Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Carbon Monoxide Detectors

If you don't have one.......get one now.

We have an old one that hangs on the wall and uses batteries and I noticed a year or so ago that it wasn't working anymore. I saw a piece on tv that said the ones that plug in with a battery backup are better so I put it on my shopping to-do list and never got around to getting one until a month ago.

Last night at 3 am, the carbon monoxide detector went off and after DH and I got all the dogs out of the house, I called the fire department. They said that the levels in our house were the highest in the master bedroom, where we were sleeping. They had us evacuate the house until we could get a heating/cooling person out to check the furnace in the morning.

Thank goodness I finally bought a detector so I wanted to warn anyone without one to buy one. It could save your life. Our furnace is only 8-9 years old so I never thought this would happen to us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh got a free one from a friend of his who works at the fire Dept. He hasn't put it up yet. I'll have to remind him again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the reminder. I am so glad you all were OK, and everyone is safe and sound.

Blessings,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the reminder and so glad your family is okay. Ours needs batteries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the ones that plug into a regular AC with battery backup (except that it squawks when the power goes out). Our hardwired one malfunctioned during one of the boy's sleepovers. The kids got to play in the cold and watch the big red truck come up. That was fun telling parents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Luckily they come around twice a year to check the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. I am so glad you were able to get out of the house. And thank you for sending out a reminder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very good of you to remind people. ours went off about a month ago. the gas co. asked if we recently had work done on the house. we had. we had an addition put on. well, apparently SOMEONE put the old metal drip edge down our chimney and it was blocking a hole. how does a 10 ft. or however many feet it was fall into a chimney????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How scary!

We have 2, one for each level of the house. An easy way to keep your home and family safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ours is about 2 years old (the furnace, not the detector) and we were even told by the home inspector to get one. It was instructed to us to put it on the lowest level of the home since carbon monoxide is extremely dense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow........so glad you got out WITH THE ANIMALS.

I have one on each level but they aren't plug in....maybe I will get another --plug in --for the lower level.

What did they find out was wrong? What would be the reason that it was highest in your bedroom? Where is the furnace?

My furnace is in the basement........and have always heard that you should have one near it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you are ok. We don't have one but I will get one after reading this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

glad u found out what it was

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
    The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.
    Thanks for answering.

Also makes me feel better about where I put the one upstairs (out in a hallway) BUT have been thinking about getting one for the LR and now I know I will FOR SURE, but change the place I was going to put it.

My furnace and water heater (both gas) are in the basement and I have one down there --not far from the furnace.......thanks again!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW! So glad you are all OK - great reminder.
    Our new house (we bought last March) has a hard-wired CO detector. and an ELECTRIC furnace and water heater and stove. Haven't figured that one out yet.......
    The mom of the baby I work with wanted me to help her bring the generator in the house during the ice storm!!! I pointed out that it would kill us all, and she didn't know why!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast