washer/dryer purchase help!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question washer/dryer purchase help!!

Well my FV family, I have the $ saved to buy a washer and dryer. I am so happy cause I will be paying cash.

So, what do you recommend? Top loader or front loader? I kinda like the look of the front loader and would like to buy that.

What brand? I looked up the Whirlpool Cabrio and it got terrible reviews.

I trust my FV family and depend on you to help me make the best decisions.
    Thank you,
    Sinopa

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not a front loader. probably the only one that will say that here. Maybe.

And go with LG brand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i like LG brand. Why not a front loader? i have no idea what's wrong with them. I guess different isn't that great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a Maytag top loader from Sears, on sale with free setup and takeaway.

It runs very well.

Be sure your water lines are metal and not the black rubber stuff which easily pops a leak.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my LG front loaders, I really only cared about getting the washer in a front loader, but DH wanted me to have the matching set lol. He got me the top of the line, largest size (so I can wash our CA king bedspread easily) for my birthday last year, it was just under $2k for the set on sale at Sears.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got a front loader a few years ago and I don't like it. I wish we had just stayed with a top loader.

-can't put a few things in to soak before starting the load
    -once it starts it is locked(which is good with kids but I miss the fact that I could add stuff to the top loader)
    -if the door seal ever goes we can't use it at all
    That's a few reasons we don't like it that I can think of right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say front loader all the way! I had an Amana top loader first. Now I have a Frigidaire front loader and matching dryer. They are stacked together in the pantry. The only problem we have had with the washer was a clogged filter cup right before the pump that pumps the water out. I was filled with a broken Sams member card, a dog tag, change and dog hair. My husband was able to fix this himself. We have had the set for 4 or 5 years now. They are bottom of the line units!

You can get Lowe's to meet/beat prices. You might be able to get a great deal at Best Buy or Sears, too. Since inventory is coming up, you might find some great sales. At Lowe's, you can also ask about scratch and dent items. If you are worried about the washer breaking, get the extended service plan.

A word about front loaders, when you are finished washing your clothes, leave the door open so the washer can dry out. That will help keep mold from forming. Also, you will use less soap and water with a front loader (10-15 gallons of water vs. 40-50 gallons for a top loader). Your clothes will dry faster, too. It's shocking how much water a front loader can get out of your clothes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lots of other info about front loaders on here.......be sure to read.

Right now, I wouldn't have a front loader.....don't care how much water they save.........at almost twice the price (have come down in $ ONLY slightly).......would take a lot of water to pay for diff.

Have three friends that have them and NONE of them are overly thrilled about them..........one had to replace after only about five years.

I tend to stick with Whirlpool for appliances........have a couple Kenmore and they are "okay".......not sure I would buy that brand again.

BE SURE to read the comments on here..........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only one of LOTS of postings on here about washers.......

(look under appliances for more)

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...ader-help.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a front loader and I like it. But, we are also on a septic tank (a very small septic tank). We have lots of people in a small house and the septic tank is rated for more like three people and we have five. Thankfully, I am the only female.

The front loader uses less water. Before, with a top loader, DH was like "only do one load a day". Now, I can do as many as I want, well, within reason.

It depends on what you want. I would make sure you do lots of research though. We will never recoup the cost of the front loader because we don't pay for water since we are on a well. We are fine with that because of our septic size.

And, yeah, leave the door open on a front loader. They get stinky if you don't. I just leave my door wide open. Some ladies that I know put a towel hanging over the door to keep it open just a crack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been researching W/D for about a year now. The reviews change DAILY!! I still have no idea what to buy. Our are working, top load Maytag, but I hate them. Theya re 8 years old and I have never been impressed. They are super noisy and I think the dryer has always taken too long to dry clothes. My dd has the GE front loaders and I have used them a lot. They are okay and work well for her large family. But I hate that you pretty much have to buy the pedestals....even with me being short, they make them much nicer to use.
    I refuse to buy Kenmore because the Sears here is a nightmare to deal with!!! I'm just going to keep looking and reading.....everyone seems to have conflicting likes and dislikes about them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leaving the door open is not an option for me. It would constantly block the other door in the laundry room!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default washer/dryer purchase help!!

I have had a front loader for 10 years and wouldn't have anything else. my first set were Kenmore's but within 2 years the washer was hit by lightening.

My current fl is a european size Ariston model. Its now 8 years old and still runs great. one advantage to front loader washers is being able to get a built in water heater so your washer doesn't use the same heated water you need for dishes or baths. I didn't get that option but since its only me and my husband there's not a problem.

BTW, I am a laundry nerd and actually belong to a laundry forum.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My Washer....

I bought an Admiral, sold by the Home Depot. They're made by Whirlpool now and seem to be well constructed and not flimsy like before. (First time I looked they had flimsy lids and plastic wash tubs...not anymore).

I've had my Admiral washer for over a year now, and it has given me very good service. It's noisy but it washes well, and has been very reliable. Not bad for a $300 machine. If you go to HD's site, you will see that they get largely positive reviews.

My dryer is a bottom of the line Frigidaire that I picked up a few years ago at Best Buy. I wasn't impressed with their top loading washers, but the dryer has been trouble free too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Start by looking at how many of the settings and options you would actually use. I've seen some washers/dryers that have more than 10 settings we would never even touch. What's the point in paying for that?

If I was to get a new set, the washer would be a top loader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast