Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User RABBIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Carbon Monoxide Detectors

    If you don't have one.......get one now.

    We have an old one that hangs on the wall and uses batteries and I noticed a year or so ago that it wasn't working anymore. I saw a piece on tv that said the ones that plug in with a battery backup are better so I put it on my shopping to-do list and never got around to getting one until a month ago.

    Last night at 3 am, the carbon monoxide detector went off and after DH and I got all the dogs out of the house, I called the fire department. They said that the levels in our house were the highest in the master bedroom, where we were sleeping. They had us evacuate the house until we could get a heating/cooling person out to check the furnace in the morning.

    Thank goodness I finally bought a detector so I wanted to warn anyone without one to buy one. It could save your life. Our furnace is only 8-9 years old so I never thought this would happen to us.

  2. #2
    Registered User Trishagirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northeastern Indiana
    Posts
    3,091
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Dh got a free one from a friend of his who works at the fire Dept. He hasn't put it up yet. I'll have to remind him again.

  3. #3
    Registered User HappyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On a Cloud in the Midwest
    Posts
    1,946
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Thanks for the reminder. I am so glad you all were OK, and everyone is safe and sound.

    Blessings,

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,457
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Thanks for the reminder and so glad your family is okay. Ours needs batteries.

  6. #5
    Registered User 2ndGenGranola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Mexico
    Age
    55
    Posts
    906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I like the ones that plug into a regular AC with battery backup (except that it squawks when the power goes out). Our hardwired one malfunctioned during one of the boy's sleepovers. The kids got to play in the cold and watch the big red truck come up. That was fun telling parents.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,525
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Luckily they come around twice a year to check the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. I am so glad you were able to get out of the house. And thank you for sending out a reminder.

  8. #7
    Registered User rosey7415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    316
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    very good of you to remind people. ours went off about a month ago. the gas co. asked if we recently had work done on the house. we had. we had an addition put on. well, apparently SOMEONE put the old metal drip edge down our chimney and it was blocking a hole. how does a 10 ft. or however many feet it was fall into a chimney????

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    How scary!

    We have 2, one for each level of the house. An easy way to keep your home and family safe.

  10. #9
    Registered User MomToTwoBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,972
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Ours is about 2 years old (the furnace, not the detector) and we were even told by the home inspector to get one. It was instructed to us to put it on the lowest level of the home since carbon monoxide is extremely dense.

  11. #10
    Registered User frugalfranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PNW in summer---SW in wnter.
    Posts
    12,986
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Wow........so glad you got out WITH THE ANIMALS.

    I have one on each level but they aren't plug in....maybe I will get another --plug in --for the lower level.

    What did they find out was wrong? What would be the reason that it was highest in your bedroom? Where is the furnace?

    My furnace is in the basement........and have always heard that you should have one near it.

  12. #11
    Registered User RABBIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.

  13. #12
    Registered User nodmicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6,988
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    I'm glad you are ok. We don't have one but I will get one after reading this!

  14. #13
    Registered User rosey7415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    316
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    glad u found out what it was

  15. #14
    Registered User frugalfranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PNW in summer---SW in wnter.
    Posts
    12,986
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT View Post
    The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.
    Thanks for answering.

    Also makes me feel better about where I put the one upstairs (out in a hallway) BUT have been thinking about getting one for the LR and now I know I will FOR SURE, but change the place I was going to put it.

    My furnace and water heater (both gas) are in the basement and I have one down there --not far from the furnace.......thanks again!!

  16. #15
    Registered User MaryCarney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    1,743
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    WOW! So glad you are all OK - great reminder.
    Our new house (we bought last March) has a hard-wired CO detector. and an ELECTRIC furnace and water heater and stove. Haven't figured that one out yet.......
    The mom of the baby I work with wanted me to help her bring the generator in the house during the ice storm!!! I pointed out that it would kill us all, and she didn't know why!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Would a carbon capture and storage project work in the US?
    By MomToTwoBoys in forum Green Living
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 03:20 AM
  3. Carbon monoxide detectors and Jan 1 2007
    By JustJoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
  4. Carbon Monoxide Warning!
    By Mom23boys in forum Utilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 11:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •