someone to help, and see if you can find the leaky hose or connector. If you can, then you can remove it (put a bucket under it first to catch whatever water is still in it when you do this) then look it up online and buy the replacement part and put it on.

There are other things that leak, but the rubber wears out in hoses, the clamps rust and vibration moves the the clamps from where they should be.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH A WASHING MACHINE WITH WATER WHILE IT IS PLUGGED IN IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

IHTH --

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Run an empty load until it starts to over flow (or just pour water down the drain until the same thing happens). Then have someone flush your main toilet while you watch the overflow area. If it overflows more, stop, get ready to spend $200 and call a local drain cleaner service. We just had a couple basketball volumes of tree root mass removed from our lateral sewer line. Started out as a washing machine overflow, so we went to laundromat and dumped some liquid plumber. The following weekend we went down to see if the liquid plumber worked and were greeted by a bunch of toilet paper detritus.

If you are on city sewer, check to see if either neighbor is having same issue - if so, call city water department (probably fire department non-emergency line on weekend / evening).

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When mine starts to overflow it's time to snake out the pipe the water hose goes into.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a similar issue a few years ago. Our problem was that the drain pipe in the wall wasn't large enough. Called the plumber and he said that it used to be standard to use a certain size pipe and that new houses are built with a larger diameter pipe. He told me how to fix it. Instead of him having to charge $250, it was $50 for the service call and the cost of pipe for DH to fix it. Since then, no problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you need an appliance repairman, not a plumber - but you can get a Washer so cheap at a scratch and dent store that a repairman may be a waste.

Is there a local repair / parts shop in your area? Get the brand/model number, go there and describe the problem and see if they'll sell you the parts you need to fix it. Or have them send someone out but say, "if the repair costs are going to be more than your cheapest washer on the floor, will you wave his fee for coming out if we buy that washer instead?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you may want to check out Youtube for instructional videos on checking your washer. You would be amazed at what you can find on there.

If it was me I would do as Judydial said and at least open it up and see for yourself. you never know you may be able to rig it back together good enough to last until you can buy another one.

I got my last one as a Scratch and dent from Lowes for a little less than half price.