I hate my dishwasher
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I hate my dishwasher

I have cleaned and cleaned the stupid filter and numerous parts in the bottom. They get so gunked up. The dishes end up covered in small speckles of...garbage?

I rinse my dishes first, I use JetDry and only liquid gel dishwasher soap, I have tried various dishwasher soaps, and just recently I ran a load with just a few glasses and vinegar only. Guess what, ALL the glasses were covered with GRIT and that was with all the parts in the bottom removed. (the filter, spigot thing, etc. assembly thing in the bottom)

Hate Hate Hate it.

Now it makes a horrid noise while running which tells me its going to die soon if I don't get it serviced. GRRRR I have NO money for servicing it or buying a new one. So I am going to hand wash. I cannot stand emptying an entire dishwasher full of DIRTY dishes that I just had washed! I am surely spending more $ on rewashing each load than if I just handwashed myself.

Had to vent. I hate it. I hate it.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww, so sorry. That's exactly what happened with our right before it died.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the same problem, but it isn't the dishwasher in my case, but the water. It has destroyed one d/w and is quickly destroying another. Until I get around to installing a whole house filter, I just handwash everything and stick it in the d/w to dry.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine's right behind your's and I agree - It's seriously pissing me off too. I'm going to try some maintenance prior to checking out buying a new one ( and yes I'll buy new cuz' used suck IMHO ).

No way will I go w/o a dw - I'll not cook and the food bill from eating out would negate any $$ saved by not buying a new DW.

One thing that helped mine ( so far ) is I ran it w/ JUST vinegar on the "Pots and Pans" cycle. It takes longer than the regular cycle and it seems to be running better / cleaner since I did that.

I know it's on it's last leg - It's over 15 years old! But Santa didn't bring me a new one. I must've been a bad person this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the suggestion to dry them in the dishwasher. I had things spread ALL over my countertops drying on the counters which was additionally annoying me.

I am debating if I even need one. My daughter is not home much, I've let her know we have to handwash. Maybe I make that a "before leaving the house, do your own dishes" chore.

Hm. Maybe it will become my drying rack instead. For awhile, until I get myself out of my current financial mess.

Thank you for the support, I felt like a prima-donna about it but sheesh I have had a dishwasher for so long, it felt like a necessity in life! It is 7 years old, that's not too old, and before replacing it I could have it looked at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that just plain ole sucks!

i couldnt live a day w/out my dishwasher.LOL

did you try running an empty load w/ a bit of bleach? then an empty load of vinegar? just a thought.

hope ya get it all worked out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks but yes I have run empty loads, cleaned all the filter and parts that come out in the bottom repeatedly. The latest noise is pretty horrid sounding.

A kinda-update, my boyfriend said he will look at it for me when he comes out in February but doesn't think he can fix it. He's a handy-man but not a dishwasher repair man. Worth a shot and nothing to lose eh?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hopefully it will be an easy fix for him. best of luck.

i just thought i would throw the ideas out there

you know, awhile back there was a post about some type of cleaner that worked wonders for someone here on FV. of course i cant remember what it was called, maybe someone can chime in on that one and help you out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That does suck.

Have you done any searching online to see if you can find some suggestions..........or ways of fixing it.

Mine cleans but is so noisy........that is the brand though.......won't buy 'cheapo' again! (but it has lasted for years!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    That does suck.

Have you done any searching online to see if you can find some suggestions..........or ways of fixing it.

Mine cleans but is so noisy........that is the brand though.......won't buy 'cheapo' again! (but it has lasted for years!)
    I jumped up to see what kind mine is: Frigidaire, Gallery, "Ultra Quiet", I laughed out loud, it has never been ultra quiet and now its Ultra Horrid.

hahaha!

Today I am counting my blessings. It lasted 7 years, it could possibly get revived once I get the money for a service call or I could leave it for a couple of years and that way I appreciate it again. Nothin' like doing without to appreciate what one has, right?

I wuv this forum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Every couple months I use this: FINISH® Dishwasher Cleaner - Dishwasher Cleaning Products | FINISH®. Ours gets gunky and this seems to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

had the same problem and finally tried the new Finish Quantum tabs. They are price but worked great.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

krbshappy, I sure hope your boyfriend is able to figure it out. My DH went through a repair guy website and troubleshooted. Changed all the filters and all like you, ran special cleaner stuff, cleaned all the gunk out, NADA.

Repair guy says it's either the mother board or another equally expensive part. We'd have to take a shot and pick one and see if it fixed the problem, if not do the other repair. *sigh* A lot of money even if we pick the right problem in the first place. Basically he told us that if we called someone to our house that it would cost as much as a new good dishwasher in the end. Better to try and fix it ourselves, even though he said that would be really expensive too.

This is the third dishwasher since we bought this house! I'm thinking that we really need to buy a really expensive Bosch next time, or maybe an industrial one! I'll be hand washing dishes till the year 2020!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a Bosch dishwasher for Christmas. It's amazing. I recommend saving up for one because it is well worth the money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been washing dishes by hand for about 40 years. Then one day I moved and there was a DISHWASHER. But having already sworn to being frugal I hardly use it. Until recently, I now am starting to become more dependant on running it since I want clean dishes but have really full days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast