Gas Cooktop

Thread: Gas Cooktop

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Gas Cooktop

We're looking at a house that has a gas (propane) cooktop - built in to the counter, separate from the oven.

I've never cooked with gas in my life and don't know anyone who has one.
    Is it hard to learn how to use?
    Is it hard to clean?

Also, I think it's been there quite awhile. Is there much that can go wrong with them? Or is it a pretty simple machine compared to an electric stove (with wiring and computers that can go on the fritz). Just wondering what kind of life expectancy it should have. Everything in this house has been very well cared for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had gas in PA, and electric down here. I think gas is much much easier. I had such a hard time getting used to the electric ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find cleaning a gas burner a bit easier...but its pretty much the same. The only big diff is when you clean a burner and then use it - it has that burning smell for a minute or so. Gas doesn't see to have that.

I prefer cooking with gas..instant heat control vs electric where you have to factor in warm up and cool down time to get to your desired temp. Plus in a black out, the electric starter may not work on a gas stove but thats why you have a bbq lighter. Then you can keep on cooking!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ditto to what Libby said. My gas stove lasted thirty plus yrs. If it has been well kept you shouldn't have any problems. You could call the propane co. if you wanted to be sure,I suppose.
    I had an electric stove in an apartment once and hated it with a passion. I could never get the top burners regulated and sometimes I would forget that it was on because I was used to seeing a flame.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I far prefer the gas stove. As others have said, instant heat control. It's also easier to clean in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about it is when my swamp cooler is running, the air pushes the flame and heat to the side of whatever I'm cooking in. This makes us have to shut off the swamp cooler to do any stovetop cooking during the summer. The wife also has a hard time realizing there is a large area between full on and barely any flame at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really think its what you are used to. I grew up with electric and had gas in first house. The only thing I like better about gas is that when you need to simmer something after starting it boiling you can cut the heat down quickly. I have electric because I have a smoothtop stove and will not give it up. I also think that electric burns cleaner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have used both....more elec. than gas....don't really have a preference but gas is much faster. Both....to heat up and to turn it down.......like that about it.

I boiled pasta over a lot less with gas!!

I might have it inspected if you had any doubts about it. Or ask when it was installed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will take a gas stove/cooktop ANY day over electric. Gas is generally less expensive. I also like the instant adjustment in heat. I can't tell you how many times I have had things boil over on an electric stove. A gas stove/cooktop is just as easy to maintain as electric if not easier.

I made sure when I bought my house that it had gas heat, water heater, and stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll take gas any day over electric!! The other posters have discussed the ability to control it better. Automatic ignitions take away the disadvantages of pilot lights.

Now, I must assume you have never had an electric burner blow on you. I remember as a child being in the kitchen when Mom's electric burner decided to give up its life. It sounded like a gun shot going off with all the fireworks. It was left with a smoking hole in the end of the swirl. To this day, I cannot be around an electric burner without wanting to take cover.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys, I had heard that it was faster to heat up but it hadn't even occurred to me that it would also be faster to turn down.

As far as I know, the cooktop is the only thing on the propane, I think the oven was electric. We don't have natural gas is this area, so it's not an option for heat/hot water and propane is very expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have gas stove also. (use propane) I really like having this option. Especially when the electricity goes out, I can still cook. I much prefer the gas to electric for all the reasons everyone else has stated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny story - When we lost power for several weeks due to a hurricane, my nephew was complaining that he couldn't heat something on the stove due to the power outage. The stove was gas, BUT it had electronic ignition. My brother lit a match, turned on a burner, and lit it. You would have thought my brother was GOD! My nephew was amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by jantana View Post
    We have gas stove also. (use propane) I really like having this option. Especially when the electricity goes out, I can still cook. I much prefer the gas to electric for all the reasons everyone else has stated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I would rather have a gas stove with an electric oven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I prefer cooking on a gas stove. But we've had only electric for many years. I can't smell gas, and DH isn't convinced that the newer gas stoves don't leak the way they used to when the pilot light went out!